Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What ski goggles for a speccy…?
  • davetrave
    Free Member

So it’s ski season again and therefore time for some new goggles. What’s good, around the £100 or less mark, for somebody who wears glasses (medium-ish sized rimless type)?

Ta!

peterfile
    Free Member

Smith’s OTG range is really good and well priced. Worth trying a few on to see how they fit though.

(I don’t wear glasses so I could be making this up, but I did work for a ski/snowboard company for a few years, so we used to hear a lot of customer feedback)

hammerite
    Free Member

Second the Smiths. You’ll get them for a lot less than £100.

If you go for the Bolle one’s I’d change the lens from Vermillion Gun it’s not versatile enough (good for bright conditions, not for gloomier). Go for a modulator lens instead.

Last year I e-mailed Bolle and they put me on to a company called Bushnell. The replacement modulator lens was only £35 at the time.

packer
    Free Member

I tried a few different over-the-glasses types but found that the reality is it’s bloody annoying wearing goggles over glasses full stop.
    In the end I went for some goggles with clip-in prescription inserts.
    There are a few on the market but I found the Adidas ones to be the best looking and functioning.
    I bought the Adidas goggles second hand on eBay for £30 (think that are around £70 new), then paid £35 for the prescription insert and £40 to have lenses put in it. So all in I spent approx £100.
    I am extremely happy with them – would not use anything else now.

hammerite
    Free Member

packer – curious about this. What do you do about being able to see when you stop for lunch etc… and take your goggles off? Or do you carry your normal glasses and just put them on (dealing with the steaming up!)?

I’ve found contact lenses to be the best option, but I know these aren’t for everyone.

samuri
    Free Member

There is no workable answer for speccy four eyed people who want to wear their glasses under goggles. Oh sure, people will have lots of ideas that work a bit, but never a lot. You end up never breaking the seal on the goggles even when you go in a cafe.

Contact lenses I’m afraid, it’s the only thing that works IME.

packer
    Free Member

I am short sighted so I can manage without glasses at lunch or when taking a break. If I wasn’t I guess I would take my regular glasses in a pocket though.

davetrave
    Free Member

Hmm… Decisions, decisions. The other option is to just wear my issued ESS Advancer V12 goggles , I have the insert and all three coloured lenses anyway so would save having to spunk anything more. Advantages: free, interchangeable lenses for all conditions, small and fit with ski lid. Disadvantages: reduced sterescopic vision due to separate lenses, obvious panda eyes (although perhaps not as bad as a big goggle shaped pasty white bit…). Although I do like the look of those Bolle goggles, may with an insert…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What ski goggles for a speccy…?’ is closed to new replies.