Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • What thicker grips?
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

So time to ditch my standard Bonty grips for something new and its a good time to change as trying out a new bar. I am after something a bit thicker than the Bonty ones.

I know its a very personal think but the choice seems endless!

In my basket I currently have ODI Rougues.

Decent choics for a thicker grip? Guess like anything its trial and error!

rascal
    Free Member

These…
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/easton-lock-on-grips/rp-prod114386

Come in 2 widths – got some lovely orange ones – great quality and very grippy…as grips should be 😉

the_chosen_llama
    Free Member

Ive got the dmr brendog grips. Cross between ruffian and longnecks. Price is decent and nice and comfy.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have used the Rogues in the past. They are pretty chunky and nice even grip pattern. The Yeti’s may be worth a look which has a slightly more broken out grip pattern.
    A friend of mine who is big lad, nickname Mungo uses the Superstar Excell grips which are not only fat but 150mm long for large hands.

the00
    Free Member

Oury Mountain grips?

ajantom

DMR Deathgrips are excellent. Got them on 3 bikes in the thicker, softer version. My favourite grip since Sunline Mushrooms.

rossburton
    Free Member

The thick Easton ones above are pretty good, especially for a tenner. Got a pair for my new hardtail and might get another pair for the susser.

PJay
    Free Member

Lizard Skins Northshores work for me.

stevied
    Free Member

Just got a set of these: ODI
    They have an oval feel to them with extra thickness/padding. Seem very comfortable and a nicer profile than the ODI TLD and RF Half Nelsons I’ve had previously.

jayx2a
    Free Member

DMR Deathgrips are excellent. Got them on 3 bikes in the thicker, softer version. My favourite grip since Sunline Mushrooms.

I like them, even if its just for the name!

bigblackshed

Ourys are about the thickest grips you will find. Available as lock-on as well. I just measured a pair, 32.3mm diameter compared to 28.7mm ODI Vans grips. I might be changing back to Ourys after breaking my wrist and finger.

I’ve got a pair of Oury Mountain Grips in “goping gold” if you want to try some?

Let me know and pop them in the post.

davosaurusrex

Chromag Squarewave XL. Hard to find but superbly comfy with the raised palm section.

cokie

I’ve got a set of the thick Eastons. They really are quite fat! Very grippy and comfortable. The end caps are a nice touch too.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Going to try some DMR death grips.

Now just the colour… go simple black (bit boring), try the blue (as I ‘think’ it might match the blue bits on my bike) or that yellow/greem camo colour which looks kinda cool.

snooze
    Free Member

+1 for the wider Easton grips.
    Also didn’t find The Race Face Half Nelsons thick enough.
    Had good experience/comfort with both Ergon GE1 and GD1.

Gotama
    Free Member

Being someone with pretty sizeable paws I used to hunt out the biggest grips I could, including ESI extra chunky. Change of direction to the Ergon GE1 in the thicker option they do and they’re spot on. No clamp on the outside as well which, as someone who rides towards the end of the bars, I prefer.

exupmonkey
    Free Member

Another vote for the Easton wide grips here. First ride out with them this afternoon and I like ’em! £10….must be worth a punt.

DezB
    Free Member

If you really want to research, go here. Not being funny! Might help, as this subject comes up a lot… 🙂

jayx2a
    Free Member

GE1 looks interesting, will have a look in to them more.

longmover
    Free Member

Death Grips in camo here, fell good and look awesome.

PJM1974
    Free Member

ODI Vans for the win. I have shovel hands and these are an excellent fit.

mahalo

also a big fan of the deathgrips, also a fat handed ****.

they are not so robust tho, i have a pair on two bikes and the ends of all four are flapping off from scrapes with trees, van roof, floor etc…

patriotpro
    Free Member

SC Palmdale: £15, chunky but squishy, loads of colours and adds about 15mm to overall bar width.

prezet
    Free Member

Just bought some GE1’s – first ride and I’m undecided. I have some Death Grips to try too, so they might go on soon if I don’t get on with the Ergons.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Deathgrips are my new faves.

I usually go for thicker grips, but the “thin” ones are spot on for me – and still quite thick. I’ve got soft and hard versions and can’t tell the difference in feel, so I’d go for the harder compound for longevity.

The thick ones were too much for me.

jsm

the thickest esi grips?

leegee

I couldn’t stand Deathgrips. Went back to Race face Strafe or Good n evil after 3 rides.

Shackleton

Chromag Squarewave XL. Hard to find but superbly comfy with the raised palm section.

I have bear paws / shovels for hands and use squarewaves after years using rogues and really like them (thicker and longer, mmmmm). Caveat is that the raised shape places your hands centrally on the grip so I went from a 785mm bar to 800 to maintain hand position. Not an issue if you didn’t previously have your hands right at the end of the bars.

I tried some GE1s as well, felt like gripping an unpadded pencil. Nice shape but too thin resulting in death grip to hold on in rough sections! Would happily use them if they did a fatter version.

Gotama
    Free Member

Just bought some GE1’s – first ride and I’m undecided. I have some Death Grips to try too, so they might go on soon if I don’t get on with the Ergons.

Give them a bit of time. I almost took them off again after the first ride. Half a dozen or so in and they felt better. Not sure if its adapting to the slightly different shape. Helps playing around with the orientation too.

fathomer

Another for Deathgrips. They’re just really comfy, I definitely have the thick ones but not sure if they’re the soft or hard ones?

Added bonus is they’re pretty reasonably priced.

pitduck
    Free Member

oury bestist ever

spanishfly
    Free Member

Deathgrips

jayx2a
    Free Member

ODI make Race Face grips, think the strafe is same as the rogues.

Death grips or GE1s or Strafe are my 3 options!!!

Oblongbob

Another vote for the ourys here. Very thick, grippy and comfy for my biggish hands.

oink1
    Free Member

Ergon GE1 – take a hex key so you can fine tune the position while you’re out 🙂

a11y

ESI extra chunky on one bike, Specialized Sip XLs on the other 2. Both great but the Spesh grippier overall unsurprisingly.

tymbian
    Free Member

Another Oury fan here and at 5.99
    Whats not to like.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Tried some Ergon GE1’s this weekend…. didnt really like them so going to try death grips instead!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘What thicker grips?’ is closed to new replies.