Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What small Van?
  • stupot
    Free Member

Thinking of swapping my car for a small van, thinking of something about the size of vauxhll combo, for about 1500 any suggestions? Woudl prefer folding rear seats, but with enough space for a bike if poss

Also are there any issues with insurance, someone told me its more expensive?

Jimbo
    Free Member

Vans have the potential to be more expensive as the insurance companies often assume that it’s used for business purposes. Also, van break-ins are a common (and expensive) claim, hence the premiums get loaded for that too.

If you want small van + rear seats, Berlingo Multispace a possibility? A car in all but outline, you’d probably pay naff-all insurance (hardly a boy-racer wagon) and have something vaugely useful for when not lugging bikes.

dave_aber
    Free Member

Commercial vehicle for non-commercial use = lots of phone calls to get insured.

Happily, it can mean a reasonably low premium though. (No idea why) I just managed to insure a Hilux 2.5TD Pickup for £450 fully comp for my son (17, Just passed his test), with me on the same policy. Other quotes were coming in around the £3500 mark.

Drac

Commercial vehicle for non-commercial use = lots of phone calls to get insured.

Yeah I rang one and they said, “Yeah no worries” cost me £200 for the year fully comp.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

pug partner here – tis pretty good. 2 bikes complete with ease plus kit

lammy
    Free Member

I’ve just robbed a Citroen Dispach from work for the weekend, and I have to say I’m quite impressed. Loads of room in the back, 2 x sliding doors, 3 seats upfront and a nice “car” like drive. If I was going to buy one though, I would go for the turbo D or HDi as the normally aspirated 1.9d is pretty flat and noisy

alpin
    Free Member

dave_aber….. your son is freaking lucky!

p.s. is the aber in your name ‘but’?

dave_aber
    Free Member

I know he is. Sometimes need to remind him of that fact.

p.s. No.

alpin
    Free Member

ok. prob should have explained myself.

aber in german means but. that is all

Slacks
    Free Member

Arn’t some small vans not defined as “Car Derived Vans” and therefore subject to slower speed limits?

Citroen Dispach for example.

sherry
    Free Member

Have a look at Direct Line or Adrian Flux for private van insurance, they gave me a really quote for personal none work related use. Tax was cheaper than my car and the actual insurance was only a little more expensive, I put that down to bigger engine 1.6I (petrol) car, 2.2CDI van!

stupot
    Free Member

Nice one, thanks all.
    Sounds like if I ring around I should be alright. Need to give direct line a bell anyway as they are my current insureer.

Oh and get the car sold…

dave_aber
    Free Member

Ahh, I see. It means “Mouth of a river” over (up) here. I’m not one of them either!!

Stupot – If you are still looking for insurance, remind me on Tuesday and I’ll look up which company I am with on the Hilux (when I’m home)

Drac

Arn’t some small vans not defined as “Car Derived Vans” and therefore subject to slower speed limits?

Citroen Dispach for example.

Your mixed up the car derived ones come under the seem speeds as cars.

Sounds like if I ring around I should be alright. Need to give direct line a bell anyway as they are my current insureer.

Apparently there’s a place called the internet that lets you check and you get bigger discount.

steveh

Insurance wise try national farmers union and commercial vehicle direct both have been good for me and have no problems with private van policies.

Vehicle wise a combo is a pretty good choice, 1.3 diesel engines are efficient (my mate gets about 47mpg from his) and plenty of them around. If you can live with just 2 seats then ex post office red ones are from about £2k with 50k miles on them for an 05 plate which is a good deal. They do a rear seat version of the combo too but it’ll be older/higher mileage by quite a long way.

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

I was in the same situation last year, i bought a Kangoo, 1.9D with 106k on a W for £1450.

Mine has the 60/40 rear doors, Thule roof bars, 2 sliding doors and a bench seat in the back. This folds flat or fully up to make a half bulk head.

I can use it for two as a small camper sleeping in the bck no bother or can fit four mates and four bikes plus camping gear if we use a tent.

I found insurance no bother at all, little more than my 2L Mondeo at £340 fully comp.
    Its the best thing i ever did, it promotes steady driving and i get about 470 miles out of a tank.

The one peice of advice i’d tell you, do get at least one sliding door.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What small Van?’ is closed to new replies.