Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What the hell is wrong with this fork?? [pic]
  • canrobert
    Free Member

I haven’t had my Marzocchi bomber Z3s serviced for a while. Recently spotted this and very worried. Anyone seen anything like this before? I’m going to sell the bike but assuming this probably renders it unsafe, so need to get it fixed first.

leffeboy

Looks like the fork brace is popping off because you removed the v brake bolts. Tap it back down and stick the bolts on again

ton

you took the brake bosses out.
    they hold the forks together.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Marzocchi do a specific bolt to fit there if you remove the brake bosses.

julianwilson
    Free Member

as above, and yes like that its unsafe. Ever seen martyn ashton do a trials show where his front wheel falls off and he does the drop on the back wheel anyway?

canrobert
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Oddly, I’ve riden this quite a bit without the brake bosses in there. I didn’t realise they were supposed to be there as this is how the bike shop returned it to me when I had disc brakes fitted.

Anyone got a link to where I can buy the bosses? I’ve had a look on wiggle and CRC to no avail, but might be searching the wrong thing…

Best,

C

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Any decent bolt the right size and thead should hold it together I reckon. 🙂

julianwilson
    Free Member

Hmmm, your post would suggest that it the bike shop that removed the brake posts when they fitted your disc brake. I would start by riding (very gently!) back to the bike shop, showing them what has happened to your fork and asking them to sort it out. I can’t believe a bike shop would do something that daft. 👿

Dibbs
    Free Member

I can’t remember who the Marzocchi importers are but you LBS may be able to order the correct part from them (that said, the fact that they left the studs out in the first place wouldn’t fill me with a lot of confidence). 🙄

Dibbs
    Free Member

“Any decent bolt the right size and thead should hold it together I reckon.”

I fitted the genuine Marzocchi bolts to my son’s forks when I took the brake bosses off, and as far as I can remember it wasn’t just a plain bolt, it was a shoulder’d bolt and it appeared to be high tensile steel.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

You can get the bosses on CRC but they’re flipping expensive for what they are.

canrobert
    Free Member

@julianwilson – hah, yeah that would probably be a good start! Unfortunately there was a long gap between brake fitting and renewed riding – 3 years at uni to be precise, with very little riding in between, so they’d probably not believe me.

@everyone thank you all for the help and advice. I reckon I can get this sorted now, wether by finding the right (read overpriced) marzocchi widget or finding standard tensile steel bolts.

Best,

C

P.S. I may well list the bike for sale in the forum when the fork issue is resolved (now live in London and can’t use it much).

It’s built around a really neat revell bikes jump frame with middleburn cranks, hope mono 2 discs, orange CNC machined stem and orange bars, all matching up in flame red like the forks. Jumps like a dream.

mamadirt
    Free Member

There you go. Worth giving UKBike Store a call before ordering though to make sure that they are the right ones for your fork model.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

Seems like the ignorance of some mechanic could’ve caused you a serious injury!

The exact same scenario befell a friend of mine.. except his fork legs fell off the day after the “service”

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What the hell is wrong with this fork?? [pic]’ is closed to new replies.