Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 150 total)
  • What tipped you to become vegetarian?
  • Premier Icon sirromj

I was sat at the dinner table looking at my 4yo son while eating roast lamb at the weekend and the thought popped into my head that I was basically eating the equivalent of my boy sat in front of me. I found it a bit disturbing, but it’s not the first time I’ve had similar thoughts about eating meat, but as of yet, it hasn’t changed my eating habits. Also, it was near to the end of my meal so the ingrained habit since childhood of not leaving any scrap on my plate then kicked in so finished it all up.

So was curious, did these type of thoughts increase in frequency or cause more disturbance such that you just felt better to stop eating meat, or was it something else that changed your mind?

Premier Icon onewheelgood

In 1989 we thought we’d try being vegetarian for a month, just out of curiosity. At the end of the month we simply couldn’t see a good reason to do back to eating dead animals. So we didn’t.

Premier Icon colin9

I’m not a vegetarian, but I watched a BBC programme on Mad Cow Disease a year or two ago. I was a bit young at the time of the scandal but I found that programme quite shocking and it made me reassess my diet quantity/quality significantly.

Premier Icon Houns

A combination of looking at the animals I was eating and feeling awful about doing so, learning more about how bad meat consumption is for the environment and realising how bad meats and processed meats are for my health.

Been veggie for 3 and a bit years, don’t miss meat at all, in fact the smell and sight of meat cooking now genuinely makes me feel sick (I used to love the smell of roast beef or steak cooking)

I need to make the step and turn vegan, my sugar/cake/chocolate addiction is making it hard

Premier Icon djflexure
    Free Member

My girls wanted to do it. Wife makes great veggie food. Dont miss meat that much.

Premier Icon Houns

(And anyone who says ‘what about bacon’ is a dick :0P )

Premier Icon convert

2 stage process for me. As a poor student I came to the realisation that the very cheap meat I was buying could only be this cheap if corners were being cut with animal welfare/quality of life and/or the environmental aspects of its production. With no more money to buy my way out of the feeling I became pescatarian (who only ate a very small amount of fish). 25 years later sick of feeling a hypocrite by ignoring issues in dairy and commercial fishing whilst refusing meat I finished the job and became vegan.

A friend and work colleague did it best – took on some piglets and raised them to fully grown. Was involved in the slaughter and butchering and finally eating. Decided that was enough for him and is now vegan. I respect his ‘can I look into the whites of my dinner’s eyes’ approach regardless of his decision at the end of it.

Premier Icon whitestone
    Free Member

I was living on my own, got back one day and opened the fridge, the sole contents of which were two sausages. Took them out, cooked and ate them.

The house had a cold slab so butter, marg, cheese were on that. Don’t like milk so didn’t have that to deal with. There was thus no real reason to keep the fridge running so I turned it off and didn’t buy any more meat.

I’m not against eating dead animals, I grew up on a farm for a start, I just don’t wish to.

Premier Icon Duane…
    Free Member

I would like to have as close to a neutral impact on the planet throughout my life time as possible. Positive impact would be even better.

Eating meat would make that a lot harder.

Premier Icon vondally

Killing animals….I worked briefly in a abbittor in the late 1980s, been veggie since.

Premier Icon IHN

(And anyone who says ‘what about bacon’ is a dick :0P )

Well, clearly, because bacon is entirely inferior to sausages 😉

I was sat at the dinner table looking at my 4yo son while eating roast lamb at the weekend and the thought popped into my head that I was basically eating the equivalent of my boy sat in front of me.

You’re not though, are you, that’s just anthropomorphism. And lamb is a pretty hard meat to farm in a cruel/mass produced way in the way chicken, pork and, increasingly, beef is, it’s all basically free range.

This is not to knock vegetarianism though, there needs to be much less meat eaten, mainly because of:

how bad meat consumption is for the environment

We try and stick to ‘happy’ meat (organic, free range) and not a lot of it.

Premier Icon Atomizer

As a student into the whole Anarcho Punk scene – Crass/Conflict/Subhumans, Meat is Murder etc. (still am musically!) so went veggie – not had or missed meat or fish for nearly 40 years.
    Also Dad worked for a pig food manufacturer so sick to death of eating pork and bacon.

Premier Icon peteza
    Free Member

Sounds stupid, but I was driving along listening to the radio and a programme about rat poison came on. The descriptions of how the various poisons work didn’t sound like a great way for the rats to go out and I felt pretty sorry for them. Next thing, I’m looking into fields of lambs hopping around and I decide I don’t really want any animals to die for my benefit if I can help it. So I stopped eating meat.

I guess I’d considered it prior to that, so maybe the rats and lambs just tipped the balance. Lots of reading then gave me a load of environmental and animal-related reasons to be veggie so I stayed with it. Not missed meat at all.

‘Logically’, all my reasons for being veggie should lead me to become vegan. I’ve made a few attempts to go that way but haven’t done so yet.

Premier Icon Mister-P
    Free Member

My daughter is veggie and I was eating veggie meals a lot of the time when cooking for her. I ate meat less and less then stopped completely over 3 years ago. I was never really into bacon, a vastly overrated food in my opinion. It wasn’t for ethical or health reasons, it just happened and I have no desire to go back to eating meat.

Premier Icon nickc

I don’t like meat, so I stopped eating it.

Premier Icon sirromj

A friend and work colleague did it best – took on some piglets and raised them to fully grown. Was involved in the slaughter and butchering and finally eating. Decided that was enough for him and is now vegan. I respect his ‘can I look into the whites of my dinner’s eyes’ approach regardless of his decision at the end of it.

I don’t think I couldn’t raise animals to eat them, I’d definitely get too attached and sympathetic to them 🙂

You’re not though, are you, that’s just anthropomorphism.

Probably, to some extent, but isn’t there some attachment between mother sheep and lamb? Also remember some years ago visiting a farm and there was this little lamb in the corner of the barn, a couple of holes in the wall letting sunbeams through, it literally looked angelic!

Maybe in part seeing my boy’s innocence, comparing it with the innocence of a small animal, barely having had a chance at life in this world before ending up on my plate.

The matrix/factory farming/billions of lives only existing as a product to be eaten… that’s been slowly nudging me also.

Premier Icon Cougar

For me I think I’ve always just found it revolting as a concept, I was never a big meat eater even as a kid. Nothing to do with “oh the poor fluffy bunny wabbits,” I just saw it as dead flesh rather than food and thought it was disgusting. Even when eating stuff like oxtail soup or chicken soup I’d sieve out all the solids first.

The epiphany for me came when I realised that I simply didn’t have to do it. We were eating meat because that’s what society dictated. And we’re fortunate enough to have other options – and many many more today than 30 years ago – so it’s just not necessary. I don’t want to eat this, I don’t have to eat this, so why am I?

It’s wholly cultural. If it were the other way around and being vegetarian was the default, then you went out one day, sliced up a cow and chucked lumps of it under the grill, they’d lock you up as a psychopath. The French eat horse, we’d be appalled to be served that over here (as Tesco discovered not so long ago). Or pop over to somewhere like Vietnam and you can tuck into a nice portion of dog or rat. Do we reckon ratburger, fries and a large cola will be a big seller in McD’s in the UK anytime soon? Why not? What’s the difference?

It’s nothing more than habit. And as I’ve said time and again, “we’ve always done it this way” is the worst reason to do anything. Stop and think for a moment about what you’re eating. Why do you eat lamb but not horse? Why do you eat chicken but not budgerigar? If your conclusion is “I’m happy with this” then cool, you’re making a conscious decision and that’s awesome so crack on. But don’t do it blindly because you always have, that’s just dumb.

You’re not though, are you, that’s just anthropomorphism.

What about your family dog / cat? Would you tuck into Fluffy after being the household pet for 15 years?

That’s not anthropomorphism, they’re still just an animal. So, why not? “Hey little Hermione, how was the pie? Tasty? Well… you’ll never guess but…”

Premier Icon PiknMix

Predominantly for environmental reasons, but also animal welfare.

My life is much better without meat in it.

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

I was 15 (1983) and realised I don’t need to kill animals to eat them to be able to live so I stopped doing so. Haven’t eaten meat since then almost 40 years ago.
    Any environmental stuff was a side effect and back in the 80’s wasn’t really part of it. I thought by now that the majority of people would be vegetarian based on the fact eating meat was not necessary (again I was only 15!) but only a small % of people are vegetarian even today and I don’t think the numbers have even gone up much.

Premier Icon simon_g

Met and married a vegetarian!

Since we lived together I didn’t bother buying or cooking meat or fish, I’d just eat it at restaurants or if invited somewhere. Learned lots of good veg home cooking along the way. When we had kids and they were old enough to ask questions it was just easier to never order meat if we were out together, and since I’ve been WFH for years eating out is an occasional thing anyway. Where we live has some excellent veggie restaurants so for meals out with my wife we’re usually trying and sharing veggie stuff.

I’m not a “never eating meat again” person though, if I’m out with mates at an excellent meat restaurant I’m probably having that rather than the token disappointing veggie option.

Premier Icon Olly
    Free Member

Im not a Vegi, but my OH is, so by default i eat meat only occasionally. When we go out, or on the odd occasion.
    I dont miss it, and much as i enjoy the occasional steak, not sure its worth it.
    Vegi bolognaise is missing “something” though.

In a similar tone, my 4 yr old cant eat milk or milk products. OH got us all vegan easter eggs:

https://www.chococo.co.uk/
    I’m not going to look how much they cost, but they are incredible, and highly reccomended.

I think Vegi/Vegan options are coming along in development much like electric cars. Before you know it they will be the norm.

Premier Icon 10

I don’t like meat, so I stopped eating it.

+1

Premier Icon gallowayboy

As has been said above, we don’t need to kill and eat animals. Meat eating is almost like a self justifying cult, and the industry is sickening.
    Augmenting a largely vegetarian diet with a bit of meat or fish, hunted or cared for on a small scale while providing some dairy products seems to me to be acceptable, but big business has run away with the dairy/meat/fishing industry. If I didn’t live with a vegan I’d probably eat a wee bit of sustainably caught fish, but otherwise it’s not for me.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

I knew all the environmental and ethical arguments, I grew up on and arround farms so dinner frequently had a name and I had no particular issue catching and killing food.

But got gradually more and more uneasy about it. But was sticking with the line that protein was needed for athletic people and it was McDonald’s meat that was the problem.

Then watched that gamechangers documentary. Now clearly the protagonists are probably necking (pea) protein shakes to supplement their diet, just like thier omnivorous compettiors. But the quote “if you want to be strong like an ox, eat like one” stuck with me as one of those refutable points, but with a kernel of truth in there.

Premier Icon poah
    Free Member

the thought popped into my head that I was basically eating the equivalent of my boy sat in front of me

you’re anthropomorphising

“if you want to be strong like an ox, eat like one”

if you had a digestive system and the genes of an ox I’d agree. We are not oxen.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

if you had a digestive system and the genes of an ox I’d agree. We are not oxen.

Indeed, that’s why I eat more than grass.

But all that protein you eat (and a lot more that was metabolised allong the way) was once in vegetables. Meat is just a really inefficient way of getting it.

I agree with the analogy of meat eating being like a cult. Just try and leave it and you realise why!

Premier Icon vdubber67
    Free Member

Listening to too much Propagandhi turned me vegan 🙂

Premier Icon kilo

Went to a health farm in Spain a few / three years ago, was just accompanying Mrs Kilo who was staying for ten days. I had no interest in healthy living or not eating meat and the principle source of pleasure was finding they served beer. I was a proper carnivore beforehand. I only stayed for four days and no meat was served there, for some reason I have not eaten meat since and don’t miss it.

Premier Icon xora

Realising that most meat was just poor quality shitty tasting cruely produce protein. Which I could get in vegatable form and cover in the same sauces to flavour it!

Premier Icon joepud

In 1989 we thought we’d try being vegetarian for a month, just out of curiosity. At the end of the month we simply couldn’t see a good reason to do back to eating dead animals. So we didn’t.

basically the same but around 2018. girlfriend went veggie for a month and its just stuck. I still eat meat a couple of times a month but feel crazy sluggish after it. Makes me wonder how hard your body has to work to digest some pork with a roast.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

I think Vegi/Vegan options are coming along in development much like electric cars

Interesting. As I’ve definitely gone from eating more healthy home-prepped/home-cooked plant-based foods to more recently opting for ‘developed’ plant-based options. ie ‘vegan’ ready meals, burgers, pizzas, sausages etc.

It’s ironically reminding me of how bad my diet was when I was eating more meat. Although I’m delighted to have more instant vegan ‘fast-food’ options and even some dairy free chocolate and crisps options…none of them are doing me much good!

What tipped me? Originally personal ethics first and health choices second, circa late 90s. But I’ve fallen on and off the wagon since and I’m not fully there yet even though I desire it. This last annus horriblest has scuttled me into a wagon-leaping emotional-eating human wreckage who did/does greedily still slam factory-farmed flesh, taters and bread in his weak fat face. Reading this thread has helped me re-focus.

Premier Icon grim168

Watched seaspiracy on Netflix at the weekend. I’m looking at going veggie through watching that. Really made me question what I eat. Gonna start with the Jamie Oliver book

Premier Icon DavidB

As a student into the whole Anarcho Punk scene – Crass/Conflict/Subhumans, Meat is Murder etc. (still am musically!) so went veggie – not had or missed meat or fish for nearly 40 years.

This was me for ten years but I lapsed when kids were born. Still feel guilty playing Meat Means Murder. I need to pack it in again

Premier Icon Mister-P
    Free Member

But have you drunk beer since that trip @kilo?

Premier Icon finephilly
    Free Member

Saw a few Youtube athletes and friends who dispel the myth that vegetarians are weak and inferior. They run/cycle/climb on a plant diet, so why couldn’t I? Ate my last bacon butty and tried it for 2 weeks, that was about 4 years ago. I don’t really miss it and pay much more attention to what I eat because it requires more planning. It’s not a panacea, though. You can still be vegetarian and eat a bad diet.

Premier Icon Cougar

Premier Icon kimura54321
    Free Member

I was veggie as a kid when my mum was massively worried about mad cow disease, stuck through to me being a rebellious teenager and deciding to eat meat again in terms of boundary pushing.

Ate meat intermittently but really ramped it up when getting buff for my wedding six ish years back (not in the same shape now! 😅).

A few things pushed it over for me, the first being moving to Barking and 1 in 2 packets of supermarket chicken being rank/bogging as soon as you opened them. The final bit was getting food poisoning from bad chicken and then a month later my wife asking me to stop as I wasn’t a cruel person.

That was a couple of years back, still mostly veggie but do eat some fish. Feel better for it really, both in terms of health and from an animal welfare perspective.

Premier Icon tabletop2
    Free Member

What I think is really important is not worrying about the absolutes. I’m talking more about the envirionmental side but 20 people eating half the amount of meat than previous is better than one absolutely devout vegetarian.

You aren’t a failure if you don’t cut out meat completely. but if everyone reduced their consumption a small amount it would be a massive difference

Premier Icon kilo

But have you drunk beer since that trip @kilo?

Life without beer? Uurrgh!

Premier Icon convert

I don’t think I couldn’t raise animals to eat them, I’d definitely get too attached and sympathetic to them 🙂

That was very much the point – to see if he felt the same about eating a plate of meat when he was first introduced to it as a sentient being rather than a clingfilm wrapped lump in a fridge in Tesco. I think he probably knew how he felt about it but wanted to do the deed to confirm it for himself.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 150 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.