Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • What sort of person dreams of becoming an Olympic walker?
  • the-muffin-man

Walking fast – you don’t grow up as a child thinking ‘ooh I really, really wish I could walk fast’.

Marathon – nope not for me.
    10k – nope.
    5k – nope.
    Walking fast – yep that’s the sport for me!! It’s so awesome.

Does it attract people who are always late for a train but don’t want to break into a run?

Are there talent spotters in shopping centres?

Spin
    Free Member

It is indeed a bizarre thing. Most of the sports at the Olympics have some sort of grass roots participation. There are athletics,cycling,sailing etc clubs all over the place with regular events but I’ve never heard of speed walking clubs or events outside the big meets. Maybe I’m just moving in the wrong circles?

gobuchul
    Free Member

I’ve never heard of speed walking clubs or events outside the big meets.

http://www.racewalkuk.com/Home.asp

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Someone who has experienced a bad dose of the trots a long way from a toilet?

Spin
    Free Member

The Google fu is strong with this one…

I didn’t say there weren’t any but that I hadn’t heard of one which suggests a pretty low profile sport.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

It is a strange one. I mean, if you want to get somewhere quickly on foot, you run.

I guess it’s no different from some of the rubbish swimming strokes in that respect though – why butterfly when front crawl is better in every measurable way?

decky
    Free Member

Malcolm in the Middle ,did a classic episode about speed walking, where they were wearing skin suits and aero helmets :-)which sums it all up nicely.

slowoldman

I can think some more rubbish olympic sports.

ac282

Name one

Spin
    Free Member

Name one

Dressage obviously.

zippykona

That Malcom in the Middle episode made me nearly wet myself.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It’s kids that were bullied at school, isn’t it?

If they saw the bully in the school playground they would try to walk away as fast as possible without drawing attention to themselves, which running would have done.

Then, later, they discover they can walk faster than anyone else – so they decide to either take up the sport and compete, or buy trousers that are a bit short in the leg and get a job in IT.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’d imagine race-walkers are the equivalent of opticians in the thoroughly scientific and wholly factual “failure to become a GP hierarchy” where GP = the cooler than cool 100m sprinters:

GP
    Dentist
    Pharmacist
    Vet
    Optician

Not sure where Podiatrists fit into this.

phil40
    Free Member

Harder to get into vet college than medical school!……just saying! 😀

Spin
    Free Member

“failure to become a GP hierarchy”

I knew a careers adviser at a private school who was constantly having to deal with pupils who wanted to be doctors (often because that’s what their parents were) but weren’t bright enough. Her stock phrase was’have you considered a different branch of the caring professions?’

thecaptain
    Free Member

TBH they look like a lot of the middle markers towards the end of a typical mass participation marathon. Though they are going a bit quicker. My wife jokes that I hardly get both feet off the ground when running, I wonder if I shoud give it a go as I’m about their speed.

slowoldman

Dressage obviously.

No not dressage. Probably golf or football. Definitely synchronised swimming.

vickypea
    Free Member

It looks so unnatural, uncomfortable and well, bonkers frankly

RobHilton
    Free Member

careers adviser

And there I was mocking opticians… :mrgreen:

Rubber_Buccaneer

We had to do walking races at school along with all the other field and track events. I guess if you were good at it you’d maybe pursue it further

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Guy i worked with a few years ago got as far as trials for the commonwealth games. He took it up after he half crippled himself running marathons.

Then he got a new injury and half crippled himself again.

Now he’s knees are shot and his hips have gone. So he took up cycling.

jamj1974

Now he’s knees are shot and his hips have gone. So he took up cycling

Once he’s too physically wrecked for that – he can always come here and just talk about it! 🙂

ninfan
    Free Member

I reckon the sport just needs the nifty addition of trekking poles in order to explode in popularity in the UK!

BillOddie

I had a boss who is a 4 time US Race Walking Champ and represented the US at the Beijing Olympics.

Top chap and completely normal. But then I didn’t know about the walking thing until after he was my boss.

BillMC

No good if your nose is running.

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve done a few audax events run out of the HQ of the Leicester race walking club – it’s shared with a cycling club.

Lots of old newspaper clippings framed on the walls of past club triumphs. From the haircuts, mostly mid 1960s-1970s.

The walkers no doubt think riding a bike is odd.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Name one

golf.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘What sort of person dreams of becoming an Olympic walker?’ is closed to new replies.