• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by fizik.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What strong but light rim?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Managed to get a few flat spots on rear WTB rim that came on my Whyte T130rs – not alone though as others have same problem – they’re made of cheese! Want to replace with something much more durable and rebuild using current spokes and Hope Pro 4 hub. Current ones have 27mm internal width. Stans, Hope, DT Swiss?

hatter
    joebristol

Just bear in mind the new rim may have a different ERD and require new spokes. You may get lucky though.

Not sure what wtb rim you have – if it’s a KOM they’re light but soft. You could look and see if the equivalent wtb frequency has the same erd – they’re a stronger rim I believe.

daern
    Free Member

Echo the comment on the KOM, which I use on my XC bike. I’ve cracked a couple, but they’re so cheap that I just swap them as needed. Not had one fail on a ride yet so I actually rate them quite highly.

I keep pondering replacing them with carbon, but the KOMs are almost as light and, if not quite as stiff, they are much, much cheaper!

fathomer

Like I said last night, either a Stan’s Flow, DT Swiss EX471 (511 if you want wider) or the stronger WTB whatever. I’m running Arch’s on both my bikes but I’m a bit lighter than you and if doing again would probably go with the 471 on the bouncy bike.

And as @joebristol say, check the ERD’s, if you’re not sure talk to Mike.

tdog
    Free Member

Spank for rims would be a good shout tbh.

Talk to Frank 😝

lawman91

Running Arch MK3’s on my T130C RS with Pro4’s and they’ve been faultless. Went for a 28 hole build to save a little weight and add some compliance and they’ve been ace, really impressed and they are so, so easy to setup tubeless. Previous Stan’s rims have been hard to get tyres on, but these are so easy. Can’t recommend them enough.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Arch or Flow Mk3 depending on your priorities.

Btw, if it’s a 2017 RS, the stock rim is 29mm internal.

philjunior
    Free Member

I used to always recommend Mavic on these threads, but they’ve stopped selling their top end rims separate from wheelsets. So, er, not Mavic. 🙁

tdog
    Free Member

Most definitely not Mavic, as like a knife through soft cheese.

except it doesn’t taste nice and creamy, more loamy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Stans seem to survive getting dented by virtue of their really shallow sidewalls. DT just seem to have more metal in them, both work IME.

Mavic haven’t really sold a worthwhile rim in years, they just didn’t move with the times. The last time I bought new (i.e. it wasn’t a 10+ year old design) Mavic rim it was still 26″ and not tubeless.

twonks

Hi Rascal. I’ve recently had some 29″ DT EX511 built up on Hope Pro 4 hubs by Moonglu. Not cheap but a very nice wheelset and not too heavy considering they cope with my 117Kg easily.

Bought a set of factory wheels from here that had Kore realm 30mm rims and they are slightly heavier and feel to have a lot more flex, although I appreciate that could just be down to factory tolerances nd me then trying to re tension them.

Have Arch EX on the 26″ bikes and they’ve never put a foot wrong.

fizik
    Free Member

Spank rims have been some of the stiffest strongest rims I have had. I have the oozy 295s in 29er guise…100kg rider weight in the lakes on both hardtail and full sus. Got a few mates running them too. Seem much less susceptible to dents too

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What strong but light rim?’ is closed to new replies.