Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • What the heck are these grey arrows on my screen?
  • psychle
    Free Member

eh? they don't do anything… what are they for? 😕

MrNutt
    Free Member

ssssh its the " "

GrahamS

They are for Premier Members

crispybacon
    Free Member

they signify the STW hoi-poloi or premier members 😕

psychle
    Free Member

ah… I see, maybe I'll do the upgrade thing so I can have them to, always wanted a grey arrow thingy me 🙂 Plus I do have a premier member myself… 😉

woffle
    Free Member

All for differeniating between paid up / non-paid up members but it seems to me that the arrows feel like they're going to toggle something? When I first saw them I tried clicking them to see whether they opened the thread below or something? How about a star or a large dot?

Maybe I'm not explaining myself well but they just don't sit well due to the arrow = navigation association (but then I work on web design and usability for a large part of my day job so maybe it's a geek thing)

Drac

They do look like an icon for a drop down menu woffle.

psychle
    Free Member

that's what I tried to do… I clicked on several before deciding they did naught…

kevonakona
    Free Member

Don't get it, who cares whether a member is premier or not?

are they going to get preference in "discussions"? I'm a premier member therefore i demand all arguements which do not agree with my point of view are withdrawn.

Surely having the extras is enough (assuming there are extras).

Onzadog
    Free Member

Does being a premier member get you more leniency when bans are being handed out? If you pay money, can you get away with more?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Does being a premier member get you more leniency when bans are being handed out?If you pay money, can you get away with more?

No more leniency, just ask whatsisname 😆

Actually you could be thought of as having more to lose as I think a forum ban also blocks your extra content…….

tomdebruin
    Free Member

Maybe I'm not explaining myself well but they just don't sit well due to the arrow = navigation association (but then I work on web design and usability for a large part of my day job so maybe it's a geek thing)

Good pünt. I'll have a tinker today.

The point, btw, is mainly for classifieds. Essentially that seller can be more trusted because they have identified themselves to us. No, we won't hand out their details unless it is requested by a body with authority to do so, like the Police.

DickBarton

Are they trusted by you though? What would be stopping someone who isn't that great on the Classifieds paying you the Premier Membership fee? Would you be turning them away because there are reports by others that they aren't great to buy from? How do you decide they can be trusted or not?

Seems a bit far-fetched and airy-fairy to me (although I can understand why it is being done – there needs to be something to show that people are a trusted 'source' so that those using the Classifieds can have faith in buying from them…but I just don't get how that can be decided just by paying for a Premier Membership…

Wasn't meant to be a complaint, just querying how it is determined that they can be trusted because they have paid you some money…

flatfish
    Free Member

theres an awful lot of jelous people posting on this thread without arrows. 🙂

sturmey
    Free Member

This place gets more like a clique every month rather than a community of people with similar interests. Look at me i'm a premier member or I live in Calderdale that puts me in the inner circle. Big heads, show offs, willy wavers I dont think it's needed but I guess the people running the site seem to deem it necessary to be able to bragg.

flatfish
    Free Member

i rest my case

sturmey
    Free Member

Please point out any relevance for them, not jealous just can't see any need, but if you could enlighten me that would be great.

flatfish
    Free Member

i have no need for it, i didn't ask for it and i'd be just as happy without it but there are a lot of people seem to be jealous of a poxy grey arrow.
    it doesn't in any way, shape, or form make my life any better.

sturmey
    Free Member

My point exactly. I just wondered about the people who thought it was needed.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

the intention is to show easily who the premier members are as they have provided an address to STW towers so should be more reliable in the classifieds and certainly can be more easily tracked if they rip people off.

mtbfix

STW Towers have my address for my subscription copy to be sent to. Can I have a grey arrow now?

vinnyeh

It's a bit liking having a badge saying 'teachers pet' imo, and DickBarton makes good points about trustworthiness.

I'd actually like mine removed- I may buy the mag etc, but I don't necessarily want that made public.

Del

i suppose there's also the small point that if you post something defamatory the finger is much more easily pointed if your logon and address are easily linked together.
    if you want to give classified sellers an aura of greater trustworthiness why not just make the subscriber distinction in the classifieds?

scruff
    Free Member

I made myself a premier member cuz I wanted to actually read the whole Nick Larson intereview (which I still think was lazy journalism). I'm not arsed about having an arrow on the classiifeds, clicking on someones profile will give you an indication of how much they use the forum/ classifeds which is what I use as trust judgement if I dont know them.

miketually
    Free Member

STW Towers have my address for my subscription copy to be sent to. Can I have a grey arrow now?

Yes, that's one way you become a premier member.

I'd actually like mine removed- I may buy the mag etc, but I don't necessarily want that made public.

There are other ways to get to be a premier member, so people don't know that you buy the magazine. Well, they do now because you just posted it on the internet.

if people are getting this irate about little arrows, imagine how jealous they'd be of all the secret premier member stuff, like the VIP forum and the minions to sweep the trail clean before a ride and wash our bikes afterward 😉

DezB
    Free Member

VIP forum? 😯

Drac

Well you just told us you do, I didn't know that until you mentioned it. I'm now off to tell my neighbours.

miketually
    Free Member

VIP forum?

It's behind the velvet ropes over there, but you can't see it because you're not special.

😉

Drac

I got in the VIP area once, I snook in. Mark and Chipps were pole dancing, I'm never going back. 😳

flatfish
    Free Member

please get a bloody grip of yourselves, it's a **** arrow for gods sake.

Andituk
    Free Member

I think the arrow is mainly there so we know that you without are the poor folk, and to avoid you unless absolutely neccessary.

sturmey
    Free Member

Please keep quiet in the cheap seats 😆

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Blimey, I slip out of the VIP forum for a quick stroll and it's all kicked off out here! I'm off back to the VIP forum, dare say they've probably finished the 3rd coat of polish on my chain links by now

MrNutt
    Free Member

I'd prefer it if you lot just stayed out here and played, the VIP forum has got a little too lowbrow ever since Brant took to posting all those pictures of him dressed as spiderman, that said the light was perfect and I do believe in encouragement where there's obviously raw talent.

BigDummy
    Free Member

[Chuckling at this thread] 😀

miketually
    Free Member

[Chuckling at what was written about this thread in the VIP forum] 😀

Drac

[Chuckling about what was written about this thread in the VIP in the Elite Few Forum]

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

miketually, I couldn't believe what you said about the little people in there, mind you, it was a correct observation.

Have you used your 25% CRC discount card yet?

have you pressed the 'Random Banning' button on the upper left of the self service section in the VIP forum – most amusing

scruff
    Free Member

Premium users get 30% off at wiggle on last Sunday of the month.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘What the heck are these grey arrows on my screen?’ is closed to new replies.