• This topic has 26 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • what tablet to replace Nexus 7 ?
  • iainc

Wondering about a change after 2 yr old Nexus has been pretty gubbed by Lollipop 5, despite all the online fixes. Don’t really want to go to ipad. Any suggestions ? Also have windows phone through work and a chromebook.

weeksy

hudl2

therevokid
    Free Member

changed mine to a Tab S 10.5 …. more due to crap eyes 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

I degubbed my lollipop’d N7 with a factory reset and setting animations to off and limiting background running apps.

However, I also bought a Hudl2 before lollipopping the N7. And I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it. It really is excellent performing, perfect form factor, and a bargin at £110 from tesco direct with a £10 off your first order code.

nemesis
    Free Member

Does the Hudl have full android functionality (eg unlike say the Kindle Fires)?

weeksy

nemesis – Member

Does the Hudl have full android functionality (eg unlike say the Kindle Fires)?

Yes, unless I’ve missed something. I can’t think of anything my Nexus could do that the Hudl2 can’#t

Stoner
    Free Member

Hudl2 arguably has better functionality over N7 as it has a MicroSD slot and mini HDMI output.
    PS Hudl2 is easy to de-tescofy by simply installing the free Nova Launcher, making it default and you can disable other tesco apps within the apps management. Over the last few weeks of ownership Ive not seen or heard a peep out of the Tesco side of the device.

iainc

Hudl2 seems to get great reviews too, so that’s top of the list now, ta

zap
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack this thread, Read with interest about Lollipop, I have bought my son a nexus 7 2013 for christmas, I know absolutely squat about android, Can I stop it updating if this update causes problems with the nexus 7. I have already set it up with his apps etc and popped it back in the box ready to be unwrapped and played with, just wondering now if I should disable anything. Cheers

Stoner
    Free Member

mine was a 2012 first gen.
    yours for your boys is probably 2013+ 2nd gen.

Im not sure whether it’s had any problems with lollipop – you will probably find out more with some more google searching.

nemesis
    Free Member

Ah, very cool – thanks a lot – I’ve been looking for replacements for my 2012 N7 just like the OP (though mine’s still on Kitkat and working ok ish most of the time) and also one for Nem Jnr.

Zap – try ‘kidmode’ by zoodles. That’s what I use on Nem Jnr’s tablet. It allows you to control which apps they can use:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zoodles.kidmode&hl=en_GB

And it’s free 🙂

iainc

Mine also early 2012 one and totally goosed, later ones appear to have handled upgrade better

zap
    Free Member

Cheers, Nemisis he is 13, bought it to stop him robbing my ipad, he probably knows more than me. will check it out though.

nemesis
    Free Member

Ah, that’ll be too babyish for him then…

At 13, I think you’re going to have to trust him (he’ll work a way around any controls you put on) or work out how to log/track/control internet usage via wifi at home depending on how controlled you want to be.

iainc

Is the hudl2 at risk of a lollipop style wrecker update too though ? I see its on android KitKat…

richmtb

Iain,

How goosed are we talking. My Nexus 7 soft-bricks on a regular basis – If you let the battery run completely flat it won’t boot properly – its a known issue with the first gen model – it just sits at the booting screen and will never boot properly.

I’ve got a couple of toolkits that will restore Nexus back to factory defaults. It wipes all the data but once its restored it runs fine – untli the next time I forget to charge it.

tthew

Zap – I’ve got the 2013 Nexus 7, no problem with Lollipop here.

zap
    Free Member

Cheers “tthew” good to know

Prophet2
    Free Member

I also have a 2013 Nexus 7, no issues upgrading.

iainc

Rich, have done the factory reset and cache clear fixes a few times. Since lollipop it crashes out of FB most times I scroll the screen, crashes on here and most other websites and takes ages to load pages. Battery life has also gone down significantly. Proper goosed I reckon !

iainc

Hudl2 and case ordered, cashed in the club card points and left to pay £25 🙂 thanks for all the ideas

oldboy
    Free Member

My Nexus 7 Mk 1 (still on Kit Kat) freezes constantly and thus has to be reset, and won’t play YouTube without buffering half the time – a useless piece of sh*t. Wouldn’t recommend Nexus to anyone. Might give the Hudl2 a try, thanks guys.

iainc

Just on Hudl now, seems better in every way so far 😀

mm93
    Free Member

My nexus is just about unusable now too,tried all the online advice but it constantly freezes and crashes still.
    Think i might try a hudl 2 or would it be worth the extra to buy an iPad,ive never owned anything apple before???
    A little off topic but my 2 year old lumia 920 windows phone still runs as smooth as silk despite being full of music,photos and videos,shame they don’t seem to be catching on.

harryjan
    Free Member

I’ve always been an android guy; but the Ipad Air 2 is just so nice.

If they could build an Android tablet with the same quality I’d buy it in an instance.

As it stands I think I’ll be asking a mate to pick me up an Ipad from the states when he’s over next year

iainc

Think i might try a hudl 2 or would it be worth the extra to buy an iPad,ive never owned anything apple before???

. I went through that process too, the online reviews seemed to reckon the iPad is a little better but not commensurate with the price difference. On hudl2 now and its really good. Took about 20 mins to set up out the box Max, with chrome and cloud just falling into place effortlessly.

andyl
    Free Member

Been looking hard at tablets lately. Picked up the LG G-pad 8.0 on impulse last week (was on offer for £100) but glad I checked the reviews before I opened it as the screen was not full HD and it’s only got 1gb ram. Although to be fair when I played with the display one (John Lewis) it’s nicely made, clear screen and the split screen function is good.

I was then set to get a Hudl2 after being recommended one but it’s quite a way to a Tesco with them on display for me and I spotted on HUKD that Waitrose might have some Nexus 7s for £99. Remembered my local waitrose had a well neglected AV section and low and behold they had an old N7 out on display but two 2013 models in stock so grabbed on.

I did manage to get to some large shops the other day and took a look at the Hudl2 and was VERY impressed. the 8.3″ screen is a great size and very clear. I want the tablet to go in my car dash and although a 7″ is a bit small the 8.3″ HUDl2 is a bit too big and there is a lot of people working with N7 software so am sticking that route. The plan was a removable install with one table that will do everything but now leaning towards a second tablet so still looking and my current picks are:

Asus 8″ memopad – I wouldnt ge thtis but felt it deserved a mention as it did quite snappy performance out of the atom cpu but only 1gb of ram. The low ram is not ideal and might hurt with lots running hence my not recomending it. But actually seemed nice to use and under-rated. I think the snappyness comes from not being messed with too much or the software they do add being efficient.

Lenovo S8 – hard to find info on this as Lenovo seem a bit crap lately. Spec is pretty much identical to the HUDL2 with the same atom cpu and ram. Despite some people claiming it doesnt have GPS it does, cant find any info to confirm other sensors though and no light sensor. Screen is pretty nice (full HD IPS) and it has an FM radio (needs headphones). But I did notice some lag on the display model, that could have been due it having no wifi connection so was trying to connect or it could be due to the heavily tweaked android. Lovely size with not much bezel, nice and thin and dolby stereo speakers on the front and an 8mp rear camera. If you buy tonight then it is £129 on offer and you can get the VAT back (ends tonight).

Hudl2 – tbh this is what I am leaning towards. The camera is rubbish (5mp and not good) but it’s all about that screen. Okay, it’s not an Apple retina or a Samsung OLED (I find the OLED too false tbh) but the size is just fantastic. 7″ is too small for what I want it for, 8″ is okay but for some reason that extra 0.3″ just makes it a nice size. It’s nice and bright and clear. It feels solid with the rubber surround. Again dolby stereo like the Lenovo (seems to be an Atom thing) but they are on the back which is a shame. Dedicate HDMI out (but the Nexus 7 does it over the USB connector anyway) and SD card (Lenovo also has this). some reviewers claimed the touch screen was laggy but I didn’t notice any problems.

Ipad mini – the prices of the old ones are not bad and I actually prefer the 7.9″ mini to the larger one for something I want portable and use solely as a tablet. If it’s more of a laptop replacement (as the OH does and thus I am getting her an Ipad air 2) then the full size one is best.

Samsung – various models, the expensive ones with the high res (like Nexus 9 and Retina screens) are lovely but looking at £250+

Nexus N9 – Now I do like this. The screen is great and it is so responsive but £320 for the lower memory one is silly. That is ipad money and yes it is possibly better than an ipad but it needs to be cheaper for the memory size.

Ipad air 2 – stupid pricing jumps for the extra memory (OH wants the 128gb version but I am not convinced she needs it) and as much as I want to hate them there is something about them in use and E-papers/magazine look fantastic on there. Macs have the advantage that they have a lot of people making ‘nice’ media and apps for them.

Sony – some really nice tablets and waterproof but are mid to upper price bracket.

Other wild card is the Lenovos with the large battery/stand down the side. I actually find them comfy to hold (but you will want to flip them round so you are holding the battery) and the benefit is the battery life is pretty much unrivalled. BUT i prefer a flat tablet and the battery makes it odd to hold the flat side due to balance.

As for Lollipop – Hudl2 should be getting it eventually but you should be okay. Lots of Atom based ones will be getting it soon.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘what tablet to replace Nexus 7 ?’ is closed to new replies.