Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • What should I put in my seat-tube?
  • topangarider
    Free Member

In terms of any lubrication, copper slip etc??

Steel frame
    Thompson seatpost.

Cheers

thomthumb
    Free Member

copperslip

DM52
    Free Member

nothing! I have run my Thomson albeit in an ally frame and have never bothered with any lube. Just remove the post after washing / wet rides to dry it off and leave it removed til next ride.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

grease

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

smarties

bigyinn
    Free Member

Normal waterproof grease will suffice, it should help prevent any corrosion jamming things in there.
    Just make sure you take the seatpost out every now and then and clean and re-grease.
    Copper slip is more to prevent seizing when heat is involved.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you are going to move it a fair amount – ordinary grease. I would only use coppaslip if it was going to stay in the same position for ages. coppaslip is anti seize compound not a lube as such

cynic-al
    Free Member

It has also been said that coppaslip’s conductivity accelerates the electrolytic process of “corrosion” between steel and alu

z1ppy

you stash? ohh just read you full post…. copperslip.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Butter.

retro83
    Free Member
    druidh
    Free Member

I use carbon paste for all my seatposts now.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nothing. Just keep the post and the inside of the seat tube nice and clean

At best, coppaslip if you NEVER EVER move it.

Grease is intended to keep parts moving, and to keep moving parts lubricated. You want your seatpost to stay where you put it so it therefore follows no grease is required. You’ve gotta really try hard to get a post to sieze, especially a decent one like a Thompson.

uplink
    Free Member

I just wipe mine with a rag with GT85 on it

PP – oils & greases are also used for their anti-corrosion properties as well as lubrication

smiffy

It has also been said that coppaslip’s conductivity accelerates the electrolytic process of “corrosion” between steel and alu

that’s actually the opposite of what happens.

CuSlip is the way to go. no creaks, no scratches, no problem.

PJay
    Free Member

You don’t want ‘lubrication’ as you’ll not be wanting the post to slip. AFAIK the grease is there to help reduce/prevent rusting (with a steel frame) and galling (which I think is where two metals bond chemically or somesuch thing). Copper grease is the way to go but, if like me, you find your Thomson post slipping a bit something like Tacx/Pace carbon assembly paste is great; it helps with grip (designed to allow lower torquing for carbon kit) but also works to reduce rusting etc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks PP – I’ve seen enough frames ruined by seized seatposts, quality ones and all!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

. You’ve gotta really try hard to get a post to sieze, especially a decent one like a Thompson.

I once spent 2 hours on a Friday night , with a vice, a can of GT85 and a can of plus gas trying to remove a Thomson seat post from a frame.

topangarider
    Free Member

I’m not having problems with it moving. After wet rides it starts to creak a bit cos water has got in there – a quick wipe later and its sorted, but the inside of the frame seems to have a rusty residue.

A tiny smear of grease to prevent the water going in?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Grease will be fine, if the post starts to slip then think again.

zaskar
    Free Member

Maybe a smear of grease over the frame and seat post clamp area?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I spent 2 hours on a Friday night , with a vice, a can of GT85 and a can of plus gas trying to remove a Thomson seat post from a frame.

Please explain to me how it came to be stuck. What the smeg are you doing to it? (Or not doing to it, more than likely!)

I’ve never had any problems and I never put anything on any of my posts, (alloy, Ti, or carbon)in any frame (steel, Ti or alloy)
    One carbon one on my commuter (A Halfords Bikehut one, no less!) stayed untouched for about 2 years and came out fine, and is now in a new frame, but I guess that didn’t have as much crap chucked at it as on a MTB.

I’m not one for moving my seat up and down all the time, but all grease or anything else seems to do for me is attract grit and form a lovely grinding paste when I do move the seat. So, all I do is wipe the post clean every couple of months or so, and leave it alone otherwise…..

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Please explain to me how it came to be stuck. What the smeg are you doing to it? (Or not doing to it, more than likely!)

Nothing unusual, it was greased in as well.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

something wrong there. Posts don’t get stuck for no reason.

mk1fan
    Free Member

This one seems to have.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Oh, and as noone else said it, your cock. Lubed or un-lubed take your pick.

soobalias
    Free Member

mk1fan – Member
    Oh, and as noone else said it, you’re a cock

bit harsh dont you think.

i always smear a ickle bit of grease on a seat post before insertion.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Peterpoddy. Putting an aluminium seatpost in a steel frame without any lube and it will seize in place at the first hint of water. Catalytic corrosion.

alloy in alloy or either bit carbon fibre will not but two dissimilar metals corrode together very quickly. The corrosion occupies more volume as well.

mk1fan
    Free Member

soobalais,

I see what you did there, you joker you.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

A little bit of Vaseline, simple its waterproof and clean.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

mk1fan – Member
    Oh, and as noone else said it, your cock. Lubed or un-lubed take your pick.

Must have a touch of sand in his vagina.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Peterpoddy. Putting an aluminium seatpost in a steel frame without any lube and it will seize in place at the first hint of water. Catalytic corrosion.

Thomson post + steel frame + grease = still siezed.

There was signs of corrosion, but the post had moved freely at least a month before.

smiffy

You don’t want ‘lubrication’ as you’ll not be wanting the post to slip

greasing a post will not cause it to slip, in fact the opposite happens.

Dibbs
    Free Member

A lot of automotive greases are Lithium based, these can also cause seizing due to electrolytic action. I’d stick with copperslip, or if you’re rich try some SKF LGAF3 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Never happened to me, in about 17-18 years riding and a fair few steel frames with alloy posts. Not even a hint of it. Would you like to come check the 3 steel/alloy combos currently residing in my garage?
    🙂

Now, chuck slack maintainance/cleaning into the mix and you might be on to something…!

rs
    Free Member

I don’t like greasing my post either 😳 attracts dirt if you do raise and lower it a bit and generally just looks messy as ****.

Brainflex

Put ball bearings in the seat tube.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘What should I put in my seat-tube?’ is closed to new replies.