Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What singlespeed road bike?
  • lunge

Morning all,

I’m after a singlespeedable road bike to use as a winter trainer/hack bike/occasional pub bike. It needs to be able to take mudguards and bigger tyres. I keep coming back to a Pompino from On-One but before I click buy I thought I would see if anyone else could think of anything I have missed?

Thanks.

rsmythe
    Free Member

The pomp is a great bike. However, I’ve found that the horizontal track ends make it difficult to remove the rear wheel when using mudguards. So much so that I no longer use guards. Maybe I just lack technique though! I’d therefore recommend something with forward facing rear dropouts such as a surly crosscheck, which I also have and also think is a great bike.

RickyRah
    Free Member

I have a 2011 Pearson Touche and it’s brilliant but I think the price has got skywards since I got it. I don’t think you can beat the Pompino for value. The only minor issue for me would be the canti brakes.

I’ve found that the horizontal track ends make it difficult to remove the rear wheel when using mudguards.

I find this also but the mudguards just pop in and out of the mounting brackets so it’s no major issue.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lunge

Thanks both, I’d not thought of Pearson so I’ll have a look.

porlus
    Free Member

Might be in the same position myself. Same as you, keep coming back to the Pompino. If I did get one though, it would be specced with the drop bars and upgrade brakes.

soobalias
    Free Member

did anyone get one of those merlin single malts for a good test yet?

thomthumb
    Free Member

i love my pompino but have often thought of upgrading it as canti brakes are so frustrating. As the pads wear the brakes have a tendency to go under the rim.

When its wet this can be in 3-4 days commuting. my commutes not long ~10 miles each way.

maybe mini v’s are better…

RickyRah
    Free Member

Traitor

Another one to consider is the Traitor Luggernaut but I’ve never seen one in the flesh. It apparently has good clearance and eyelets for mudguards. They weren’t in the UK when I was shopping for a SS.

earlanderson
    Free Member

If its just for road I run a dolan pre cursa track frame. Nice, light, very agile and fast away from the lights 🙂 . They do a model with eyelets.

2orangey4crows

Been riding a Pompino for a few weeks and really enjoy it. Cantis are fine in the dry, woeful in the wet. Haven’t tried mudguards, but there’s a ton of clearance with 25c tyres.

Ride feels a bit ‘dead’ compared to the Tokyo Fixed Dart it replaced, but you’d expect that from a frame that was 3 times cheaper.

I always liked the older Kona Paddy Wagons, but they’ve become a bit more hipster rather than practical recently.

edhornby

I also have a precursa, for commuting and it’s ace. Will handle 25s and Crudguards

edhornby

Genesis day one?

TiRed

I have ridden several 1000s of miles on my Kona Paddy Wagon. Great bike with lovely road bike geometry and that flexible steel feel. Not the lightest bike, particularly with the stock wheels. But it is more than the sum of its parts. And yes it will take mudguards.

If I were buying again, however, and I wanted light, not steel, I’d buy a Dolan FXE as it has the same geometry, but a lighter alloy frame.

_tom_
    Free Member

I loved my Langster and wish I never sold it! The wheels were a bit flexy when cranking it up the hills though. I’m still tempted to buy another in the awesome silver finish.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What singlespeed road bike?’ is closed to new replies.