Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 186 total)
  • What the F? 'The wheel decision isnt our choice'
  • RustySpanner

There have always been some great bikes available. 😀

Be interesting if contributors to this thread declared any industry/media involvement too.

my current big tyres make my bike so close to 650b size that there’s almost nothing in it

Mine too.
    Doesn’t seem much point in a new size really, does there?

hora
    Free Member

Create a buzz
    Shift more units
    Reinvent the wheel

To gullible ‘must be part of the crowd types’

A pro or top end rider shaving 1second etc per lap. Translates to waste of time for the other 95% of riders?

If I see a top end 29’er I think I’ll feel pity for the bloke riding it

asterix
    Free Member

my LBS has three otherwise identical bikes with the 3 different wheel sizes next to each other on a sales stand and most people cant actually tell which is which between the 26 and 650b, unless they compare the wheel sizes very deliberately. If they weren’t next to each other only the officianados would know which was which

The 29er is obviously different.

ampthill

I know its been said once. 1″ inch suspension forks were never a standard. I think 1 1/8″ was pretty big before any suspensions forks came out or many were sold. 26″ wheels have been standard for a really long time.

Forks have been said will not be too big a problem as 650b will fit. Rims should be fine as I don’t think expensive tooling is needed for a rim diameter so some one will keep making them. Tyres might be an issue but there will be a lot of bikes wanting new tyres for a long time yet. I think 27″ road wheels were dropped over 20 years ago and you can still get them.

In the original article I found this bit curious

“The supplier scuttled the order to avoid being stuck with 26-inch bikes when the wave of bigger wheels hits the shores in a few months.”

If that’s true then they cancelled the order due what they think consumers want. Not as an industry fix up.

I think that problem is simply this. The uk is too small a market to sway the industry. I think we are trapped by consumer demand in other countries. I think the American really want a new wheel size. I think consumers like buying into new ideas. In contintal Europe I think people don’t play triggers broom. I think they buy a bike and replace it when its old. So a wheel size change will be pain free.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

If I see a top end 29’er I think I’ll feel pity for the bloke riding it

Don’t, I really like my bike. 😀

Aristotle
    Free Member

hora – Member

Create a buzz
    Shift more units
    Reinvent the wheel

To gullible ‘must be part of the crowd types’
    Hora, is that you?

hora
    Free Member

Yeah thats right.

Thats why bike isn’t ‘trending’ and I run a 2001 XTR rear mech.

Get with the program

RustySpanner

hora – Member

Yeah thats right.

Thats why bike isn’t ‘trending’ and I run a 2001 XTR rear mech.

Get with the program

You had me until ‘program(me)’. 😀

My main mtb is 8 years old:
    It’s got a steel frame – you know, one of those that’ll ‘last a lifetime’.
    The 8 year old Mavic rims are perfect.
    The 8 year old Hope hubs run fine on new bearings.
    The 8 year old, well serviced Rebas are spot on.
    Everything else has been replaced, which is fine, because stuff wears out.

I love it.

If I have to spend another £1300 to replace it if it gets nicked, I don’t know if I’d bother.
    I’d probably just buy something secondhand, depriving a manufacturer of new bike sale.

This is such a horribly cynical move by the manufacturers and the media, I can see a lot of older mtb’ers just jacking it in.
    No new standards in walking boots. 😉

Btw, talking of the media, has anyone seen a dissenting article in any of the magazines?

theocb
    Free Member

I predict great bikes will still be made in 15 years time.

Does it really matter what wheel size they are?

NormalMan

Btw, talking of the media, has anyone seen a dissenting article in any of the magazines

Given advertising revenue I doubt we will.

With road bikes poised to ‘sprout’ discs it looks like the industry has cyclists every which way!

Who was it who said they were off to bmx? Don’t blame them, I’d join them but my kids would disown me 🙂

hora
    Free Member

No but its mildly irritating that we are told that visually-pretty products from last few years are now old hat. Its almost like Journos etc have short memories.

RustySpanner

Could almost be seen as making a mockery of their claims to represent the true interests of their readership, couldn’t it?

Unless they really, really believe it’s for the benefit of everyone.
    Not only the industry of which they are an intrinsic part.

ampthill

would anyone really stop cycling because they were upset about wheel sizes?

another way of looking at this is if 27.5 is just slighter better why not change. why spend the next thousand years on the less good wheel size because changing is a bit of a pain

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

ampthill – Member
    would anyone really stop cycling because they were upset about wheel sizes?

another way of looking at this is if 27.5 is just slighter better why not change. why spend the next thousand years on the less good wheel size because changing is a bit of a pain

For a few people lucky enough, riding bikes is their profession.

For everyone else, its something they do for fun.

If you think that a slight change in wheel size will make you have better fun then go ahead, I’m not that bothered though.

RustySpanner

I’ve got old frames & wheels that are used in the winter and for touring.
    We pass them on to the kids.
    They get used and recycled.

But mostly because I don’t like being bent over and taught a lesson by bunch of **** in polo neck jumpers who have decided that the hard earned few grand that me and my Mrs have spent on our hobby over the last 20 years was a complete and utter waste of time.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Because I don’t like being bent over and taught a lesson by bunch of **** in polo neck jumpers who have decided that the hard earned few grand that me and my Mrs have spent on our hobby over the last 20 years was a complete and utter waste of time because some aresehole has decided that we no longer matter.

Yet you are likely to have already bought a few grands worth of kit over the last few years, or do you still ride a muddy fox courier?

No but its mildly irritating that we are told that visually-pretty products from last few years are now old hat. Its almost like Journos etc have short memories.

This has been going on since mtb began, every year they tell us the new bikes are better. Its life.

MSP

I hope non of the complainers ever need to buy a car, the variety of wheel sizes available would blow their tiny little minds.

slackalice
    Free Member

Because I don’t like being bent over and taught a lesson by bunch of **** in polo neck jumpers who have decided that the hard earned few grand that me and my Mrs have spent on our hobby over the last 20 years was a complete and utter waste of time because some aresehole has decided that we no longer matter.

Quite possibly taking it all a bit too personally Rusty 😉

As for you now regarding it as being a complete and utter waste of time… well, does that now mean you retrospectively un-enjoy the rides you have had? Or that now there is a third wheel size, you can no longer enjoy your chosen hobby on the bike/s you currently ride?

And I’m absolutely certain that you matter, to very many people.

RustySpanner

Yet you are likely to have already bought a few grands worth of kit over the last few years, or do you still ride a muddy fox courier?

The wheels from my 1993 Rockhopper are still being used.

In fact, ALL the stuff that didn’t break or wear out is still being used by someone.

Lots of people are lucky enough to be able to go out and buy a new, expensive bike to start riding on.
    This magazine pushes the idea that £2000.00 is the normal spend for a first bike.

Or that now there is a third wheel size, you can no longer enjoy your chosen hobby on the bike/s you currently ride?

Well, we don’t know how long it’ll be supported, do we?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I suppose asking those who can afford such things to have a care for those less fortunate is pointless.

The point I’m making is that anyone who isn’t really into bikes will look at all bikes over £200 and think who buys into all this crap.

bigger wheels, extra gears, uppy downy posts, suspension its all just bells and whistles to make you part with money.

Dickyboy

to look at it another way – how many other sports & pastimes have enjoyed such simple interchangeability between components in the past, as cyclists we have been lucky that we can swap one bit from one bike to another & upgrade from a variety of manufacturers with the knowledge that the parts should fit, trouble is now cycling is so much more mainstream that for various reasons all sorts of manufacturers are coming up with all sorts of different standards in their various components*, sadly it is a sign of the times & I shall enjoy my tinkering all the less for it – which on the plus side will keep me out cycling on my 26″ wheeled bikes for some years to come.

* going back 60+ years you could easily swap quite a few car & motorcycle parts from one machine to another

theocb
    Free Member

😆

This seems like a ‘I’ve just found out father Christmas isn’t real’ thread

I’m really sorry you had to find out like this but Marketing BS has led the way since day one. Sorry man I’m feeling for you! But dry your eyes.. great bikes are popping out everywhere at every price range with a choice of bleeding wheel sizes. Happy days!

bikeryder85
    Free Member

As I read this I can’t help but feel as though I must apologize for my fellow countrymen. While I have stayed loyal to 26in bikes (had to join this forum to find that the whole world hadn’t gone mad), it has been a pretty steady takeover here in the US. My local shop just sold his last 26in bike recently (he said he was glad to see it gone, took him ages to sell it). Sadly they are all now 29ers now, and they are moving so quickly that I fear the writing my be on the wall over here (me and one other guy are all I know left on 26in). I hope this is all “chicken little” where you guys are, and the 26in stays the main player in the UK; I’ve really enjoyed taking solace in the notion that you all were still sane.

sefton
    Free Member

I raced this years enduro 6. a club member rode it on what looked like a 10-15year old mtb with v brakes and a clunky fork. he had the 5th fastest lap of the day. there where lots of carbon 29″ exotica around the field.

if your buying new make you choice. if you want to stay 26″ enjoy cheap parts (just like cheap 9speed parts at the mo).

the media types have to write about something that will captivate the reader (much like ‘core exercises’ or the must do interval work out or post ride recovery drink). you create your reality.

since good forks and disc brakes everything else is just ‘marginal gains’

choice is good.

duir
    Free Member

Fear not, 27.5 etc is not actually happening in the real world. It’s just something that mags and forums believe is real. Sadly individuals of a more delicate constitution are starting to question themselves….you don’t need to. Look around you, know many people that own or want a 27.5? Me neither. It is the most utter bolloxs of the highest order in the history of MTB.

Do not believe anything you are told on a website or in a magazine that has pages and pages of advertising space. 27.5 is merely a virtual wheel size.

ampthill

I’m glad people want to keep old stuff going. But I really don’t see the wheel size thing as being a big deal as some are making out. It doesn’t turn a bike collection to junk

I have 3 bikes. The first was bought for an 18 birthday present in 1984 I think. It started off with 27 inch wheels its now running 700c. Its a bit if a dog and not ridden anymore.

I have a 1999 hard tail that nearly got binned 3 years ago. But £100 pounds of Alivio type bits got it going again. Its mainly now my road bike. Its 8 speed but I’m confident that for the next 20 years, forks aside, I’ll be able to keep it running. It was a pain getting new forks 4 (ish) years ago. It was hard to find 80mm forks, harder still with canti bosses. I’m really tall so steerer length was an issue. But patience served up some marzochi Z2s with a steerer longer than I needed used on ebay

My FS was bought ridden once by previous owner for £800. I’m sure this can be kept running for years. Unless the frame breaks or suspension linkage fails. New forks will be easier than the hard tail even if shops only sell 650 b forks. I refuse to believe rims and tyres will not be available in 20 years time

Am I wrong? Will I really have to junk a bike because I can’t parts. Will it really be harder than say being a bit patient on ebay?

bikeryder85
    Free Member

haha, thank duir I haven’t panicked yet, and am looking at yet another 26in hardtail after all (456c evo or Soul). I haven’t drank the koolaid yet! Just a shame really, I’d hate to see it go away over here (tho chain reaction does ship to the US, just in case it does).

TimCotic
    Free Member

I was at dinner on Sunday eveing with a keen biking couple and the chap was all doom and gloom about his bikes becoming obsolete. I suppose there is some threat to the resale values, but if you like the bike, and it rides well then why not keep riding it? It’s tempting to regard your current bike as a down-payment on the next exciting thing, but you have to say to yourself….I got this bike to ride it – not as an investment! It will have been worth the money if you’ve had a long and happy life together. I spent a bit on my 2010 Flux with 1.25 headtube, and 26″ Revelation fork and Stans 26″ wheels, but it makes now sense to dump my 26 inch bike for peanuts in order to spend a fortune on a 650b frame/Taper Fork/650b wheels – because I may not be able to get 26″ fork spares, Maxle hub spares, 26″ rim/spokes, 1.125″ headseats in 10 years time.

wrecker
    Free Member

By calling it 27.5, you are perpetuating the bullshit. It’s not 27.5″. It’s not half way between 26 and 29.

stratman
    Free Member

At the risk of exposing ignorance, given the above picture, there’s 25mm difference in diameter -is there not enough clearance to put a 650b wheel in a 26″ frame anyway?

bikeryder85
    Free Member

Wrecker- I saw that yesterday and thought the same thing…27in is much more accurate.

bikeryder85
    Free Member

stratman- yes in some cases, just read today that a 456c can take them, and I know there is a guy on mtbr that has had them in his mojo HD for 2yrs now

wrecker
    Free Member

There’s quite a few. Blur TRc is one. 26″ fox forks take 650b wheels.

bobsoff2
    Free Member

I’ve just bought new forks off Merlin…
    £250+ for service/new sliders @ Mojo (coz they’re scored, £730 Retail,
    £379 from Merlin.. oh, but they were 2012 models !!!
    Can’t go wrong ! 😀

5milallenkey
    Free Member

I’m 5’4″. I have a small Soul which is great; I like the way it turns fast. Am I (and other average sized women) going to be stuck with loon wheeled barges in future?

ampthill

At the risk of exposing ignorance, given the above picture, there’s 25mm difference in diameter -is there not enough clearance to put a 650b wheel in a 26″ frame anyway?

Perhaps with a thinner tyre. I think I saw some one with 29er wheels in the carbon 456 on here.

But of course the other way is far easier. Your 26 inch wheel in a 650b fork will be fine

brooess
    Free Member

I suspect the story that’s being put out about manufacturers no longer supporting 26 inch may just be to scare people into buying the new size because they think their current bike will be obsolete and they won’t be able to get spares.
    It’s a way to create demand where there is none. 650B isn’t different enough from what almost the whole of the installed base of bikes is, hence there’s no demand. If 26 stays supported, there’s no reason to buy 650B. 29 maybe, but not this meaningless midsize.
    So the industry puts out the message that it’ll no longer be supporting 26 so that those who don’t want 29 have to buy 650B.
    Honestly, this isn’t genuine innovation in the way most of MTB product development has been since the mid-80s, it’s manipulation of the highest order and I really hope it fails…

aracer
    Free Member

wrecker et al, care to join me in my anti marketing BS naming? From earlier in this thread:

27″ (I’m making the policy decision to call it what it really is rather than what the marketing folk call it)

LoCo
    Free Member

photo (2) by Loco Tuning, on Flickr

😉

photo (2) – Copy by Loco Tuning, on Flickr

😀

Wookster

I’m surprised at the vitriol coming out of this thread! Ive had a look to see if I can find the 29er version of this thread from three four five years ago!

I understand the issues Im on a 26er (as I said earlier in the thread Ive been blessed with a no longer made bike with a one off 142+ wheel standard thanks Spesh!) but Hey Ho Im not buying an MTB for a few years anyway and wouldn’t due to these changes and that I don’t chop and change bikes too often.

But has anyone ridden a 650b?? I doubt many have Ive only seen one in the LBS at Afan, they might be blooming great! But lets be honest WMB is a sales pitch, and always will be like What car, but Im looking forward to Worland eat al celebrating how awesome the 650b what not is even better than the super duper Santa Cruz Tall boy LTC. (Which is the best thing ever)

In the end we will be driven by bigger markets in the MTB world unless we stick to smaller companies Cotic On-One who cater for the UK market more. It will still come down to riding the test bike if you like it buy it regardless of wheel size. Id be surprised if the after market 26″ parts market had the a&$e torn out of it for a while yet.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 186 total)

The topic ‘What the F? 'The wheel decision isnt our choice'’ is closed to new replies.