Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • What summer/Sunday road bike?
  • crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Without disks

the “commuter wagon” comment you said was a “bit harsh” appeared to be referring to disc braked bikes at the £1500 pricepoint that the OP was asking for. I think we’re all in danger of violently agreeing with each other about being getting a lighter non-disc bike for the money!

chakaping
    Free Member

Please go ahead and show this on some calibrated scales.

Don’t borrow them off that guy with the Trance though!

😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Please go ahead and show this on some calibrated scales.
    I have a hat ready for eating.

7.4kg, with pedals, bottle cage, garmin sensors and steel railed padded saddle. I don’t have a pic of it on the scales, but rest assured they were calibrated by UKAS.

Do you want ketchup or horseraddish with that hat?

ac282

You do know that the UCI limit is 6.8 kg don’t you?

TiRed

The best reason for discs on a road bike is to fit silly light carbon rims and tubs. Your budget doesn’t stretch to the price of the rims, let alone the petrol for the following team car 😉

Might be some cheap left-field choices such such a ktm revalator.

But the tcr is a great do it all bike.

letitreign
    Free Member

From your description and budget, have you considered a cyclocross bike? (I ride both road and CX) but to be honest, you’ll probably get more use out of a cyclocross bike, I know I do, what with winter riding, commuting, off road riding and like you say Sunday morning rides.

You’ve got more options with tires too, you can still stick some fast rolling slick tires on, or something with more grip for winter and off road riding.

If you’re into MTBing, a CX would be a perfect transition to a ‘road biking’ that will still give you a buzz riding on the roads and the option to have a bit of a riot off road and on the trails.

Carbon frames aren’t all that either, most aluminium frames now are lighter and you actually end up going faster and doing further miles on a comfortable bike, as opposed to what it’s made of, unless you’re racing or you’re really hung up on weight, for the price difference, it’s not going to make that much difference.

Disk brakes come as standard on most CX bikes anyway, if your riding mostly on your own or in all weather conditions, hilly areas, around busy towns etc then disk brakes are the way to go.

You’re budget will easily get you a half decent bike for bombing around on.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

There’s been some great £1k deals on Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc recently, at Rutland; Hargoves; Paul’s Cycles.

fifeandy
    Free Member

7.4kg

Fabulous, what about the other 600g?
    I still feel my hat and digestive tract are quite safe.

juanghia
    Free Member

Yep, this shopping list has got to closer to £3500 to get this R500 close to the UCI limit

Frame: Cannondale 2.8 R500 1996 54cm
    Fork: Look HSC1 1” full carbon
    Headset: Chris King 1” nothreadset
    Stem: Syntace F99 with titanium bolts
    Handlebar: Schmolke SL compact
    Saddle: San Marco Aspide carbon fx narrow
    Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece with titanium parts
    Brakes: Campagnolo Record skeleton
    Shifters: Campagnolo Record Ultra 10s
    Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Record titanium
    Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Record titanium 10s
    Crankset: Campagnolo Super Record 50/34
    Cassette: Campagnolo Record titanium 10s 12/25
    Chain: Campagnolo Record 10s
    Pedals: Time Xpresso 12
    Wheelset – Zipp 303
    Tubulars: Veloflex carbon
    Skewers: Leichtbau titanium
    Bottlecage: Tune carbon
    I know it’s possible to make very light alu bikes on a budget, take an ALR frame add some chinese carbons and throw a chorus groupset, (sell the Shimano Junk and finishing kit recoup some costs) and a smattering of plastic at it and it’s close to 7kg .

Still not sure it’s possible to make a £1500 UCI breaking bike (even if you buy second hand, ebay parts etc)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Posted earlier on bikeradar…

http://www.slanecycles.com/scott-addict-r3-bike-size-medium-2010-p-3352.html

7.88Kg with Aksium wheels for £1200, buy some Hunt upgrades, profit. 😉

theflatboy
    Free Member

Very nice carbon disc Scott in Evans yesterday, 2016 model not sure which one

Edit – this one. Looked pretty tasty for the money, if that’s the type of thing you’re after.

StuF

These are very nice, very smooth.

Zephyr

mcj78
    Free Member

Back on track – seen some good deals on the Cube Agree, slightly racier than the Attain posted up there^ i think – a looker too:

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Should you own a Cube?

you’re working class
    you live in a town called Barrow in Furness
    your favourite colours are blue, with adjacent green
    you work shifts at a toilet roll factory, and you cycle there
    you wear rigger boots to ride your bike
    your favourite jacket is flourescent yellow
    you pedal with your knees sticking out
    you’ve never heard of the UCI weight limit

If you nodded, or even said “yes” to any of the above, then you’re probably a good candidate for a Cube bike.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

you live in a town called Barrow in Furness

Outside. Now.

juanghia
    Free Member

If you nodded, or even said “yes” to any of the above, then you’re probably a good candidate for a Cube bike.

I would just like to add to that list…

Have you podiumed in National Points series Races.
    Have you won Regional Races.
    And are you considerably faster than me?

to that list.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Exactly. Hardly “World Tour” calibre like Cannondale/Giant/Specialized etc.

juanghia
    Free Member

LOL sorry I was just talking about the one I own…Which is no doubt considerably faster than any bike you’ve ever owned.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Has it got discs?

MrSmith
    Free Member

a looker too:

😆 😆 😆 😆 😯

atlaz
    Free Member

Might be some cheap left-field choices such such a ktm revalator.

I’d agree. Not a brand with a lot of road cycling recognition yet but they’re great bikes.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

There was a thread that i saw a while ago on weight weenies with a UCI illegal bike that the guy spent about 13-1500 dollars on.

Judicious use of Chinese carbon and second hand kit figured in the build. A lot.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

If you click StuF’s link above there is also a Whyte Stowe for sale for slightly over your budget with ultegra, discs and a carbon frame.

One big plus for me with discs is the ability to run bigger tyres. Schwalbe s ones in 30mm are awesome.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

juanghia you’re obviously new here – I wouldn’t call davidtaylforth a troll as he’s too witty for that moniker, but better to sit back and enjoy than rise to his posts.

blitz

What about this if it fits (5’8 – 5’11 ish)

https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/orbea-avant-m30-disc-2016-Q2210425.108.html

Carbon, 105, discs but can also take calipers. Looks good for £1200

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Fabulous, what about the other 600g?

bottle cage, garmin sensors and steel railed padded saddle.

That saddle weighs 400g IIRC (300g over a weight weenie one)
    The forks are IIRC 550g (another 250g)
    sensors, cheap pedals, bottle cages, etc

Yep, this shopping list has got to closer to £3500 to get this R500 close to the UCI limit

I know it’s possible to spend £3500 upgrading a bike, but what’s that shopping list go to do with my <£1500 one?

Even that Scott posted is 7.88kg with askiums for £1200, and there’s proably some very easy ways on it to lose a kilo.

tpbiker
    Free Member

If you have to ask on here about which bike to buy you dont know enough understand the pro’s and con’s or rim and disc brakes.

Really odd comment given even the pros can’t decide on the merits of disk brakes…

My tuppance….do agree that rim brakes are more than adequate in 90% of situations, even when wet.I do det the point about rim wear however, its the one thing that attracts me to disks as I’d be far more inclined to spend 1.5k on some nice wheels if i didn’t think I was wearing them out every time i braked.

I’d finsd a bike I liked, if it has disks then thats a bonus.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Some good suggestions there, cheers folks, grist to the mill….

chowsh
    Free Member

How about this with an extra 10% off. I have the 9.8 rim brake version and I really enjoy it.
    https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/521-y1415-sls-9.0-11-disc.html

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘What summer/Sunday road bike?’ is closed to new replies.