Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What spanner set?
  • BlindMelon
    Free Member

I need to get a set of spanners. I don’t want to spend much – what would you recommend?

wwaswas

Halfords do some reasonable kit at various price points – often have bargains online too.

zilog6128

Halfords is usually my stock answer for decent tools that don’t cost a bomb, their Advanced range have lifetime guarantees and as wwaswas says there’s usually an offer on.

parkesie
    Free Member

What sort of application? As in what soze are your nuts ,)

BlindMelon
    Free Member

That’s a bite personal parksie! 8-20mm should do the job

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, I use Halfords mostly in the shop – still on the same set of Professional spanners after 15 years.

alanf
    Free Member

As a slight hijack, any recommendations for a torque wrench (3/8″ drive) with a low torque range that’s not going to break the bank?

Northwind

Halfords Advanced are almost always a good answer. I like my Teng ones more than my Halfords ones, they were a little more expensive but I really like the grippy, unsmooth surface… Polished tools clean up easily but they’re much easier to drop especially when covered in goop or your fingers are frozen

Sum
    Free Member

Draper do a 3/8″ Square Drive that covers 10-80Nm and comes with a calibration certificate. I bought mine from the local motor factors for ~£26 but I’ve seen them online from ~£22.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Open ended or combination?

parkesie
    Free Member

Halfords advanced and maybe splash out on the ratchet spanner set when its on offer.

bencooper
    Free Member

Open ended or combination?

Combo, definitely – you want to use ring spanners as much as possible, only using the open-ended when you have to.

LoCo
    Free Member

Halfords expert/advanced,
    Teng,
    Facom
    or Snap on. Listed in cost order ish.

Stoner
    Free Member

I treated myself to a set of the Halfords Advanced ratchet ring set the other day – on “special” at £40 IIRC.

Lovely bits of kit, but they have quite fat profiles – even on the open jaw ends. But I also have another lower grade set with lower profile for tight spaces.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What spanner set?’ is closed to new replies.