What singlespeed kit (cog + spacers) fits with a 9speed chain?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What singlespeed kit (cog + spacers) fits with a 9speed chain?
  • Aus

Want a cheap go at SS – some kits suggest they’re unlikley to fit the narrower 9spd chain. Anyone know what cheap kits are OK with 9spd?

Cheers

footflaps

None that I know of, you’re best off pulling apart a 9sp cassette and using a sprocket from that.

footflaps

or just leave the cassette on complete – no need for spacers….

Premier Icon BigJohn
    Subscriber

The only ones that won’t fit a 9spd chain are the 1/8th sprockets. They need a BMX type chain.

8spd and 9spd are the same width. 3/32.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

None that I know of

most of them will be fine.

Mine is fine.

smiffy

any one will work.

The only ones that won’t fit a 9spd chain are the 1/8th sprockets. They need a BMX type chain.

not the case, mine works fine.

PaulD

smiffy,

Exactly which chain and 1/8th” sprocket combo do you have?

PaulD

Aus

thanks, have ordered on On One

Cferg

I’m aware this might be a stupid question as someone has already said it above. But I thought 8 speed chains were alright to use ? I’ve recently gone singlespeed on an old bike and its running fine except when trying to put the power down it skips quite badly. I was putting it down to worn chain rings however I’m running an 8spd chain, will a singlespeed specific chain stop this ? It was running fine before taking the gears off and no skipping with the same chainset. . .

Aidan

I’m using the Andel cogs from Velosolo:

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopsingle.html

I’ve done 1000s of miles with 9spd chains on them.

Premier Icon BigJohn
    Subscriber

Some sprockets like Chris king have really high teeth and will skip like crazy with some chains

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What singlespeed kit (cog + spacers) fits with a 9speed chain?’ is closed to new replies.