Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What smart thermostat and why?
  • geoffj

We are moving house in the next month and the new one doesn’t have a smart thermostat. We’ve currently got a Heatmiser, which works well, but the technology is now 7 years old, and things must have improved.

I hear Nest and Hive, but are there any others to thinks about? What about integration with things like Alexa and IFTT etc.

Whaddya think?

geoffj

Oh and compatible with a home automation setup would be a bonus

andybanks
    Free Member

Tado

Does all the usual smart heating stuff, plus it understands whether the house is empty or not and stops the schedule if it is. Has saved us 50% on gas so far.

Has full alexa, GHome and iftt support.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DT78
    Free Member

I have a nest very pleased with it so far (3 months) Have had limited success with Alexa so far but haven’t really given it a great deal of effort yet (Alexa is a week old experiment)

I think it isnt quite working yet. All I can do is ask the internal temp.

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Nest or Honeywell evohome.

Nest if you want a sleeker looking product.

Honeywell if at some point you might want to multizone as well

I have the Evohome fwiw and have intergrated it with Alexa. As for saving on gas bills I cant really say as I have a wife on maternity leave so I tend nt to look at the bill and just let the direct debit come out 🙂

oldnpastit

Make one from a Raspberry pi, relay board and temperature sensor.

geoffj

Thanks guys – keep it coming

woody74

Hive, not smart just internet connected. Nest keeps playing up and doing odd things, like coming on when it is specifically told not to. Not sure it has saved us any gas. Tado great but only if you have a stable internet connection. Went on holiday for a week. Wifi went down and Tado defaults to always on. So on solid for 7 days.

nickdavies

I like my nest, it’s definitely kept the house warmer in the winter this year, it’s probably used a similar amount to regular heating when it’s on as it seems to be on more often but keeps a better temp over the whole day than just freezing or baking like regular timed thermostats. Then when I’m away it knows and turns it off.

Been bugging me for about a week though since turning the hot water down to an hour in the morning and an hour at night it seems to be randomly firing and I couldn’t work out why. Eventually Google fu shows it’s anti legionnaires mode… if you don’t heat the water for 2 hours consecutively in 48 hours it does it for you. Clever stuff.. it’s now turned off!

Integrates well with other automation, Alexa seems to better with hive though, but I don’t have an Alexa.

Edit: woody when it fires randomly check the screen, I was getting annoyed with it but if it has a little yellow drop it’s as above, anti legionnaires mode.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just looking at that Tado stuff now as it goes. Neat you can rent it. Tempted to try it for £1.60 a week.

Well, maybe when the cold weather comes back.

cranberry
    Free Member

Tado – it is fit and forget, it just gets on with keeping the house at the right temp when you are at home.

My mum has the 1st gen system, I have individual radiator valves waiting to be fitted in the summer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What smart thermostat and why?’ is closed to new replies.