Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • what software to access my home computer from outside?
  • clubber
    Free Member

i’m after some recommendations for software to allow me to access my home pc from work, etc. I need to be able to access my files but also the internet connection from home as gmail is blocked at work.

Thanks

RudeBoy
    Free Member

You’ll need some sort of Remote Desktop software, I think RealVNC is one to try. I use Apple Remote Desktop on my Macs, which works really well. You do need a fast, stable connection though, and it will be slower than using the computer normally.

Alternatively, if you just need to access files, rather than needing to control the remote machine,why not upload them to a file server?

stuckinarut
    Free Member

We use LogMeIn at work. Seems to do the trick.

markenduro
    Free Member

Get a 3g phone and set up gmail on that and a portable hd for your files, better than dicking about with software options.

footflaps

2nd the 3G phone option, real waste of energy keeping a PC on at home just to remote your mail.

andywhit
    Free Member

I’ve installed http://www.tightvnc.com/ on my parents PC so I can take it over remotely if (when!) they screw something up or need some help.

thomthumb
    Free Member

isn’t it standard in windows?

takisawa2

Our IT guy can take-over our work PC’s from home. Quite odd watching the thing being used without anyone sat at the desk. He doesn’t use a program, just Windows XP.

uplink
    Free Member

uVNC is good & free

coffeeking
    Free Member

RealVNC will do the trick, though you will need to open the relevant ports and check your work (if you’re accessing a work PC) allows outside access, or re-config your router if its your home one. I regularly use VNC to work on the lab computers from the office, the office computer from home, spy on the landlord inspecting the property from work with my webcam etc

clubber
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I already have and use a 3g phone (I started this thread with it!) but even with the gmail app, it’s not practical for writing proper emails or even just adding attachments, web links, etc.

Is there anything that allows you to run in background on the home pc rather than just controlling the desktop – the home computer is a media computer (ie it’s our tv too) so I wouldn’t be able to do much with it if my wife’s home watching ‘Finding Nemo’ with our son 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

I’d be very, very careful. Have a read of your companies IT policy. If you’re found to deliberately circumventing it they could have you out of the door faster than you can type CTRL-ALT-DEL.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I’m not sure you could connect (via the work internet) to your home PC with the purpose of using your homes PC internet connection to get you into gMail or the likes. The works firewall would stamp all over allowing that content to be shipped back into your office.

andyfla
    Free Member

use Logmein free – it is excellent and you don’t need to go knocking holes in your firewall.

I use it from work behind a firewall no problem

If you want any more my email is in my profile

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ve yet to work in a place where I couldnt connect to my home PC from the office, if the connection is established from inside the business to outside. Using it at the same time as the PC being a media server, seems like an odd requirement – what are you using it for? Making the home PC a linux machine would make that easy, the problem with windows is that as far as I know you can only have one instance of windows running and VNC accesses that. With Linux you could simply fire up another desktop and log in again, there may be windows apps that allow this but I know of none.

coffeeking
    Free Member

andyfla – you still need to have holes in your firewall for logmein, its just done automatically?

brant
    Free Member

gotomypc is bloody awesome.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘what software to access my home computer from outside?’ is closed to new replies.