Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What software do you recommend ??
  • matty456
    Free Member

I want to copy my dvd collection to the hard drive on my pc and sell my dvd’s to make space for other shelf like objects (Mrs talking). Also what happens to the quality if I want to watch a dvd on my tv via a laptop or ipad? Can I copy it back to dvd with the same quality? I’m using windows xp.

Recommendations appreciated. Ta.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Legally, if you sell your DVDs you’d have to delete any copies you’d made.

iffoverload
    Free Member

book for the CDs and ditch the boxes?

or DVDfab is OK,

jota180
    Free Member

I hope you have a lot of time to play with

matty456
    Free Member

Does it take ages then?

acidchunks

I may have used DVDDecrypter to do something similar with rented movies…or I may not…

😉

matty456
    Free Member

Nice, what’s the final quality like with DVDDecrypter ?

PlopNofear
    Free Member

+1 DVDfab. Works fine, you may have to “aquire” a newer version to crack the piracy software they have on new dvds. It also does Blu-Rays but I don’t have a Blu-Ray drive in my pc.

Since dvds are dual layer, the extracted files will be more than 4.7gb. There is an option to extract just the film so the files are smaller.
    If you wanna burn it to a disc then you will have to compress it meaning lower quality, or use a dual layer disc and it will be exactly the same as the original copy.

Speed will depend on your processor mainly.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If it is just about shelf space then ditch the DVD packaging and store them in plastic sleeves, you’ll retain all the quality of the original (as it is the original), save yourself a mass of time, and not have to buy extra hard disk storage. Time and money saved.

matty456
    Free Member

Thanks for the input. I’ll try them out, Mrs Matty will be pleased!

samuri
    Free Member

It’d be way quicker to just torrent all the films off the internet than cut them with some DVD tool.

If you only torrent films you already own, is it piracy?

matty456
    Free Member

Don’t want to get into all that thanks.

Cletus

The CPU in your PC has a big bearing on how long it takes to rip a movie.

My seven year old desktop with Pentium and Windows XP takes 10+ hours to rip a DVD using Handbrake. My son’s quad core I5 laptop takes around 45 minutes.

Unless you are willing to rip at a lower quality than native DVD I would second muppetWrangler’s suggestion above as otherwise you would need a massive hard disk to store your films.

I have ripped quite a few films recently to put on an iPad for my daughter. Bonus is that I can also stream them from my NAS to our Sony DVD player.

Guide for Handbrake below:

http://www.howtogeek.com/102886/how-to-decrypt-dvds-with-hardbrake-so-you-can-rip-them/

matty456
    Free Member

Thanks cletus. Thats an eye opener. It looks like i might end up storing some on my hard drive and keeping my classics.

br
    Free Member

or cheapest way would probably to put up some more shelves…

acidchunks

Nice, what’s the final quality like with DVDDecrypter ?

Exactly the same as the DVD as it does no re-encoding whatsoever 😀

There should be some user guides online, be careful which track you rip as its quite easy to rip the disc extras by mistake.

CHB

The slysoft.com suite of products is brilliant.
    Its also regularly updated and really well supported. No hesitations in recommending from me.
    Handbrake for converting to device if needed.

JulianA
    Free Member

DVDDecrypter (free) to copy the film, as has been said above. Easy to get the director’s cut or foreign language version though – avoid this by enabling stream processing and deselecting everything but the video and appropriate audio. Fairly quick…

DVDVideoSoft’s Free Studio Manager (the clue’s in the name) to convert the ripped .VOB file to the format of your choice. Not fairly (or even slightly!) quick (but you can choose to download the toolbar to make it faster).

Apparently…

Legally perhaps a rather grey area – what if you only do this with DVDs that you’re keeping and want to be able to view them on a tablet – but strange that some DVDs now come with an MP4 of the film available for download or even (I think) on the DVD itself…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What software do you recommend ??’ is closed to new replies.