What slack low tough 140-160mm full-sus frame & forks for 140mm hardtail rider?

Home Forum Bike Forum What slack low tough 140-160mm full-sus frame & forks for 140mm hardtail rider?

Viewing 45 posts - 46 through 90 (of 93 total)
  • What slack low tough 140-160mm full-sus frame & forks for 140mm hardtail rider?
  • I liked the idea of short rear travel, longer front travel a la Hemlock but Cotic’s writing about the Rocket having the long travel but feeling more like a short travel bike has sucked me in… And thus I have ordered one, along with some Pikes and Flow EX hoops! 🙂

Premier Icon metalheart
    Subscriber

Excellent chioce, I’m sure you’ll not regret it :mrgreen:

What colour did you go for in the end, orange?

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

metalheart – Member
    More photos if you follow the link and click on ‘orange rocket set’

I have bought white grips and saddle but not fitted them yet, not sure if it’s overkill or not…
    Hope not. Once the new batch of frames come in mine will be orange with white forks, rims, saddle, pedals, chain device, and grips.

Premier Icon metalheart
    Subscriber

Hope not. Once the new batch of frames come in mine will be orange with white forks, rims, saddle, pedals, chain device, and grips.

what, don’t tell me you are going for black cables…. 😉

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Sadly, I’m still umming and arring over cables and hoses.

Might go for one each of green, blue and pink.

😯

Premier Icon metalheart
    Subscriber

you do know that white rims weigh more don’t you… ?

empy

Looking forward to seeing this in the flesh! Good call on the Pikes….

johnj2000

Here is mine with white seat and white grips, not so white now, more a shade of grey. Clicky thing

Two days of uplift (Antur & BPW) on the Soul was hard work! Not going to buy anything until 2014 but there’s no doubt that I need a full-sus. The Rocket is still in the mix but I’m wondering whether to go with a 27″ because there’s so little in it size-wise but the long-term parts (tyres!) situation could be better (for expensive tyres at least), and I’ve always preferred big tyres. Banshee Spitfire keeps coming back to me – with a 160mm Pike on the front, 27″ wheels and in the slack setting it should be a downhill monster (for a 140mm bike at least). In the least slack setting it should suit my local woods better. Will try to sort out a test ride…

catvet

Have a look at a Kona Process 134, seems to be a great take on a very modern trailbike, long front centre so shoving it down steep shutes should be ok, long slack low and stiff.
    The next generation on from the Rocket IMHO.

Process 134 looks rather steep at 68 HA! Thinking about the 66 degrees region, maybe half a degree steeper on a 27″ wheel but no more as the greater fork offset reduces the trail.

Having exchanged emails with KS himself (helpful chap!) the Banshee Spitfire with a CCDBair CS, 150mm Pike up front and 650B wheels is looking like a serious contender. Waiting to hear back from my LBS about a test ride!

gaz552

catvet – Member
    Have a look at a Kona Process 134, seems to be a great take on a very modern trailbike, long front centre so shoving it down steep shutes should be ok, long slack low and stiff.
    The next generation on from the Rocket IMHO.

What makes you say it’s the next generation on from the Rocket?
    By all accounts there’s not many bikes out there that ride and handle the way the Rocket does with 150mm of travel (maybe a yetI SB66) I.e. rides like a bike with less travel until you need it (not overly suspened..?).
    The Kona Process does look like a good bike but I’ve not read anyone mention how lively abd easy it is to change line on etc.
    Maybe that’s because I’ve only looked at the Process 153.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

my process 153 loves to be thrown about, corners really well, down to 32lbs since ive dropped the front mech n shifter and gone narrow/wide, also swapped HRII on the back for a nobby nic much less draggy

this looks intriguing

Brand New: Commencal Meta Hip-Hop 2014

commencal hip hop

What were they thinking with that name?! Looks a fun bike, similar geometry to the Spitfire with 26s but 20mm less travel front and rear. However, as I seem to ride some of the muddiest places known to man and hate washing bikes that Commencal “let’s put the shock right where all the mud goes” suspension design makes me paranoid…

Process 153 looks very good! How’s the HR2 2.3 on the front? What’s the real width in mm?

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

HR IIs come up pretty wide,for maxxis, ive literally just swapped it for a hans dampf 2.35 and they seem similar width

there was nothing wrong with the HRii, nice n grippy in the wet and doesnt wash out easy, im just trying out the HD ot of curiosity, riding on sunday so will know then

jk1980

That commencal looks great!

Having carried out a test ride the other weekend I’m probably going for the Knolly Endorphin, it felt great. Amazing that on the rough stuff it felt nearly as stiff as my DH bike, despite only having 140mm. The head angle is only 67, whereas I’d also want around 66, but I figure with the 160 fork I have it will be around 66.5. So I’d recommend checking that out, I’m still staggered at how well it descends for a 140mm bike.

The only thing that will stop me ordering a Knolly is the spitfire, that does look tempting.

Rickos

Carbon Stumpy EVO frame going cheap (relatively!) on Bikescene. Might be limited sizes though, can’t remember. I’ve got a 2011 version and it’s wonderful.

Premier Icon al2000
    Subscriber

My Spitfire is ace, would definitely recommend. Of the other bikes mentioned, don’t think you could go far wrong with a Rocket or a Stumpy EVO.

deanfbm

al2000 – I’m kind of tempted by one of those spitfires. Is yours 26 or 650b?

What would your review of the bike be/what can you compare it to/what sort of riding do you do?

Looking for a tough, low/slack bike which is not too much of a chore to pedal, doesn’t dull out tamer bits whilst being able to take big hits.

dean, drop keith at banshee bikes.com an email, he’s the frame designer/engineer, knows his stuff, is very helpful and looks like he can handle a bike from pics I’ve seen. Seeing as Banshee refer to the Spitfire as the downhillers’ trail bike and it’s pretty hefty for a 140mm frame, I’d expect it to handle riders who go large!

It seems you are wanting exactly the same as I! I have a Ragley Blue pig with a build biased towards DH (even though I lack the skills to do it justice) and have ended up going down the FS route purely for those longer rides where there is only so much of a battering you can take. Wasn’t looking for a squishy wallowy mess but rather something to take the edge off stuff and help with those bumpy climbs that can take it out of you on a hardtail. I was all set on a Rocket but since they have been out of stock forever I moved on and ordered a Transition Covert. I live in Devon and all the local shops sell are the main brands like Spec’, Giant etc.. so short of 100s of miles and pounds to get to the midlands demoing is pretty much out for a lot of these brands. It’s a 2014 model so should be arriving this very week so I shall report back with how I get on.

As you have said earlier on the talk of the Rocket being poppy and stiff at the rear really got me as that sounds like it may be a bit hardtail like and exactly what I want but as said earlier, who knows when you will be able to get one. Everything I have read seems to suggest the Covert is a similar proposition with regards to being “poppy” although this may just be a buzz word that doesn’t mean anything at all but hey ho.

I agree that just getting fitter will help with most things but I think there is only so much you can do. I am going to do the Mega next year and was all set to do it on the hardtail but the recent trip up to Scotland made me re-access. Whilst the event itself wouldn’t pose an issue, I think the whole week of riding would. It will be tough and fatiguing on the body and it’s those times where I think the FS comes in.

I don’t think there is anything at all that can’t be ridden and enjoyed on a Hardtail so I feel a bit of a wuss moving over to a FS for essentially a softer and more comfortable ride but I guess if it allows me ride harder for longer then it’s a good thing. Either way let us know what you end up buying!

Cheers,

John

Incidentally, one of my mates just ordered a Covert. And I have just ordered a Spitfire!

JCL

Did you get the CCDB on the Spitfire? Be intesting to hear what you think if so.

You will love the spitfire great choice ! What colour did you go for? Ive had mine 8 months now and cant get enough of it ! after going1x10 it now wieghs 30.5ibs which is pretty good I think for a frame that isnt considered lightweight. The bike loves going downhill fast, pedals uphill well , has tons of traction due to the awesome ks link suspension and loves air time .since I built mine I havent looked at any other frames as I love riding it so much its my only bike and I use it for everything:)

mindmap3

Good stuff on the Spitfire. As much as I love my Rune, the Spitfire is probably the bike that I should have bought.

Did you go with the Cane Creek? I’ve been really impressed with mine so far although if yo fiddle too much, you can make it horrible! I much prefer it to the Fox CTD shock.p

Keith is massively helpful isn’t he?

The only bad news I need to break to you, is that cleaning the KS link is a proper faff. There are lads of little places that mud collects. The good news is that my bearings etc are still smooth after some very wet, muddy rides.

mmel

Since we’re putting up pictures of Spitfires, here’s mine out in the countryside the other week.

It’s a great bike, I’m running 26″ wheels as the moment but the Pikes are 650b and obviously the frame can take the larger wheel size also when I feel the need….

I’ve got the CS version of the CCDB and find the climb position really helps when your mashing away at the hills. The Pike is as awesome fork, but you don’t need me to tell you that.

I originally wanted a Rocket, but I couldn’t wait any longer and went for the Spitfire. I’ve not for one second regretted it!

mindmap3

That’s lovely….I was gutted when I found out that the a Rune no longer came in that colour.

I’m really excited about the Spitfire! Keith (designer) & Pat (distributor) & Freedom Bikes (LBS) have been very helpful. It’s the gloss black decals on anodised black medium frame aka ‘Stealth Black’ with CCDBair-CS.

I’m planning to build it up with 650B Flow EX Hope Hoops, 150mm Pike RCT3, 1×10 (SLX cranks & BB with bash, Works thick-thin 34t, XT 11-36, Saint shifter, Zee mech, Vaults), Hope Tech3 E4 183/160 brakes, Hope headset, 711mm Haven Carbon bars (local trails are too tight for wider IMO), 50mm Renthal stem, Gravity Dropper Turbo LP, Charge Scoop, Trail King aka Rubber Queen 2.2 Protection (Magic Mary 2.35 as the muddier option for the front).

Now I don’t like to turn this into a tyre thread (aarghhhh!!!) but I’m pondering the alternate choice for the front. Love the Rubber Queen on the back but it doesn’t have big enough edge knobs to be the greatest all-year front tyre (although it’s always decent). So what?

Magic Mary (Trailstar 2.35)
    High Roller 2 (3C Maxterra 2.3)
    Minion DHF (ditto)
    Minion DHR 2 (ditto)

It seems the DHF is now a sensible width, 27.5×2.3 being as wide as the old 26×2.5 – I don’t think the 60a variants will be sticky enough on tree roots compared to the Rubber Queen on the back. 42a seems overkill and rather slow compared to the 3C thingy? Any others to consider? 27.5 Butcher or Baron would be nice please, Specialized and Continental!

The Spitfire frame is here (and all the other bits bar the wheels and brakes)!

Yetiman

Looking forward to seeing this built chief.

Looking forward to seeing this built chief.

I shall apologise in advance for the state of my garden etc, the big ugly bashring and the Gravity Dropper’s boot! Function over form (in the case of the bike at least…) The Pikes are 160mm btw, not 150mm, so it’ll be even slacker, 65.6/66.1/66.6 depending on the dropout position.

Love it…. Hate the dropper though. Spoils the aesthetic IMHO.

I already apologised for the dropper! 😉 I’ve had a GD on my Soul for years and it just works – and when it gets grumbly it’s dead easy to make happy again. Seemed like aesthetically driven folly to get anything else (especially as they’re lighter than the rest)!

Two rides in: This bike is ****ing brilliant. Loves air, just as a Spitfire should!

Premier Icon Paceman
    Subscriber

Looks ace 🙂

crush83

Love the spitfire.

I have done the same as you, upgraded from 3 years on a 140mm HT (Orange crush) to a 150mm FS, pivot mach 5.7C. Can’t wait to get back to the UK for my first ride!

Dropped it from neutral to low/slack (6mm more BB drop and angles 0.5 deg lower) today and expected it to feel more choppered out and floppy on the flat but actually the main thing I noticed is how much more smoothly it carves and changes direction when turning. 65.6 deg HA now, which gives the same trail as 65 deg on a 26″. How long since that was the norm on DH bikes?!

Van Halen

niiice….

goodgrief

That’s the same effect I had going from mid to low. It’s got a much more positive turn-in now, it responds better to body position and bar input.

goodgrief

since we’re posting spitfire pics…

mindmap3

Glad you’re enjoying it.

I love my Rune…it’s a great bike. The KS link seems to do a great job.

I’ve not really experimented with the low setting on mine, I’ve just stuck with the neutral setting which I think is the same as the Spitfire’s slackest setting. The demo bike I ride was in the slackest setting which was awesome on the descents but I got a lot of pedal strikes. Felt like harder work on the climbs too.

mmel

My Spitty is now in slack mode ready for a Saturday at Antur Stiniog. I’ll let you know how I get on….

Viewing 45 posts - 46 through 90 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘What slack low tough 140-160mm full-sus frame & forks for 140mm hardtail rider?’ is closed to new replies.