Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • what the average car worth as scrap value nowadays??
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

thats if i weight it in at the scrap metal merchants…not a car breakers yard..

maccruiskeen

well steel is about £180 per ton, but unless you de-pollute it (fuel, oil, hydraulics fluids, battery acid), strip out all the things the scrapper would need to pay landfill tax on – tyres, all the interior (which costs the yard £48 per ton to dispose of) etc, then you’ll get less than that. Call your local yard and ask what their rate for ‘dirty scrap’ is. All the non-steel bits are worth more if you could be bothered to separate them out – copper from the wiring and motors is nearer to £1800 per ton, but if its mixed with anything else – ie the copper wire is still inside the steel motor – you’ll only get the price of the cheapest element

Apparently some of the bigger scrapyards can find thousands of pounds each day just by fishing out loose change from the glove box and under the seats, so you’ll realised more quids for your effort doing that. To be honest steel is so cheap you need to be weighing in an awful lot of it to make it worth the bother of doing it yourself.

toys19
    Free Member

I got 85 for my 406 collected from my drive, he told me he got 135 for them at the metal recyclers, they whip the tyres off and squish the rest whole.

molgrips
    Free Member

How do recyclers recycle a cubed car? Must be a technical challenge there?

maccruiskeen

the cubes get shredded – the shreds get sorted

fabulous narrator
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsUVoztMxA4[/video]

5lab

ballpark of £100 seems about right, depending on the car you can get more from the freeads selling it as spares/repair

I was quoted £150 a tonne a few weeks ago, but the price is up and down day by day.
    Copper or aluminium radiators, alternators and starter motors will be worth more if weighed in separately, but probably not worth the bother for a single item.
    Some scrap yards will refuse to take tyres, some will reduce the price for each tyre left on.

I used to work in a waste transfer station and we would collect or take in scrap cars.
    There was very little recycling done.
    I would take the wheels off, drain the fuel and rip the radiator out. We would then stuff the car with any other scrap found in the skips and crush it with a 360 excavator. Off it went then to the steel works at Newport.

doris
    Free Member

Last week i got £120 for my old banger and the scrapyard even came and collected it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘what the average car worth as scrap value nowadays??’ is closed to new replies.