Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • What steel hardtail frame for 120-130mm fork?
  • neninja
    Free Member

It’s been asked before and I have looked through old threads but what would you recommend?

I’m after a steel hardtail frame which will be run with a 120mm or 130mm fork.
    It will be used for general XC, occassional trail centres, an off-road C2C and riding in the Dales, NYM’s etc.

I’d like a green frame ideally (I’ll use the bike at events to display Gloworm lights – green logo).

My current favourite options are a Cotic Soul or a Ragley Piglet but I’m open to all suggestions.

Kryton57

Kinesis Decade Versa – good shade of green.

martinhutch

Sanderson Breath in British Racing Green?

djflexure

I’ve always had a soft spot for these El Mariachi.

Got one of these and its very nice, so light for steel Enigma.

I run 100mm fork, guess it would do 120.

jasonm945
    Free Member

Pipedream Sirius comes in a fetching green and is 853 to boot…

neninja
    Free Member

Thanks – off to look at all those suggestions

rewski
    Free Member

Dialled Prince Albert would be perfect. Should be available in 29er soon.

Northwind

I’d say Soul but I’m a fanboy.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Cove Handjob – £270 – £300 @ CRC
    No green option though…

kayak23

Dialled Prince Albert, does everything, and its green in some cases.

neninja
    Free Member

Thanks all – I’m not gifted in the height dept so will be sticking with 26″.

Dialled Prince Albert looks good.

mrblobby
    Free Member

neninja, just out of interest, why steel and not say, carbon or aluminium?

I’d probably go aluminium and have a serious look at the new Chameleon, but then I like stiff aluminium hardtails 🙂

Edit: … and I think SC do a lovely green too!

Double edit: Boo, only blue and yellow. What happened to the old SC who did massive ranges of colours?

neninja
    Free Member

I mainly want a steel frame for it’s comfort and because I love the look of steel tube frames.
    I’ve got a couple of C2C’s planned for later in the year and reckon that after 2 or 3 100km days on an aluminium frame I’ll be ruined.

This is getting harder by the minute, the list is now –
    Cotic Soul
    Ragley Piglet
    Pipedream Sirius 853
    Dialled Prince Albert
    Cove Handjob (if I can find somewhere with a green small frame in stock)
    Kinesis Decade Versa

I think I’m leaning towards the Sirius or the Soul at the moment but to honest my head is spinning with all the choices.

chiefgrooveguru

The Soul is almost impossible to better for what it is – only downsides are the price is on the higher side (and they’re getting rather popular if you prefer to be niche). The new one also fits tapered and 1 1/8 forks and all the types of dropper post, which makes it unusually future proof for a steel hardtail.

matt_outandabout

Sanderson Breath in British Racing Green?

Mine is 120mm Fox’s and is ace….
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/matt_outandabout/sets/72157629292490795/with/6856995715/

Where did the singletrack go? by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Scapegoat

If you ever make it down to West Yorks and want a test ride, give me a shout….. two Souls to choose from. 8)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Fair enough. Just get the Soul (or maybe the Solairs.) I took one around winlatter a couple of years ago and loved it. Cracking bike.

nickc

I mainly want a steel frame for it’s comfort….and after 2 or 3 100km days on an aluminium frame I’ll be ruined.

You do know this is marketing bullshit don’t you?

Apart from that anyone of those bikes on your list will be fine The PA is a heffer though.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Owned a couple of steel bikes, Cove Handjob and more recently a Whyte 19 steel. Both superb, ran the cove with 120mm rebas from Merin Cycles. I think that any of the bikes you have mentioned are great, so it’s probably going to be down to price/ availability.

kayak23

nickc – Member
    I mainly want a steel frame for it’s comfort….and after 2 or 3 100km days on an aluminium frame I’ll be ruined.

All I can say is that I used to have several aluminum frames, Tomac Omen, Norco Bigfoot, Identiti Dr Jekyll, and then one day I had a go on a steel charge Blender. I could tell the difference in ‘feel’ right away and loved it. Not had an ally frame since. All personal preference really but I’m convinced that they do actually feel different. Did to me anyway.

Inbred456
    Free Member

They are still selling Saracen Kili Flyer frames in white and aqua. 853 tubing fillet brazed hand made lovelyness with geometry for 120 forks. I think these frames will hold their value because they are switching over to 650b.

mrblobby
    Free Member

There is a degree of this. I’ve ridden steel hardtails that are harsh, and alu hardtails that are fairly springy. Suspect it’s as much down to frame design as material.

My current preference is for quite a stiff alu hardtail for general XC riding. It’s nice and light and feels very direct. If I was doing all day riding over several days then I’d probably use a short travel FS. Don’t think I’d get much use out of something in the middle.

Having said that, get the Soul 🙂

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Prince Albert in green 15.5 is one of my favourite bikes I’ve ever had.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

The Soul in the new green looks the business, don’t you think?

Or what about if you can pick up a glow in the dark 456…? 8)

tacopowell
    Free Member

Prince Albert, an amazing frame that I’ve recently purchased, my first steel hardtail and I’m absolutely loving it!
    For the price you can’t go wrong! Would highly reccommend!

rob2
    Free Member

depends on what fits best and budget I guess.

If you can afford a soul I’d get one as they will take tapered forks and a dropper post in the future.

If not I’d get a PA 853 – excellent frames.

I’ve got a soul and a PA with different set ups.

I’m nr Reading/Oxford if you want to try them out (16″ and 15.5″ ones).

marsdenman
    Free Member

another thought – find, I guess, any of the above, new or 2nd hand and get it sprayed the colour you want?

another thought Pt2 – how are you planning on promoting the lights with the frame – just looked up the Gloworm site and the logo is, indeed, bright green – would a contrasting colour frame not make stickers etc stand out more (if that what you’re planning to do?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Prince Alberts are stiff and heavy. Not very forgiving. I had one for a while and didn’t like it one bit.

On the other hand, I had a Kinesis Malight XC120 and it was the polar opposite, superb comfortable and forgiving ride, probably one of the best bikes I ever had.

I now only ride a 150mm full sus a fun wee stiff hardtail for short rides.

mboy
    Free Member

There is a degree of this. I’ve ridden steel hardtails that are harsh, and alu hardtails that are fairly springy. Suspect it’s as much down to frame design as material.

Prince Alberts are stiff and heavy. Not very forgiving. I had one for a while and didn’t like it one bit.

On the other hand, I had a Kinesis Malight XC120 and it was the polar opposite, superb comfortable and forgiving ride, probably one of the best bikes I ever had.

Listen to these guys, refreshing that some people on here actually know what they’re talking about!

It’s as much, if not more down to frame design than material used, whether or not a frame is stiff or “forgiving”. You can make a stiff and unforgiving frame out of titanium, and a very forgiving one out of Carbon or ally if you know what you’re doing! I’ve ridden a number of stiff and unforgiving steel frames (Cotic BFe, Dialled Bikes PA, a number of Dirt Jump style bikes) and I’ve ridden a few very forgiving ally frames. OK, all things being equal, a steel framed bike will be a bit more forgiving and resilient than a similar ally frame, but often not all things are equal, remember that.

All the above said, I still really like steel as a frame material when it’s done properly. The Cotic Soul is one example that makes the most out of the material, another is/was the Genesis Altitude/Latitude.

neninja
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

Yes I know it can be marketing BS but a well designed steel frame will be more forgiving than an equivalent alu frame.

Kryton57

If its comfort you want go for Kinesis. Mine is more comfortable than my genesis. Don’t see too many around either.

catvet
    Free Member

Neninja
    Got a 16 ” Cotic soul for sale £80 plus post packing and pay pal fees if use PP.
    Its in pink, but you can get a fab quality respray any colour you want from someone like http://www.wilkinsonspowdercoating.co.uk
    (I have used this company and powder coating is excellent)
    At that price you can see if you like the Soul without taking a £499 hit
    Also got some Mavic 317 black on Hope XC red hubs QR only similar price
    phwill77at gmail dot com

docrobster
    Free Member

I don’t find my 853 PA to be harsh or heavy, but then I came from a 456SS which probably is.
    Weight is a whole half pound more than a soul. Comes in at 26-27lb with revs 1×9 arch ex on Superstar hubs.

br
    Free Member

456Ti – the lights will glow better against the ‘bare’ frame, and it’ll ride better than any steel frame (probably) 🙂

neninja
    Free Member

catvet – thanks for the offer – I’ll have a think

I’m now wondering if I should reconsider a 29er and look at the Solaris – indecisive me, surely not, well maybe ………..

neninja
    Free Member

El Mariachi back in the mix now too – I think I’m losing my sanity

neninja
    Free Member

I think I’ve found a new titanium frame designed for a 120-130 fork now for steel money so I’m going to give that a try.

Grumpyagain
    Free Member

Just get a Soul you won’t regret it

mrblobby
    Free Member

What’s the Ti frame? If I was buying now, this very second, I’d go for a green Solaris… though ask me in 5 mins and you may get a different answer.

neninja
    Free Member

I had pretty much decided on a green Solaris but the small frame is sold out until the Summer.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘What steel hardtail frame for 120-130mm fork?’ is closed to new replies.