Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • What the hell does "poking the sponge" mean?
  • Poopscoop

Just read it in a closed thread so never had the chance to ask.

Did the grown up thing and picture searched Google (Don’t ever do that for docking…) but no dice.

What have I missed? ❓

Gary_M
    Free Member

but no dice.

Unsurprising really, try googling ‘poking the dice’ instead.

chip
    Free Member

Funsponge is dracs alter ego, perhaps couger is just the sponge for obvious reasons

perchypanther
    Free Member

i think i’ve said enough on the matter today…

teasel
    Free Member

Only white sash in Google Fu but perhaps this…

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’m disappointed by the google image search for docking, just lots and lots of computer peripherals and two lambs.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s become one of those STW in-jokes like baby robins and badger’s tyres.
    That’s a delightful series of diagrams teasel. Good job they’re one image and not separated into 3.

plyphon
    Free Member

I don’t know but if you could go away and poke the sponge over this one then come back to me when you’ve actioned that? Then we’ll reach out and ideate over the insights and hopefully generate some thought leadership around it.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

It’s what Spongebob gets up to during the evening. 😯
    Apparently he’s a taker, not a giver….

fasthaggis

perchypanther
    Free Member

Poopscoop

Goddamnit I need an answer!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Goddamnit I need an answer!

Oh….Alright… Since I sent you down this rabbit hole in the first place, it falls to me to explain it, I suppose.

You know Drac?

The Mod.

Famed for his cheery disposition and playful sense of humour?

He has been referred to on the forum on many occasions as being a “Fun Sponge”.

A couple of days back someone was having a bit of a pop at Drac on this thread….

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/people-eating-breakfast-in-shared-offices/page/3

bigyinn of this parish interjected with the humourous one liner “Do not poke the sponge” and a new phrase for mildly antagonising one of our beloved mods was born.

I used it in context today as I was light heartedly poking fun at one of our other hard working, volunteer, mods who normally do an excellent and even handed job but who was, let’s face it, being just a tiny bit fun-spongey today.

Cougar

I’ll hold my hand up here, I made a mistake.

I should’ve closed all the threads anonymously and let you assume Drac had done it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

But Drac never calls me a shithead.

That’s half the fun. 🙂

Poopscoop

Ok, got it! Lol

Trouble is on here I don’t know if I’m missing out on a whole phenomenon or an in joke.

Fortunately I have virtually no dignity and don’t mind asking! 😀

fasthaggis

I should’ve closed all the threads anonymously and let you assume Drac had done it

Do you think it would have made people think twice about what they were thinking about posting? 😛

Poopscoop

Cougar – Moderator
    I’ll hold my hand up here, I made a mistake.

I should’ve closed all the threads anonymously and let you assume Drac had done it.

That would have been an act of evil genius. 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

Ok, this is getting silly now.

It was this. This is what forced me to poke the sponge on this one.

Getting silly is my raison d’etre 😉

I won’t be denied.

maccruiskeen

I wish fasthaggis had put some trousers on before he took that picture of himself standing on a shag pile rug. At least he kept his legs crossed.

funkmasterp

I’d have opted for scotroutes the secret mod 😉

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I work with a “fun-sponge” (obvs not THE fun sponge)
    Also referred to as The Moral Vampire, Oxygen Thief, Thrush…

Poopscoop

muppetWrangler – Member
    I’m disappointed by the google image search for docking, just lots and lots of computer peripherals and two lambs.

Count yourself lucky. I thought I was a man of the world until I saw one very particular definition of the word on the net. Definitely not work safe I should add!

plyphon
    Free Member

I’m going to try and fit ‘poke the sponge’ into a meeting this week

Poopscoop

plyphon – Member
    I’m going to try and fit ‘poke the sponge’ into a meeting this week

Hell yes, report back!

Cougar

It was this. This is what forced me to poke the sponge on this one.

😆

Getting out of hand, I should’ve said. One or two threads is fine, but it was clogging up half of the forum.

Thrush…

Admit it, you only posted that in the hope that someone would ask, didn’t you?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

😆
    He is an irritating c u next tuesday
    Sorry…

angeldust
    Free Member

A couple of days back someone was having a bit of a pop at Drac on this thread….

I wasn’t really having a pop (not in a nasty sense anyway), though I wouldn’t be surprised if sponge-Drac-mardy-pants may have construed it that way :-). However I did think an irony check was in order for someone who was complaining about being too busy to leave their desk for breakfast, who also finds the time to monitor the nonsense on here all day.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Maybe the breakfast is a long way away.Had you thought about that?

It’s probably in a drawer, with c#00g5 Xeons 😛

Cougar

Drac doesn’t work regular office hours, I believe.

Northwind

Quite disappointed it’s not something urethra based tbh. Never mind, there’s always next time

garage-dweller

playful sense of humour

Sorry who?

I’m never sure if I just don’t “get” Drac and he’s funnier than I think or whether on the rare occasions we do interact on here I’m just really ******* him off. Maybe both on reflection…

Poking the sponge is however a great phrase.

Drac

Paging posts are against the rules.

on the rare occasions we do interact on here I’m just really ******* him off.

Can’t say I even recall any conversation with you.

What’s to say I didn’t close the thread?

teasel
    Free Member

Good job they’re one image and not separated into 3.

Heh

Yeah, that’d be a ban or a snotty email.

As for Drac – he’s a vindictive git and can’t separate his emotions from his modding decisions. He tries too hard to be funny and get in with who he sees as the popular crowd and won’t really rock the boat when it comes to them and generally plays to what he perceives as an audience (as do a lot of folk on here). He’ll happily pick on those considered by others to be fair game – y’know the users – and, most importantly, he’s a **** hypocrite.

How’s that for poking the sponge…

I doubt this’ll stand cos it’s negative use of the forum or whatever he informs me of in those pissy emails.

Drac

A mile wide of the mark there teasel.

teasel
    Free Member

Of course you’d claim that.

🙄

Drac

Well the fact you’re talking about me gives me a pretty good insight into it.

teasel
    Free Member

I’ve actually ‘said’ nothing but… I don’t have a clue what your last post means regardless of that cock up.

Edit : Ah, you’ve edited and it makes a bit more sense. You know why I have a problem with you – you have a problem with me and deleted various posts while at the same time using the forum in a negative fashion yourself.

That makes you a hypocrite.

garage-dweller

Can’t say I even recall any conversation with you.

Not only does it seem that I am over sensitive it seems I’m instantly forgettable too! 😥

It was I think a couple of car related threads a while back that I was thinking of.

No offence intended btw more a comment on me than you I think.

Drac

I have honestly have no idea, teasel might know.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘What the hell does "poking the sponge" mean?’ is closed to new replies.