Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • What time can builders start on a Sunday?
  • MartynS

Ernie,
    stop being a prat.

OP. I’d be round this week to see if they are working the weekend again and if they are, suggesting that 7.30 on a Sunday is right out of order

Be brave and go talk to them

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

footflaps

There’s no need to be abusive Yunki. This is the internet, not everyone will agree with everything you say.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If your bro in law is in construction then he needs to learn how to organise his life in such a way so that he doesn’t need to work on sundays. That’s what construction companies throughout the UK manage to do. I see no reason why people should have their sundays spoilt/ruined due to his incompetence or greedy/selfish desire for more money.

Right there guv, I know it’s p*ssing it down sideways but well have them windows out anyway sorry about the garden has it been raining or something……

yunki
    Free Member

there’s every need footflaps..

I post here daily exercising reserve and listening to every side.. but in this situation it’s completely appropriate..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

don’t you start as well sunshine.. what is this..? pick on yunki morning..?

😆

Come on then, you big pussy! 😉

have you never laid a floor on a Sunday Darcy..? Wielded a sander in gods name..?

Honestly, and not just for argument’s sake, nope…and if I work a Saturday (which is rare), I always ask the neighbours if they’d mind. Mind you, I don’t get “rained off” either.

davidjones15
    Free Member

In fairness they only work weekends next door (though the fact I leave for work about 6:30, and am not normally home until 7 means I wouldn’t know if they did anyway) which is kind of irrelevant!

I used to have a neighbour who woke me up every working day at 6.30am as he left for work too. I started work at 9am and got up at 8am. Inconsiderate so and so he was. 🙁

stew1982
    Free Member

davidjones15 – that would annoy the hell out of me, which is why i am actually pretty quiet getting up and going off to work – I like to be considerate. Plus my wife is a teacher and wouldn’t be very happy if I woke her up in the Holidays (all 13 weeks!)

I won’t even Mow the Grass on a Sunday before about 10:30 as I don’t consider it fair even if I am up and want to get started

Dancake
    Free Member

I am in the “Sundays are no different from any other day ” camp. Does it happen every weekend anyway? If it is just one day then you may need to chill out a bit.

chiefgrooveguru

To those who believe Sundays are no different to every other day, have you not noticed the massive difference in road traffic on a Sunday morning, or are your blinkers too tightly affixed?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

To those who believe Sundays are no different to every other day, have you not noticed the massive difference in road traffic on a Sunday morning, or are your blinkers too tightly affixed?

Still leaves no reason why people can’t go about their business.

grum
    Free Member

No reason why they couldn’t just be slightly considerate and go about their business an hour later either. It’s just common politeness, something many on here would seem to be lacking.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Local authority guidelines don’t permit construction work on a Sunday or on Saturdays beyond 1pm. I reported a neighbours builder for using a petrol driven tile cutter 7:30 in the morning so they had a visit from the council.
    I only did it because I wanted to nip it in the bud as another neighbour thought it was ok to sand the floor above with a big power sander at 10.30 at night. (that was just part of an ongoing 5 years of work)

If the builder had just been doing a bit of pointing and started at 9 I wouldn’t have bothered but couldn’t see a reason why I should put up with it.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Even if it’s against the law and affects others. What if your business is playing the saxophone? And you want to practice at 6in the morning or 11 at night?

trail_rat
    Free Member

what if it is DIY ….. is that different…..

no power tools on a sunday is a right laugh – no cars then and certainly no motorbikes …..

My neighbours straight 6 jag often wakes me up on a sunday morning – should i tell him hes not allowed to drive it till after ive got up …..

Sundays just another day – if you choose to spend it in bed then live with the consequences – some of us need to do DIY – your choices are either late at night or during the day on sunday. how ever 7.30 is taking the piss and i do wait till after 9 (or i see the neighbours are up and about which they often are)

footflaps

It’s just common politeness, something many on here would seem to be lacking.

+1

It still amazes me that people haven’t realised that not everyone on the internet will agree 100% with everything they say and then throw all their toys out of the pram when someone disagrees with them.

MrSmith
    Free Member

My neighbours straight 6 jag often wakes me up on a sunday morning – should i tell him hes not allowed to drive it till after ive got up …..

Now your just being silly. What would also be silly would be to start it up and redline it for 3 min at 5 min intervals for an hour which is what the builders were doing, starting up and driving away is hardly the same kind of noise nuisance and isn’t against local authority rules (unless it has an illegal exhaust)

Markie
    Free Member

In South Oxfordshire, noisy construction activities should also be carried out during sociable hours (i.e. 07:30-18:00 Monday-Friday and 08:00-13:00 Saturdays with no noisy works on Sundays and Bank Holidays). 

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

MartynS – Member

Ernie,
    stop being a prat.

I’m a prat because I don’t approve of selfish inconsiderate chancers who are incapable of carrying out their construction work within the legally permitted hours like everyone else in the country ?

Well I’m very happy to be a prat then 8)

BTW I’m such a prat that unbelievably, I also expect them to comply with site safety regs………yes, I’m that much of a prat !

trail_rat
    Free Member

markie – sounds like another good reason not to live in englandshire

do as to others as you wish to be done to your self ….

my neighbours can make as much noise as they like during day light hours – long as they dont complain about me doing the same…..

what about if im cutting up firewood with a chain saw ? thats redlining for 3mins every 5 😉

cutting the hedge , strimming the verge at the end of the road to benifit everyone living on the road.

Blanket rules like that of south oxfordshire are retarded and for people that cannot apply common sense.

oh and about his jag – i actually like being woken up by the sound of his straight 6 taking off down the road – i used to live on the local equivalent of daytona 500 raceway on a sunday morning a single jag is fine

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Blanket rules like that of south oxfordshire are retarded and for people that cannot apply common sense.

Indeed they are. Leave it to retards and people that cannot apply commonsense, and they will carry out construction work at 7.30am on Sunday mornings, as in the OP’s case. So legislation is vital for the retards and people who cannot apply commonsense.

BTW you do know that commercial construction work and DIY isn’t the same thing don’t you ? Of course you do. I just wondered why you commented on hedge trimming, verge strimming, and other garden work which is all unrelated to construction work ? 😕

trail_rat
    Free Member

noise is noise regardless is my point.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

noise is noise regardless

Erm no, they don’t apply “blanket rules like that”, as you put it. Construction work is banned on Sundays but using a hedge trimmer or strimmer is perfectly legal – construction and gardening are not the same thing. It’s this thing called commonsense, which you were speaking of.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Erm no, they don’t apply “blanket rules like that”, as you put it. Construction work is banned on Sundays but using a hedge trimmer or strimmer is perfectly legal – construction and gardening are not the same thing. It’s this thing called commonsense, which you were speaking of.

But could produce the same amount of noise?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

But could produce the same amount of noise?

So this is where “commonsense” comes in. It is perfectly feasible to stop construction work on Sundays, specially as construction work is allowed on five and half other days in the week, however it is not quite so feasible to demand no gardening on Sundays.

Northwind

Not sure where legality comes into it tbh, it’s rude and thoughtless to make a racket at that time in the morning, any day of the week. I don’t play thrash metal at 7.30am, even if I’ve really urgently got to get through the Testament back catalogue before monday.

Have a polite word.

falkirk-mark
    trail_rat
    Free Member

so by your own admission ernie its stupid…

Your not allowed to build a shed but you can cut grass – hell i could even build a car chassis out of sheet steel with a grinder and welder on my drive on a sunday but my dad (a self employed builder) couldnt build a shed out of sheet steel with the self same welder and grinder for my neighbour for money.

anti social hours i agree with – blanket sunday ban , retarded

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

i could even build a car chassis out of sheet steel with a grinder and welder on my drive on a sunday

Do you do that regularly on a Sunday? On your drive?

You sound like the type of person who uses the word “retarded” a lot.

trail_rat
    Free Member

deadly – i kinda do it half in half out of the garage 😉

the builder doesnt build sheds in my neighbours garden every sunday though.

current company necessitates it im afraid. Im sorry i didnt bring my profanisaurus to nigeria with me.

nealglover
    Free Member

BTW you do know that commercial construction work and DIY isn’t the same thing don’t you ?

You are quite right, all my tools have a different setting that makes them quieter if I’m not being paid for the work. 😐

br
    Free Member

In fairness they only work weekends next door (though the fact I leave for work about 6:30, and am not normally home until 7 means I wouldn’t know if they did anyway) which is kind of irrelevant!

My neighbours complained about me leaving for work at 6:30am, suggesting that it’d be better if I pushed my motorbike (standard exhausts etc) up the street before starting it… Discussions were solved when a new neighbour arrived, who started about 10 mins earlier than me and had the worlds’ noisiest Vectra diesel 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

all my tools have a different setting that makes them quieter if I’m not being paid for the work.

That’s absolutely hilarious. However the law has no problem at all in distinguishing between DIY activity and commercial construction work, consequentially construction sites don’t operate on sundays, in the SE of England at least. No one appears to be confused by the “subtle” differences and complying with legal requirements is extraordinarily easy.

stumpyjon

Despite the rules it’ wouldn’t kill your neighbours builder to start Sunday morning with some quiet building jobs, putting the kettle for example or reading the paper 🙂

More seriously a bit of basic consideration wouldn’t go amiss, if he does have to work Sunday then not upsetting everyone would seem like a plan. I agree that Sunday isn’t special but it is a day most people would like a quiet extra hour in bed.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘What time can builders start on a Sunday?’ is closed to new replies.