Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What threadlock do you use?
  • PrinceJohn

And where do you get it from?

A really boring question I know – but I’m out & haven’t bought any for years.

orangespyderman

I use loctite “lipstick” 248 – handy to keep in the tool box and useful format in a stick rather than liquid. I do have some 243 too but if I was to only have one it’d be the 248

jimdubleyou

The blue one.

I think I bought it from Amazon.

Kahurangi

General purpose medium strength liquid (blue) = 243

I preferred the bottle of 243 over the stick of 248

tthew

Blue Loctite. I bought a little tube from the local hardware store that lasted a few years. My daughter needs to provide me with a grandchild that’s interested in bikes or cars, or the 200ml bottle I acquired from work will never get finished!!

benp1

Does this stuff go off like other superglue? I was thinking that the amount I need but more importantly the numbers of times I would use it in a set period is relatively minimal

orangespyderman

Does this stuff go off like other superglue?

No – or at least not noticeably, in my experience.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Superglue cures in contact with water so will go off in the bottle due to atmospheric moisture.

Threadlock cures in the absence of oxygen, so no it doesn’t go off like superglue, but I think they have a 5 year use by date. I’ve gone back to old bottles and the contents has gone clear and no longer sets but that was a bottle of bearing fit about 8 years past it’s use-by.

The advantage I find of the lipstick is if you keep it in a bag of heavy tools it doesn’t eventually get burst! Disadvantage is it doesn’t last as long, but probably still longer than the use by date if just used at home.

sirromj

What’s the stuff you find preinstalled on caliper bolts etc is it readily available?

andy4d

I picked up a bottle of blue 243 for about €7 from bike-discount when i was ordering other bits a few months ago.

Davesport

Aye, as above . Loctite 243. Medium strength.

Don’t be tempted to use the higher strength stuff on anything considered less than permanent. It is very powerful & can require considerable heat to break the bond it creates. I’ve made this mistake :o(

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

^^^^^^^ If you use red in the wrong places, you will need a blow torch to remove the bolt, which you will most likely have sheared the head off (if it’s a weak alloy) trying to remove without heat!

So yeah blue pretty much exclusively on bikes!

drewd

The blue one in a bottle. I think mine is made by Granville, I got it from Amazon and it’s been good for pedal pins and caliper bolts.

Murray

Loctite 222 – bike bits are small and screw into soft alloy, no need for anything stronger.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What threadlock do you use?’ is closed to new replies.