What Tapered Headset?

Home Forum Bike Forum What Tapered Headset?

• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by  leo72.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What Tapered Headset?
  • therealhoops

are they all much of a much? which should I avoid? usual questions

spectabilis

The cups are generally all down to the bearings really…
    Can’t go wrong with a Hope one, also the New Nukeproof ones I’ve dealt with recently have been very good.

waller

I just fitted a da bomb. Rubbish name but really good.

My Superstar one is still running perfectly nearly 18 months after fitting with zero maintenance. Shock horror…

crankrider

Hope. Job done!

Quality, spares, made in the uk, lots of colours, what isn’t to like? (price maybe….)

legend

just swapped from a frame with a Superstar to one with a Hope. Prefer the Superstar tbh

crankrider

just swapped from a frame with a Superstar to one with a Hope. Prefer the Superstar tbh

Really? – care to go into that? The hope has stainless bearings, rubber seals for upper and lower crowns / bearing cover.

The ss is standard bearings, no lower seal etc

Maybe the previous owner abused the hope one?

ahwiles

i’ve got a couple of cane creek 40’s, they’re very very good.

much better* than either the nukeproof on my Dh bike, or the old Hope Jobby i’ve got knocking around somewhere.

(*in terms of keeping crap out of the bearings)

crankrider

The Cane Creek 40 range seems pretty good, lower seals are good too….

legend

Really? – care to go into that? The hope has stainless bearings, rubber seals for upper and lower crowns / bearing cover.

Prefer the simple, chunky, minimal parts design. E.g. One piece top cap and wedge, big cartridges instead of the bottom bearing that can fall into pieces.

The Mrs had a Hope for a couple of years and it was fine with her amount (lack of) maintenance. My SS last just as well, just prefer the design. Different strokes n that really

The ONLY headset I’ve been given constant grief with was a Hope one. Oh and a Nukeproof as well which was utter crap.

Two Superstar ones now on two different bikes and they’ve been faultless.

But thats not what people want to hear on here. They want to jump on the anti-SS bandwagon and tar all their product with the same shitty brush that was used for their dodgy batches of brake pads.

Meanwhile in the real world, I like their stuff. Cheap. Does a job.

tinribz

Superstar! In a tasteful lime green. Fitting seemed to go easier than normal. Comes with free extra 1 1/8th crown thingy too.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I had a Hope, it was fine- no better than the cheap Cane Creeks I use in straight steerers tbf, but at the time there wasn’t much choice and Hope have always been great for mixing up sizes etc.

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

Another superstar fan here.

Great headsets and mine came with two crown races for taper and non taper.

milky1980

Got a Superstar Tapered on my 5 and it’s been fit and forget. Swapped the bearings out after a year (always done as part of a full rebuild) and they were still smooth. Now kept as spares. Only bought it as there was no stock available of Hope at the time, can’t justify changing it!!

reggiegasket

Nukeproof work well.

fivespot

My NP headset lasted 3 months, crap bearings and seals. The replacement Hope one is still perfect 18 months on.

cultsdave

I have a superstar one. Its fine but the lower bearing goes gritty after a couple of months. Cheap to replace at about £7ish. It works fine for the price. I would buy a hope one next.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

Another cane creek 40 here, does the job well

Premier Icon leo72
    Subscriber

Cane Creek Forty here too. 🙂

/Leo

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What Tapered Headset?’ is closed to new replies.