Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • What the hell are they putting in the tap water at Thetford?
  • timmys

I’ve plenty of sympathy with the trail builders at Thetford, given what they have to work with gradient wise, but I just saw the following picture posted on Twitter and was somewhat astounded.

My only explanation is the FC have drugged them and managed to convince them to build them some new roads:

Exhibit A;

A green “Mountain bike trail” being built

Exhibit B;
    Some new “Red” Trail

Tsk, trail centres, eh ?

Meanwhile, a few miles away this bridleway looks a nice route.

tails
    Free Member

Go volunteer your services timmys, the chap in the photo might not be a cyclist and thinks he’s making a good trail. Perhaps they want a family friendly centre.

timmys

Go volunteer your services timmys, the chap in the photo might not be a cyclist and thinks he’s making a good trail. Perhaps they want a family friendly centre.

The pictures are shamelessly stolen from the volunteer trail builders own website. The first one is from a trail building day. Granted the second pic is the work of some contractors.

I live far too far away to volunteer, but I do go there occasionally as it’s near family (which is why I keep a vague eye on developments there). If I did live nearer I’m not sure I could convince myself it was worthwhile getting involved given the cosh the FC seem to have them under.

Meanwhile, a few miles away this bridleway looks a nice route.

If you say so. Looks dead boring to me.

If it’s boring, you’re not riding fast enough. 😉

bonchance
    Free Member

Looking forward to 20foot breeze block rubble pies on my local trails.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If it’s boring, you’re not riding fast enough.

Nope it’s still dull

johnnystorm

Playing Devils advocate here…….

Some of the Blue & Green routes are pretty difficult to ride, mainly due to deep sand! Therefore a sturdier track will be good for the intended user.

The “Red” section above is I think a section that didn’t drain well and was often like the somme.

pmc00per
    Free Member

This makes me so angry. The guys at timber are working really hard, giving up days of their life to build trails at thetford. They have to build the green family routes, so the fc will let them do the more exciting stuff.

The red route was built by contractors and was deliberately wide. Have you ridden it recently? A natural line has formed and its back to singletrack.

I don’t have time to go to the build days but I pay my money to support their work. Put your money where your mouth is and help the people make it better. Why not turn up to a meeting and work with them to make things better.

Moe

I’ve not really got time to go into the details right now but there are a variety of reasons why these two sections in particular are the way they are and to jump in and ridicule what others are doing (especially volunterers) is pretty much par for the course with some! If you’re going to be critical please at least research the full facts.

If any one would like to discuss the matters or are interested in becoming involved with TIMBER, pleasecheck out our website (www.timbermtb.org) or even drop me a pm with contact number and I’d be very happy to chat!

scottfitz
    Free Member

This makes me so angry. The guys at timber are working really hard, giving up days of their life to build trails at thetford. They have to build the green family routes, so the fc will let them do the more exciting stuff.

The red route was built by contractors and was deliberately wide. Have you ridden it recently? A natural line has formed and it’s back to singletrack.

I don’t have time to go to the build days but I pay my money to support their work. Put your money where your mouth is and help the people make it better. Why not turn up to a meeting and work with them to make things better.
    +1 they give up a lot of there free time, its not easy work.
    They is always a bigger picture and there are always reasons for project, Keep mtber’s happy, keep land owner happy, keep public happy.

I’m sure the guys at timbers/thetford would be happy to have a chat about projects if you bump in to them on the trails.
    Or
    At least a “thanks for all the hard work guys” as you ride past.

muddyground
    Free Member

Was there the other weekend, and saw these trails. From the perspective of an MTB’er I see the OP’s original point, but at the time I was with my family. My wife can’t undertand why I go mountain biking, but could see the point of a happy spin in the forest without getting muddy or trashing a bike in the process. My kids just went mental, as they do. The place on a Sunday was heaving. It’s not rad for sure, but by heck it’s a popular place and appears to meet the design criteria of introducing people to the great outdoors. Sure you could make all the trails devious Singletrack, but then you’d alienate 90% of the people that visit. Personally, as it was I thought it a brilliant place – and have you been into Bike Art? Now that is a bike shop. And for me, such a brilliant shop suggests that whoever commissioned and designed the centre itself knows what they are doing. It’s not gnarl, but for most people it is an excellent place. In any case, as an MTB’er better trails are just a quick spin away so stop fretting.

timmys

Apologies, I meant to post something a bit cheeky rather than offensive to the trail builders. A slight case of late night drunk posting I’m afraid. My issues are totally with the FC and what they seem to allow the volunteers to do/not do.

What I find interesting about Thetford is how the FC there seem to be so active at removing/red-lighting technical additions. I don’t understand why, for instance, the little bits and bobs that are constantly added at Cannock are fine by the FC there but totally forbidden at Thetford. If you look at the chase trails blog, the work is a mirror image of Thetford, the type of thing they build seems to be exactly what gets removed at Thetford.

Regarding family trails, I wish someone at Thetford FC could be sent to check out the Blue trails at Brechfa, Forest of Dean, Coed Y Brenin and Glentress etc., so that they can see that inclusive trails can be fun and interesting.

timmys

…and have you been into Bike Art? Now that is a bike shop. And for me, such a brilliant shop suggests that whoever commissioned and designed the centre itself knows what they are doing.

Has it changed hands?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bike-art-at-thetford-why-so-miserable

muddyground
    Free Member

Seemed OK to me, but then we were actually spending money instead of daydreaming. But who goes there to buy a £5k bike? We bought two helmets and the guy serving was nice enough. The cafe was the issue for me…….

Mantastic
    Free Member

“Playing Devils advocate here…….

Some of the Blue & Green routes are pretty difficult to ride, mainly due to deep sand! Therefore a sturdier track will be good for the intended user.

The “Red” section above is I think a section that didn’t drain well and was often like the somme.”

Get a fatbike, problem sorted on both accounts

prezet
    Free Member

They have to build the green family routes, so the fc will let them do the more exciting stuff.

When is the exciting stuff planned?

strike
    Free Member

Things just don’t seem to be progressing at Thetford……

When I was local(ish) I used to ride at Thetford lots, ie most weeks. When I moved further away and started riding other trail centres, I saw how much more they were marching on ie Cannock, Sherwood, and my (now) local trail-centre Fineshade.

I am not having a go at TIMBER at all, just to make this clear. I’m sure they work really hard and there is all sorts of politics behinds the scenes with the FC etc, but I just don’t think Thetford is getting anywhere near it’s full potential. All of which means I rarely bother to make the trip over there anymore, which is a shame.

Then couple this with the misery and outright rudeness of the owner of Bike Art (compared to the enthusiasm and friendliness of Fineshade Cycling, Sherwood Pines cycles and Bike Chase at Cannock), and it just detracts from the whole experience…..

peterh
    Free Member

The bit of track in the first picture is double track width wide enough to be ridden in both directions as a family trail (tag along’s etc). It was badly waterlogged which is why we’re raising the height of the trail a bit. We gave a commitment to the FC to help out on this FAMILY route and it’s through cooperation like this that leads us to get machinery like a Kanga mini skid steerer and a Bomag and money for a pump track (is that interesting enough for you?). If more interest is added to the Green and Blue trails it’ll make it easier to add more technical features to the harder trails.

The second picture is of a contractor section of built trail – that just happens to be as wide as the roller they used. We could easily go in there and make it more interesting if we wanted.

After recent budget cuts the FC are more and more dependent on volunteers so we now get a lot of support from them. The FC aren’t holding us back from adding more interesting stuff. But you have to face facts that Thetford Forest is used by a lot of families so everything needs thought and planning. The lack of gradient and a geology of sand doesn’t help. But we could do what we want – the only thing holding us back is lack of volunteers. Thoughtless posts like this don’t help. For everyone else – your support means a lot.

prezet
    Free Member

Personally I can’t see the point in a pump track in Thetford – there’s at least a couple close by at Bury if that’s your thing. Chicksands has recently built one, and it gets little use from what I’ve seen.

I’d say use the digger/money build up the red or black into something a bit more testing – I can see Timber have had a go at little kickers and the odd berm, but they’re tame to say the least. Although as mentioned Thetford doesn’t really have gradients on it’s side – although they do exist in some parts.

I have complete admiration for the volunteers and they do a great job in making Thetford accessible for everyone. But I just find it a little dull as it seems too focused on the xc whippets and the family days out.

slowjo
    Free Member

So where is the pump track in Bury? You don’t mean the skate park near Asda do you?

scottfitz
    Free Member

pump track in Thetford: is a good idea will be fun for kids and adults 😀

the only thing holding us back is lack of volunteers

Locals why not give up one/two days a year to your local trails, If everyone did there would Be:

red or black into something a bit more testing

exciting stuff

the little bits and bobs that are constantly added

If people want to add testing bits (and your local ish) etc… get involved!

A question for Timbers: Do the FC encourage volunteer trail builders, if so how?
    Our local trails where we build the Country park (not FC) Give us a free years car pass for people that have been on 4 digs and free tea, coffee and biscuits ever dig 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Nope it’s still dull

+1, it’s a dead straight, pan flat fireroad, at 40mph that’d be dull!

scottfitz
    Free Member

WOW

40mph

With a tag along that fast!!! 😯

njee20
    Free Member

Didn’t say I could do that! Just agreeing that MTGs ‘alternative’ trail looked even less interesting than the efforts of those building at Thetford!

peterh
    Free Member

@scottfitz – thanks for the reminder…

Regular volunteers can get and volunteer card giving you a discount at the great new cafe at High Lodge and a Discovery pass worth £50 allowing you to park at High Lodge for free for a year.
    With your TIMBER membership you’ll be able to claim a TIMBER t-shirt at no extra cost when we’ve had them printed.
    You get discounts from our sponsors – which is worth the membership cost in itself.
    Also a free car sticker and that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you’ve put something back into your community.

I should also say that there will be a shed load of Forestry activity over the next few years, so we’re going to need all the help we can get.

strike
    Free Member

Forest activity in the way of more tree felling?

slowjo
    Free Member

That’s the plan….I think.

strike
    Free Member

Oh well, happening in most FC places currently (or scheduled to happen soon!).

BermBandit
    Free Member

PMSL……. @ Singletrack forum user in wrong end of stick, posting about subjects of which they know nowt shocker!! 😯

The Truth

Thetford has different issues to most other forests in the UK, largely because it was one of the earliest to embrace MTB and is therefore out of date, and is flat. Partially for that reason the trails are easily accessible to those who are not competent to use them, therefore there are exceptional problems that have to be considered when the gnarly meter is being set.

FC closures: These are in fact very few and far between. Currently the only one is a drop off into Squirrel Scamper pit, where two people have been severely injured. This will reopen once TIMBER have got round to reworking it to mitigate the risk. (Mitigate means when the legal nonsense starts that there is a reasonable defence. Not wrapping everyone and everything in cottonwool). If you aren’t happy with that write to your MP about changing the legal system. Its nothing to do with TIMBER or the FC, simply a fact of life that we and they have to live with.

FC support for MTB and trail building: Is in fact fulsome, substantial and wholehearted.

The Plan: To renovate and weather proof the existing trail network, before looking to create more ambitious trail features. This is the reason TIMBER was formed, to staunch the mud that was engulfing the forest. Currently the Red route is pretty much sorted, we are on the green and black and blue will follow shortly after that.

Currently the family trail offer is in poor repair which is therefore driving riders onto the more demnanding cross country trails. Therefore, higher priority is being given currently to improving those family trails. The photo shown is a connecting section along a forest ride about to be used for one of those low grade trails. The work being done is to elevate the trail to give it better drainage than the surrounding area, and it is intended as a flat 2 metre wide line for children and families, nothing more nothing less. The contractor built section was to rectify a rooty boggy sludge, and has been done to protect the root system in a very small area.

Current concerns: The High Lodge, BCP and Santon Downham blocks have had little or no thinning and harvesting for 15 years or so. Unfortunately, that is now being rectified with wholesale harvesting works being done currently and for the next 15 months or so. Accordingly, TIMBER have been discussing ways and means to renew, replace and reinvigorate the “wild trail network” which will be severely depleted by this activity. The FC’s suggestion is to consider the controlled reintroduction of Motor Cycle enduros, which is what created the trails in the first instance. We have other ideas to assist in that process. Allied to this there has been active co-operation with Thetford MTB racing/The FC/TIMBER to utilise the thinning and harvesting program to produce better arena opportunties for their events.

Long term plans with broad approval but not necessarily funded or through the planning procedure.

1) A pump track (funded and site identified)
    2) A range of technical trail features to augment the current Black/Red trails
    3) Red and black to be rebadged to red only, (graded as such by dint of distance rather than difficulty) (Funded and in process)
    4) A jump site, (presuming jump orientated folk can be arsed to get involved with it)

Things holding us back

Lack of volunteers, and uninformed criticism leading to demotivation of those we do have.

So don’t whinge, get involved and guide the process its much more fruitful and who knows you might just enjoy it. Regarding distance, if you live close enough to ride there you live close enough to get stuck in. My average journey there is a round trip of 80 miles.

prezet
    Free Member

BB – What are the chances of getting more ‘gnar’ stuff in there?

We’ve got a group of riders who want something a bit more challenging in the local area. Most are situated in Norwich, but I’m sure would be happy to travel to contribute if they knew their digging wasn’t going to get flattened every month.

Most of them used to ride Ringland hills, and had a good collection of more DH orientated runs, along with some fairly huge freeride digging and construction. Since that got flattened a few years ago by the council, most of the riders have been looking for a more permanent spot to dig.

strike
    Free Member

I don’t think anybody is whinging as such, just many, including myself, are/were confused about how things were progressing (or not as it was seemingly the case at times) at Thetford.

Berm Bandit > thanks for spelling out what the forthcoming plans are. I really hope these do come to fruition, and that Thetford does get back to where it was. I appreciate it is often a case of bystanders complaining about lack of action.

I’ve become involved in trail building/maintenance much closer to (new) home now, so won’t be joining you with the work etc, BUT will be supporting you still with my car park fee, when I visit Thetford!

And I think the best piece of news is that the motorbike enduro’s will be coming back, as these always cut-in lots of new sections.

BermBandit
    Free Member

BB – What are the chances of getting more ‘gnar’ stuff in there?

Google Sudbourne Jumps. Same management team as at Thetford. Its been there for donkeys years and is actively supported by the FC. We could have the same at Thetford. However it comes down to doing what the Sudbourne bods did, which is play the game from within. Timber would support you if you wanted to do it.

The only limitation is your imagination and application.

prezet
    Free Member

BB – I know Subourne (snape) area very well… was always a bit of a long drive. Would be great to have something similar at Thetford.

Where do we begin?

scottfitz
    Free Member
    BermBandit
    Free Member

email me at bermbandit AT hotmail.co.uk and I’ll put you in touch with the right people….. might even help out myself.

Moe

As always with this type of venture, it needs folk to throw their hat in the ring and do something. The possibilities are there for the taking, all that’s required is for every rider that uses Thetford to at least show their support for TIMBER by joining but even more beneficial would be for every Thetford user to get involved. Be assured the FC at Thetford are onside, it’s never going to be a wholesale ‘hardcore’ Mtb venue because of the multi use and family friendly facilities ….. and the lack of actual mountains (though we have taken visitors from Glentress and managed to impress them with Thetfords better fast flowing singletrack!), TIMBER working on the Green & Blue trails is part of the deal, that said there are benefits of carrying out that work, if only improving the general publics perception of Mountainbikers 🙂 . Included in that there are huge opportunities for you to improve the venue to deliver more of what you want.

……….. the only thing missing is you.

Visit TIMBER website

flange
    Free Member

I ride Thetford a lot, and due to being a) a work shy fop and b) working away during the week I don’t get much chance to lend a hand trail building wise.

What I would say to the OP is consider what you’re saying before you post. Whilst Thetford has a LOT of MTBers, it has even more families visiting who probably don’t venture that far away from High Lodge. The bike shop (staffed by that moody bloke (who is actually ok, just a bit misunderstood)) makes most of its money from bike hire as oppose to just sales. Therefore, those trails are ridden by people who don’t do a massive amount of recreational riding and thus, a wide well surfaced, non-challenging trail is just what’s needed.

Thetford will never be THAT challenging but for me that’s part of the charm. You don’t have the elevation for a start and Thetfords strong point is its singletrack. Turn up to a winter series race or the D2D and marvel at how good the trails are. The natural singletrack there is some the best I’ve ever ridden, Brandon is especially good and stands up pretty well to winter.

I’m not sure a large dirtjumping spot like Sudborne would work at Thetford. Sudbornes strength is that you have to a) know where it is and b) drive out there to ride it – no cafe, no Go Ape or visitors centre, just dirt jumps. Can you image the carnage caused by all the people on hire bikes trying to hit a 30ft double like the ones at Sudborne?!? Keep Thetford natural – leave High Lodge for the families and have Brandon for the more serious folk. The cake is better too

prezet
    Free Member

So, as per my other post – keep Thetford for the xc’ers and the families? Nice and inclusive 🙂

strike
    Free Member

I think Thetford would benefit from a jumpspot (perhaps placed in the vicinity of the planned pump track?). It works well at Dalby, with Dixons Hollow. I don’t think you’re going to get families trying to ride doubles on their hire bikes, either!!!! I think there is a demand for a jump spot, as most weekends I’ve ridden there, there are kids on jump bikes around the bombholes. Sherwood Pines also proves the popularity and the draw of a jump spot. You’re not going to get your average XC rider on the jump spot, but if you can attract other riders of a different genre there, then that has to be a good thing.

Plus my experience/observations show that the ‘jumpers’ are usually quite enthusiastic at building things. Yes, they would need regulating, but it is the potential to get more hands to help. Perhaps it would also serve as a drive to get some Shore stuff put back, as I (and many others I know) really used to enjoy those sections on the Red Route (the beauty of them being that if you didn’t want to ride them there were chicken runs).

As for Mr BikeArt……..misunderstood – that’s one way of putting it!!!! We tried for several years to understand him, with the help of trying to spend cash with him, but to no avail.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘What the hell are they putting in the tap water at Thetford?’ is closed to new replies.