Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What small van can you fit a bike (or 2) in with both wheels on, and a dog?
  • jackal
    Free Member

As the title really.

Thinking of getting rid of my car and replacing it with a van (so would be used to travel to/from work in too), the van needs to be big enough to fit a couple of bikes in and a dog (thinking about fixing a crate/cage in the rear of it for him maybe) + biking kit and maybe supplies for the odd weekend away.

So what small van can fit all that in (without taking a wheel off the bike), eg. Caddy, Berlingo, Partner, Transit connect etc…? Or is it best to go for something like a transporter (bit expensive, maybe ‘too big’ and not as good on fuel??)

Any experiences/ideas welcomed, cheers 😀

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Peugeot Partner for me, my lad, 2 Bikes, and the obligatory Border Terrier!

pedalhead
    Free Member

A friend of mine has a Transit Connect & gets bikes in the back without taking wheels off. In fact, if I didn’t need more seats (for children), I’d be tempted by one myself.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Connect here (for work) and full bikes in no problem along with tons of other stuff. Possibly bikes diagonally in the SWB – dunno. Only downsides are-only 2 seats and dual carriage way speed limits. Average 45mpg for me. Seems reliable.

jackal
    Free Member

captaincarbon – Member
    Peugeot Partner for me, my lad, 2 Bikes, and the obligatory Border Terrier!

Is that with both wheels on the bikes? what engine you got, the 1.6hdi?

pedalhead – Member
    A friend of mine has a Transit Connect & gets bikes in the back without taking wheels off. In fact, if I didn’t need more seats (for children), I’d be tempted by one myself.

Ahh, cool, is that the swb or lwb one then?
    My old mans got a swb and it looks a little short in the back. I may have to try my bike in his then, if I can persuade him to take all the stuff out first of course 😀

pedalhead
    Free Member

His is a LWB I think. Tons of space in the back, seems really practical & he reckons it’s the best money he’s ever spent.

scud
    Free Member

I’ve a Citreon Berlingo van, you can get 2 bikes in without removing the front wheels, either diagonally or by putting the front wheels slightly between the gap between the front seats.

+ Pretty good mpg, comfy,i’ve had 6 bikes with the wheels off for the drive to the Alps, 4 cup holders! Plus front passenger seat folds flat against the dash giving you a lot more space lengthways.

– i’ve got the 1.9 non turbo, which is pretty gutless, i’d get the 2.0 turbo version if i bought again.

skiprat
    Free Member

Used to have a SWB Connect from work and we got 5 bike in the back and a couple of bags too. Had to take wheels off one but others were full bikes. Only 2 seats tho. Did have the more car type one on holiday once, 5 seats and bikes easy in the ‘boot’. Did have to take the wheels off but with a seat down you’d be fine.

Found the Connect a bit sluggish to drive and had many problems with the ABS. Some parts were main dealer only and cost stupid pounds!!

Also, the front screen is bloody huge!! Great for catching pigeons with tho…

jackal
    Free Member

pedalhead – Member
    His is a LWB I think. Tons of space in the back, seems really practical & he reckons it’s the best money he’s ever spent.

LWB connect is looking promising then (if I can find a reasonably priced one of course). Are they all 1.8tdci? As I’m sure I’ve seen a few tddi’s? Are these non common rail?

Anyone got ny pics of a van loaded up, just wondering if there’d be enough rooom for a crate for the mutt as well in there..?

Thanks for the help all.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Mine’s a lwb 90ps which is adequate. I think there are 75ps tddi ones too but they would be sluggish.

I’ll see if I can get a photo later with a bike in. I’ve got a biggish cabinet in there for workstuff that takes up nearly half the width. I fit 2 bikes in the remaining space – easiest with one facing either way but there’s other ways too.

jackal
    Free Member

couldashouldawoulda – Member
    Mine’s a lwb 90ps which is adequate. I think there are 75ps tddi ones too but they would be sluggish.

I’ll see if I can get a photo later with a bike in. I’ve got a biggish cabinet in there for workstuff that takes up nearly half the width. I fit 2 bikes in the remaining space – easiest with one facing either way but there’s other ways too.

Cheers.

Rik
    Free Member

Long wheelbase Caddy owner here. Very happy with it and very modern car like feel to it. Good to drive despite being a solid rear axle. Plenty of room for two bikes and a he’ll of a lot of kit.

1.9l engine if you are doing lots of round town miles and want the best mpg.

We have the 2.0l which has a lot more poke (came from a 190bhp sports car and the van still impresses me), 6 speed so very happy in the motorway and good mpg on long runs.

gusamc
    Free Member

check insurance cost before buying a van

I use a Berlingo car, back seats are unboltable to take out(as a 1 on LHS and as a 2(middle and rhs) on the RHS), two bikes, diagonal, seats out/wheels in, no probs.

I currently have single seat out permanaently, two bikes, fronts out, down that side, all muddy stuff behind other rear seat, all clean stuff on rear seat and footwell, 50mpg (codger doing rural at speed limits) diesel, rolls (as in irritatingly) on corners and a bit slow on mways as it flies like a wide brick

jackal
    Free Member

gusamc – Member
    check insurance cost before buying a van

Just checked on a transit connect and transporter, neither add anything to the premium of my current car (2.2 diesel civic), thanks for the heads up though 😉

moonboy
    Free Member

I had a berlingo van 1.5d for a couple years. Registered as a private vehicle, insurance was about the same as a hot hatch – not too bad but more than I would have liked.

Could fit 2 bikes in with wheels on fine. Wheels off about 8!

Or a 7’6 minimal…

Was ace 🙂

Look at that sexy beast!!!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

As requested – Connect lwb with bike (and random mess):

reedspeed
    Free Member

Vw caddy here which is for sale btw !!,2007……

legend
    Free Member

For the record, 2 bikes + is also easy in a standard wheelbase Caddy

hilton83
    Free Member

Ive got a peugeot partner and i cant get my bike in with the wheels on! I even had to cut the bottom couple of inches of my seat post so i could drop it right down to get it in ive got a trek remedy, size 17.5″, i can get my wifes bike in with just the front wheel in, shes got a specialized myka, the sooner i get my pick up mot’d the better 😥

hammyuk
    Free Member

Odd – I can get 3 in my Partner. For sale though now due to change of job.

oxnop
    Free Member

We easily get 2 bikes plus camping gear and dog in the back of our Caddy.

We really only use it for bike duties but the Mrs prefers it to the Car (Mk GT TDI) due to driving position and how the power is delivered 1.9 PD TDI compared to the car.

Doesn’t have a DPF so no issues with short journeys if needed and we get 55 MPG (approx) which includes 50/50 shortish/longish trips.

jackal
    Free Member

Thanks for the pic couldashouldwoulda. Tried my bike in the back of my old mans swb connect last night, with the bars straight half the rear wheel sticks out the back of the van, looks a fair bit longer your lwb one does, didn’t think the difference would be that much.

Hopefully going to have a look at a lwb connect and a caddy this morning..

Thanks for the input all.

Anyone else got any more ideas?

singlecrack
    Free Member

I have a Berlingo 1.6 Hdi

Very happy with it 90 hp so goes ok …about 600 miles to a tank full

Tbh I can’t get my bikes in without taking the front wheels off (29ers though)

When I’ve gone on MTB trips I always take the front wheels of anyway as there is more room for kit in between the bikes.

jackal
    Free Member

Anyone get any specific things/problems to look out for when viewing a caddy or connect?

😀

Mackem

Opel Meriva. It’s a car but stick the seats down, it’s like a van.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve got a Vauxhall Combo 1.7 CDti and you can get two bikes in it, both wheels on, upright on one side (I bungee them upright) along with a LOT of other kit. Mine’s ply-lined, but if you got a non lined one it’d be even easier to get stuff in.

Because it’s smaller than a Connect it’s easier to use day-to-day and it’s fun to drive. It’s also pretty quick, even with 3/4 ton of gravel in the back. Mine does 50mpg quite easily and I’m not careful when I drive it (work pays for fuel).

I think they’re a bit bigger in the back than older Berlingo’s and definitely bigger than older Kangoos. However if you’re over 6′ you won’t be very comfy in it as the seat doesn’t go so far back. I’m 5’10 and it’s nice, but the seat’s at it’s limits on the rail.

amplebrew

How about a Citroen Dispatch?

We’ve just picked up a new shape and it drives well. We carry a dog cage with 2 dogs and found that Berlingo’s etc were too small with bikes in as well.. Especially if you want to get changed or sleep in the back as well.

We got a 1.6hdi and it has no problem cruising at legal speeds. It drives pretty much like Picasso, so is no hardship to drive on a daily basis. It’s just a perfect size to park as well, much easier than my work Transit or previous Transporter.

There are loads around on the used market and they can be pretty cheap even though they come with all the bells and whistles. Ours came with electric windows, heated folding mirrors, aircon, factory parking sensors and factory Bluetooth.

I’ll take a pic later on to show the size with a bike in.

trail_rat
    Free Member

a partner + 17.5″ remedy should be no bother

i can get a 20″ ragley TD1 in without lowering seat pin (which is well out as im 6 ft 3″) and a 19″ GF rig 29er with seat similarly high and a medium sand man fat bike in without lowering the seat also ! – all at the same time !

if i was buying again id get the next size up despite the lower speedlimits but i cope just fine.

amplebrew

Here are some pics of our Citroen Dispatch with my Kona Unit 29er in the back.

The Dispatch is the same van as the Peugeot Expert and Fiat Scudo, so you could look at them as well.

A bit of a bonus is that they have a sliding door on both sides.

IMG_0034 by Amplebrew, on Flickr

IMG_0037 by Amplebrew, on Flickr

IMG_0068 by Amplebrew, on Flickr

IMG_0064 by Amplebrew, on Flickr

IMG_0067 by Amplebrew, on Flickr

IMG_0065 by Amplebrew, on Flickr

kayak23

A Berlingo car is great. Lots of versatility that you just don’t get with a van.
    I’ve not taken any seats out of mine yet but I have had two adults, 2 kids and their bikes in it (big wheels off)

I usually fold the seats forward, take off just the front wheels of the bikes(takes about 5 seconds) and lie them upside down, alternating ends. The handlebars help to keep them steady on the road too.

If I fold the double seat down, I can have a couple of bikes in with the wheels on, probably more, again, alternating the ends.

Berlingos rock! Fact.

Not mine by the way… 😯

mysterymove
    Free Member

We’ve got a Caddy, loads of room for two, two bikes and a dog, even with half the back converted to a bed. Yes, it’s honestly big enough to sleep in, bikes go on the roof then tho ;o)

Drives like a car pretty economical – not cheap though but VW build quality…

Del

i run one of these:

expert/dispatch/scudo up to 2007.
    a bit of wind noise from the side doors mind, but i mitigate this by strapping the side doors together if i’m doing any motorway work. it’ll take a folding bed in the back quite happily and probably 6 or 8 fully built bikes if you wanted to go that way. 3 seats up front. taller and longer than a connect swb at least. dunno about fuel. i try not to count that but think it’s fairly good.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

That’s a handy looking bag on the right couldashouldwoulda, where do they come from?

I get two bikes and a tandem in the “old” Berlingo car, tandem front wheel off to allow attachment to a rack thing to support it upright, bikes all wheels on.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What small van can you fit a bike (or 2) in with both wheels on, and a dog?’ is closed to new replies.