Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What small tent for tall folk?
  • Premier Icon scruff9252
    Free Member

As per title really – decided I’m going to give bivvy a month another go this year.

Attempted a couple of years ago with a highlander blackthorn, but at 6’4″ I had a head squashed against fly one end / feet the other so gave up after a couple of months.

I would prefer a tent – got a trailstar copy but lack of bug net I find frustrating.

So, what’s the current favourite <2kg tent which can accommodate someone 192cm long and preferably around £150 (less is better, natch!)

Ta

Premier Icon tjagain

My trekkertent drift is eight foot long sleeping area and weighs under a kilo ( plus two trekking poles)
    It’s very low at the ends tho

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

It’s very low at the ends tho

That’s the issue over 6′ I find.

Premier Icon piemonster

Trekkertent Drift is also quite a bit over budget

Premier Icon thelawman
    Free Member

Might this work? (if you can find someone with remaining stock – it looks like they’re no longer manufactured)
    https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/all-tents/1-man-tents/helm-1-tent/

Premier Icon jimdubleyou

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Naturehike-Cloud-Up-Ultralight-Backpacking-Camping/dp/B07KPVL85V/

I’ve got one of these, you’d definitely fit in diagonally…

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Vango Scafell is heavier, but £85, steep foot end and you can push up against the door like most tunnels.

I’m buying one for this year as my old Alpkit Delta is dying.

Premier Icon scruff9252
    Free Member

Ill check out that vango scandal, thanks.

In the mean time, what’s folks view of the wild country zephyros 2?

Premier Icon scruff9252
    Free Member

Jim, that naturehike tent looks very similar to the alpkit soloist. I would have thought that opening the end door in the wet would result in a wet sleeping bag. Does this bear out in reality?

Premier Icon jimdubleyou

I have used it in a scottish downpour, it is a bit of a pain to get in and out of whilst trying to avoid midge incursion. But, the rain mostly stays out –  this inner tent is a bit less sloped than the soloist I think.

They do a lot of other designs that are rips offs of other companies so one of those might be worth it if you don’t fancy that one.

There’s a few reviews on you tube now too.

Premier Icon big_n_daft
    Free Member

Macpac Ultralight, but they are over budget

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

wild country zephyros 2?

Lol . What used to be a great company who stood behind their products who now make poor products and distance them selves radically from their products.

Wouldn’t touch with a barge pole.

Our Hoolie 2 poles were mostly duct tape and sleeves by the end of week 1 in Canada and that’s after they already charged me for a replacement set for the set that snapped

The crimp the pole spigots in and all the cracks propagate from there.

In comparison to vaude who after 3 years of ownership and general use and 6months of pitch and strike daily….shipped new poles to new Zealand for us to continue – and those were just wear and tear from alot of use……

Premier Icon ton
    Free Member

6 foot 4” here, and nearly as wide
    i use a alpkit ordos 2.
    it is light, cheapish, and very comfy.

Premier Icon db

The only 1 man tent I use these days is my Hilleberg Unna – in no way comes close to your price requirement but I have been through a lot of small tents over the years searching for the one.

I found it in the Unna. Basically free standing so pitching on beaches or hard ground is no issue. Fits my 196 height. Enough room to be comfortable and bullet proof build which has stood up to conditions no sane person should camp in.

Yes its about four times your budget and a little over 2kg but when nukes start flying in WW3 I will be pitching it in the garden and taking shelter as I’m confident it will be the only thing left standing.

Premier Icon jca
    Free Member

This may just about have enough headroom….

Premier Icon benp1

Zephyros 2 is too small. A 2 XL will be fine, I’m 6’3 and fit fine. Also fit in a Scarp 1 well

Premier Icon Oblongbob

Vaude power lizard is long for a 1 man ultralight single hoop tent. I got mins as I’m 6’3” and can fit in it reasonably comfortably, whereas TN laser and suchlike are too short.

Premier Icon scotroutes

There’s a few taller folk using Lunar Solos.

Premier Icon shermer75
    Free Member

Wild Country Zephyros 2 at £159

At 230cm long you are going to struggle to find anything longer that weighs this little! (1675 grams)

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/tents-shelters-c25/two-person-tents-c26/zephyros-2-tent-p6870

Premier Icon benp1

Beware of sloping sides. If you’re on a big mat with a big bag your feet will touch, mine often do on normal size tents

Premier Icon vontrippenhof
    Free Member

First time poster, but I’ve been a lurker long enough to know the rule is recommend what you’ve got, so: Decathalon Quickhiker II Ultralight.
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/quickhiker-ultralight-2-hiking-tent-2-man-grey-id_8245650.html
    I trust 50g over weight is acceptable as it is £41 under budget :).

I’ve had one since 2014, probably averaged 1 week living in it each summer + 4 or 5 weekends away a year, car camping, motorbike touring in Russia/Morocco and walking weekends in lake district + wales.

Pros? I’m 1m 95cm (bit over 6’4″ I think) tall and can lie flat. The tent has little wires in each corner which make the last bit of the walls vertical, so you get away from the flysheet-in-the-face. Inner/outer/pole are all stored together and it goes up fast. With discipline to how you fold it up, you can peg it out as you put it up making solo erection in wind easy. Big doors on each side can be left open for view/ventilation on nice nights. Low profile height/colour makes it fairly subtle for the type of trip that bivvying would be the other option. Comes with a splinting tube to repair a bent pole and a spare peg + guys (could leave the spares behind to get under your 2 kg if you are that desperate). If you do knacker it, spare inner/outer/pole are available individually and cheaply. Doors on the long sides mean you can roll/swing out of bed rather than extrude yourself like toothpaste. Not let the weather in for me yet.

Cons? Only 95 cm headroom, which is a bit of a faff when it’s being used by 2 people, but ok for solo trips. Not a geodesic design, so relies on pegs to hold it up. I know one day I’ll be caught out, but quality extruded alloy pegs have meant I’ve got away with it so far. Inner clipped to outer design makes splitting tent to share carrying duties (workaround is one person carries tent, the other the jet boil).

Premier Icon walla24
    Free Member

6’7 and love my tarptent double rainbow, very very light too.
    Has lasted me 7 years so far 🙂

Double Rainbow

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.