• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by GW.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What size C-spanner for DHX coil shock????
  • Premier Icon Dirtynap
    Free Member

Hi all,

I have lost my spanner for pre-loading the spring on my fox DHX coil shock. Can some tell me what size it is so I can go buy another one.

Thanks

Premier Icon steveh

You shouldn't need a spanner to do it, hands only. You shouldn't have more than 4 turns of preload on the spring anyway.

Premier Icon LoCo
    Free Member

Steveh is right, any more than 4 turns and you run the risk of the spring becoming 'coil bound' bottoming out on itself (depending on weight/travel) before the shock bottoms out. This will quickly damage your shock, check your spring rate to see if you need a stiffer one to get the desired sag (25 to 33% of full travel usually)

Premier Icon fivespot
    Free Member

As both answers above. Turn the spring and collar together by hand, simples 😉

Premier Icon Dirtynap
    Free Member

I am 90kgs in my kit so according to spring calculators I need a 450lb spring with two full turns, which according to Fox is the max.
    TF say I need less then that though but still a 450 spring.
    When I measure the current sag its a bit more than 30% and ideally I want it at a bit below 30%.
    The problem is I have tendon problems in my left thumb and can't grip the ring well enough to turn it once its engaged with the pre-load ring. Hence I need a spanner.

Premier Icon GW
    Free Member

pipe grips will do it but will you be able grip them with your dodgy thumb?

😕

Premier Icon Dirtynap
    Free Member

Ya spanners and alike are fine. never thought of pipe grips, duh

Premier Icon GW
    Free Member

oh.. and wrap a rag round the collar first.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What size C-spanner for DHX coil shock????’ is closed to new replies.