Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 190 total)
  • What speakers do you have?
  • Focal Aria 906’s

Like these

Just to add something different to the mix, I’ve got some Elipson Planet L speakers. Basically bowling balls on a stick but sound gorgeous and get house friendly style points too

(that’s not me by the way!)

Edukator

Some nice kit on here. Lots of tech and yet the original recordings (of say guitars) were often done with a Shure SM58 a few cms from the cone of a 12″ Celestion which costs about 130e. I use Creambacks and Vintage 30s in open and closed back cabs and they are prety crude things. Seems odd to use so much technology to accurately reproduce something so industrial.

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

But that’s to produce the required effect. To reproduce accurately that recorded sound requires a neutral system.

Edukator

That I appreciate, just bear in mind you’re reproducing a recording that had already been coloured before it got onto the CD.

onlysteel

Nice real world set up Oink. Ran the same amplification with CDX and Sondek as sources, thru ES14’s. Really nicely balanced, and I think I’m correct in saying Epos developed their early models with Naim amplification so one would expect the synergy to be good.

Premier Icon Speeder
    Subscriber

Kef Q35s I bought about 25 years ago – still going strong – can’t comment on any of their audiophile qualities though as they hardly ever get used just for music any more. Still they look quite nice – when I take the covers off (not that I’d dare with my destructive 4 y/o daughter around)

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

That I appreciate, just bear in mind you’re reproducing a recording that had already been coloured before it got onto the CD.

OK but also bear in mind that you want your hi-fi to accurately reproduce more than just a cranked guitar sound. What about vocals, acoustic guitar? What if like me you listen to classical as well as old 70s rock? If you want to hear what the artist, producer and engineer put on the master you need an accurate system.

BUT… the best speakers I ever heard for rock were Klipschorns, because basically they are built like PA speakers. I couldn’t have coped with them for small scale choral work though, Quad ESL63s work best for that. Those ATC SCM50s mentioned back up there are the best all rounders I’ve heard.

Premier Icon oink1
    Subscriber

onlysteel – Member
    Nice real world set up Oink. Ran the same amplification with CDX and Sondek as sources, thru ES14’s. Really nicely balanced, and I think I’m correct in saying Epos developed their early models with Naim amplification so one would expect the synergy to be good.

Yes – I believe they were developed with Naim amplification in mind. I would describe my system as “neutral’ and have been very happy with it since the mid ’90’s when I took all the gear I had at the time into my local Radford HiFi, part x’ed it all and splurged on my ideal system!! YOLO and you can’t take it with you etc. Im just dreading the day I have to get the 250 re-capped! 😯

mrmoofo

B&W PM1s …
    Great sounding small speakers ….
    The biggies are no longer needed ….

onlysteel

Oink – had my late eighties 250 and Hicap returned for service by Naim after around 20 years of faithful service. Well worth doing, IMHO. 72 was replaced with an 82 shortly before.

Edukator

You make some good points, Slowoldman. Vocals generally get sung through an SM 58 and a PA with a bit of EQ, chorus and reverb. Some singers use their own effects boxees. The PA units have a tweeter/horn and are closed back so much easier to reproduce with “hi-fi” speakers than the overdriven guitar which often uses an open back design.

I reckon hi-fis do small accoustic instruments and voice pretty well, where they fall down is in the reproduction of sounds made by big instruments or speakers with no damping. You can’t make a small closed back driver sound like a big driver in an open cab. It takes the edge and aggression off the sound.

I use a modelling guitar amp with which you can select a speaker emulation to simulate Creamback, Greenback, Vintage 30, Alnico blue or whatever. It’s not bad until you compare with a real Creamback and the treble rings in your ears.

Markie

I have just inherited via a friend of my mom’s a pair of quad esl 63s and a pair of quad 57s. Am looking forward to getting them set up.

Eltax Liberty 5+ floor standers, bought in about ’99 along with the Yamaha ‘natural sound’ amp they’re wired to. A budget set up which I didn’t imagine I’d still have so many years later!

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

I have just inherited via a friend of my mom’s a pair of quad esl 63s and a pair of quad 57s. Am looking forward to getting them set up.

Blooming’ ‘eck. Well done.

markwsf

What a pile of old hat failed technology cr@p.

Tell you what, I’ll take them off your hands and not even charge for pickup – or, doing you a huge favour swap for a pair of Wharfdale Diamonds.

<wink>

Markie

Welp, picked up the stuff today and all good with a slight misunderstanding on my part. It’s a pair of 63s and a single 57. The owner was into early music and had a collection of hundreds of 78s, all mono, and that’s what he listened to them on!

KEF Q Series something or others – floor jobs up front and a centre/stand mount rears… the sub expired so needs replacing at some stage. Sound ace and fill the room though, and haven’t really missed the sub so may just leave it.

In t’other room there is a pair of KRK Studio Monitors… may add a sub to them at some stage if my mixes need more bass response when recording starts up… but for the moment they are absolutely fantastic!

aphex_2k

So I’m done with the Cerwins. They’re great “party” speakers but they lack clarity and poise and I regret selling the Tannoy 633

Looking at KEF Q500 vs Pioneer FS SP52 or similar floorstanders. Wharfedale Diamond around the same price too.

Mr Woppit

Bought my ProAc D15’s with me to Spain but I’ve now got a smaller listening space and there’s not enough air for them perform.

Going to audition some suitable replacements at the “local” dealer in Malaga.

Spendor or Dynavector. Looking for small ported boxes on stands…

aphex_2k

^^^ Those are pretty!!!

So tempted with these..

Premier Icon pedalhead
    Subscriber

Audio Physic Tempo 25. Absolutely love ’em.

thecaptain

We used to have a pair of wilmslow audio prestige speakers which were absolutely fantastic but didn’t come with us through house moves. Don’t listen to a whole lot of music these days, much more internet radio, and a smaller set of stand speakers is fine.

Premier Icon csb
    Subscriber

Wilmslow audio! Blast from the past, used to love pouring over their speaker kit brochures. Exploded a pair of massive ones at a party we threw.

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

Interesting to see Ruark getting mentions, I’m getting reacquainted with a pair of Icons I have to a pal – I designed them 🙂

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

Some 1960s Kolster Brandes KS651s.

They look and sound…. pleasant.

Premier Icon nevisthecat
    Subscriber

Spendor S3/5Se

to a Naim Nait 5e and Linn LP12.

Basically a Rogers Ls3/5A – tight and renders vocals better than anything other than Harberths.

not much bass but then they’re in the cottage part of the house which has low ceilings and smaller rooms (I live in an old farmhouse which has a later 19th C part). So, bass is not an issue unlike the Linns they replaced – too boomy for the hobbit hole.

I got them for £300 off EBay, from Austria.

Premier Icon nevisthecat
    Subscriber

Anyhow, get a decent converter or streamer and run Qobuz 28 bit – the difference in quality is amazing.

Mission 704a run off an Arcam AVR300 in bi-amp mode and a Marantz CD52. Not subtle but it really kicks and was a cheap set up, certainly in hi-fi terms.

Speakers were new 15 years ago. CD player and amp were second hand. Under £400 all in with cables.

Other rig is Tannoy m3, Marantz 2226b, Philips CD104, Dual 505-2. Beautiful, just beautiful. I’m sure some higher end speakers would improve it though.

Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

We Accoustics floor standers in the living room. Great sound and really effortless, but unfortunately bought just after my deaf neighbour moved out.

The kitchen tunes are served by a pair of B&W DM602s that have been demoted from living room duties upon arrival of the floorstandibg Q Accoustics.

Kitchen sound system is as far away from the party wall and my nieghbour and so often gets abused more.

Kef Reference 104/2s.

Got them free about ten years ago but they’re from the late 80s. In a Rotel Pre/Power system with two power amps running in mono.

Sound great.

A few years ago I set up a couple of paires of modern speakers alongside the Kefs and I thought they sounded better, initially.

When we switched back to the Kefs there was no comparison.

My mate said ” Those other speakers sound like a very good recording is being played but with the Kefs it seems like the band is actually in the room.”

Bought these a few weeks ago. Lovely.

quad esl57. utterly divine.

aphex_2k

Soooooo

Got rid of the Cerwin e710’s. Just too full on. Harsh highs and overpowering bass. Great party music speakers but not good at all for tv/movies.

So I ended up with some Wharfedale Diamond 9.5. Was looking at a new set for $700 and nearly got them, then found a local woman selling her elderly Dad’s AVR and speakers. Ended up with a set of Diamond 9.5, a 10″ Tannoy sub, a Jamo centre and a Yamaha RV-x620 amp for $600! All pristine condition. The Wharefedale’s, not a mark on them and doubtful if any real volume has been put through them. Kevlar drivers too. Mmmm

Kept my existing amp in place, new speakers on that. New Yammy amp in the kitchen hooked up to some smaller Cerwin XLS-6 bookshelf speakers. Perfect for bit of reggae this arvo (http://rtrfm.com.au/ on the for next hour and a half if anyone’s interested).

Oh, and got given a Sony bluray player for nowt which has wifi, usb and plays SACDs too.

TurnerGuy

Basically LS/35as, but in thin wall cabinets from Stirling Broadcast, which mimic the original cabinets the prototypes versions used and are suppossed to be more of a ‘lossy’ cabinet.

Using external crossovers from a company called Cicable, one of the founding members being Derek Hughes who used to run Spendor and whose dad started it.

The combination of those two things makes a huge difference to that speaker with much lower THD – much more like a grade 1 broadcast speaker sans the bass.

And used in combinaton with Stirling Broadcast AB-2 bass extenders.

Driven by mono-block Quad 909s and a Tact 2.2x pre-amp, with a Music First TVC pre-amp in between just acting as a buffer, as it seems to matchthe pre and power amps together much better for some reason.

Mr Woppit

Just put up the audio baffles and restacked/cable tidied…

jambourgie

Premier Icon dannybgoode
    Subscriber

None currently (well a beat up pair of TDL RTL R40’s but they don’t really count as they’re not hooked to anything).

I did have a pair of Rega RS5’s most recently at they were brilliant.

Do all my listening on headphones at the moment and have the very lovely if excruciatingly expensive Hifiman HE1000K MK2.

Detail wise unlike anything I’ve ever heard…

aphex_2k

Mr Woppit, are those specifically left and right speakers? I’d have them the other way round so the curved part of the grilles are by the walls.

Mr Woppit

aphex_2k – Member
    Mr Woppit, are those specifically left and right speakers? I’d have them the other way round so the curved part of the grilles are by the walls.

Without grilles…

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 190 total)

The topic ‘What speakers do you have?’ is closed to new replies.