• This topic has 78 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by gee.
Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • What should I do? (Jammy bar-steward content, with a Jammy Dodger and extra jam)
  • yossarian
    Free Member

Pronghorn hardtails are gorgeous and look fast. Regarding their full sussers, it’s nice to know that function occasionally really kicks form’s ass.

It looks like a mid 70s soviet prototype

You work for pronghorn/own a pronghorn then?

Let’s go viral, YEAH!

deluded
    Free Member

The Proghorn HT appeals to me – neat lines and all that. Nice.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’d sooner ride something pretty and fast, this applies to my cycling too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    walleater

Donghorn.

Gary_M
    Free Member

If you ride for pronghorn and are questioning whether to build it up or not then that doesn’t say very much for the brand you’re supposed to represent.

Both hideous bikes btw.

Saccades
    Free Member

2 of the lads in the club rode pronghorns to podium in the 24/12. look ace built up and very fast.

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

Wronghorn

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why are these any better than a Boardman? Or do they just cost more?

Notice how no-one has bothered/tried to answer this perfectly reasonably question?

I spose if the geometry/design suits you better for your own style of riding, then they could be considered ‘better’, but it’s an incredibly subjective thing, is not it?

It’s doubtful that someone who’d spent the money on a Yeti or that other.. thing… would admit that the Boardman was the better bike for them, even if it were true.

druidh
    Free Member

andrewh – Member
    Didn’t mean to come accross as willy-waving, more an attempt at a shameless plug
    I ride for Pronghorn

The Mods are usually pretty strict about this sort of thing. I reckon they’ve taken pity on you.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I don’t know anything about these frames. Can anyone shed some light on the thinking behind having the shock absorber above the top tube? If it’s to protect it from mud then you would think it would get muddy and scraped from shorts as someone else said.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

A good point Elfie.

TheFlyingOx

Any chance of a better pic Ox? Yours is getting a bit lost in the background, but what I can see looks good.

One from the top of Dumyat

Don’t really have any more.

walleater

Nice river.

RustyNissanPrairie

they’re both crap. and you’re a cock.

liquid
    Free Member

I’ve had a rubbish day and this thread has cheered me up no end 😀

Markie
    Free Member

Pronghorn hardtails are gorgeous and look fast. Regarding their full sussers, it’s nice to know that function occasionally really kicks form’s ass.

It looks like a mid 70s soviet prototype

You work for pronghorn/own a pronghorn then?

Let’s go viral, YEAH!

No, sorry, nothing whatsoever to with Pronghorn.

I do like the look of the hardtail but then should have have said words to the effect of ‘and as the full suss looks that gopping it had better be damn fast’. But didn’t. But it was what I meant. I think I was trying to be polite. And I was certainly over-tired.

scaredypants

I think the looks of a xc racebike are pretty irrelevant, other than maybe grabbing attention. For schure, if a UCI event was being won by a geezer/burd on a pronghorn everybody would know that’s what it was – even covered in kack

(not sure there’d be a lot of baggy shorts akshun on either bike, so chafage on the shock from shorts isn’t a concern, is it ?)

I seem to remember a pronghorn getting quite a good review in stw (maybe even in terms of riding “normal” trails IIRC)

I do think it’s the equivalent of white/gold spd shoes though – you’d better be faster than the haters, or very thick-skinned

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Serious question. Why is the shock on the top? Surely it’s not an effective place for it and it is likely to be more of an obstruction than in a more conventional place? Not trying to be a hater just asking.

Dougal
    Free Member

Andrew:-

– Sell the Yeti, it’ll probably snap after only 18 rides like the last one!
    – Sell the Pronghorn, so that when it does snap some other punter can deal with warranty issues due to Pronhorn going bust (again – how many times is that now?).
    – Stick with your hardtail.

nedrapier

I like the pronghorn.

I went to try and find some pics of it looking good with google image search.

Found this, which looks even better.

andrewh
    Free Member

OK, not quite the response i was looking for 😉
    Although I note that the one person who has tried one liked it and everyone else takes the pi$$ based on nothing more than appearances… They would probably take the micky out of me for riding in lycra too.
    Serious point about the shock placement, which both Pronghorn and Focus use, having the shock in line with the chain gives the bike a very particular feel, very different to the Yeti and Marins (single pivot and quad-link) that I’ve had before. Difficult to describe, but it makes the stroke feel more linear and seems to improve grip on the climbs. Also keeps it out of the way of all the mud. And no, it’s no-where near my dangly bits, just ask yourself how often you hit yours on your top-tube? And how often at the back of the top-tube?

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

Why? Is it your first time on the internet?

molgrips
    Free Member

I also think the shock’s in a silly place. It’s bound to get rubbed by gritty thighs even in lycra, but esp with baggies.

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

I have tried a wronghorn. The big travel one, and the racer snake one you have. Ugly, uninspiring ride and expensive. It was when that fat balding bloke took them in. He was nice to chat to about them but meh

rs
    Free Member

having the shock in line with the chain gives the bike a very particular feel, very different to the Yeti and Marins (single pivot and quad-link)

I’m thinking the horst style chainstay pivot contributes more to the feel than the shock being parallel to the chain.

andrewh
    Free Member

Thank-you RS, an intelligent comment, rather than just having a go at the cosmetics. You may be right, I’m not an engineer so don’t know the whys but I do know it feels nice.

rs
    Free Member

sorry but it does look hideous too 😛

andrewh
    Free Member

Fairy ’nuff, each to their own.

grum
    Free Member

OK, not quite the response i was looking for

What response did you expect to a thread going ‘OOOH EVERYONE LOOK AT ME AND WHAT I’VE GOT, AREN’T I LUCKY’, then post a pic of ‘the lightest, fastest, rarest and most sought after XC frames around, both new out of the box’ – one of which happens to be one of the fugliest bikes on the market?

andrewh
    Free Member

I was kind of hoping to start an inteligent discussion on the pros and cons of the frame design and whether or not it is better than a main rival, and then maybe get a few people interested enough to come and see one in the flesh when they see us at a race, rather than just a pi$$-take on something which looks a bit different.

And I am trying to sell the Yeti frame, so a bit of a cheeky advert too.

Didn’t quite go according to plan…

I don’t know who’s this one is but I think it looks lovely.

grum
    Free Member

I was kind of hoping to start an inteligent discussion on the pros and cons of the frame design and whether or not it is better than a main rival

Might I suggest then that the thread title could have been ‘Pronghorn vs Yeti, what do you reckon?’ and that you didn’t **** on them being ”the lightest, fastest, rarest and most sought after XC frames around’? Just sounded like massive boasting, which is inevitably going to lead to piss-taking on here (especially when you are boasting about having such a fugly bike 😉 ).

mboy
    Free Member

And no, it’s no-where near my dangly bits, just ask yourself how often you hit yours on your top-tube? And how often at the back of the top-tube?

Really? Just me that suffers from that then… Nice to meet you by the way, the name’s Dirk, Dirk Diggler 😉

Seriously though, odd/different/unique (I’m trying to be polite!) as the frame looks, the shock placement isn’t going to be an issue to an XC racer in the slightest. Sure it would annoy the hell out of us mere mortals, but a 10 stone stick insect in lycra isn’t going to so much as come within 6 inches of that shock, in any direction. FWIW, my mate has just taken delivery of one of these too (as he too is now sponsored by them), and though I’ve not seen it in the flesh, I’ve taken delight in giving him a good ribbing about it in advance… Mainly not due to the looks (hey, I ride a Maverick, if ever there was a bike that polarised people’s opinions on looks it’s mine!), but due to the fact that they had a very poor reputation for snappage not long ago, and well, he can kill ANY bike, and they’ve given him an uber light carbon fibre full sus frame! That said, it’ll probably last longer than every other bike he’s had for years whilst also helping him on the way to a number of PB’s and getting him noticed by a more reputable bike manufacturer for sponsorship… 😆

At least it doesn’t have a ridiculous Time Trial bike seat mast on it though…

Oh, and word to the wise, the guys round here aren’t impressed by anything any more, certainly not a full sus XC bike, it’s just not niche enough! (not that I give two hoots myself mind)

Good luck this season whichever bike you ride!

andrewh
    Free Member

my mate has just taken delivery of one of these ….. and well, he can kill ANY bike

Friend of Corby’s? I seem to recall he took less than a fortnight to write-off his B1.
    No chance of impressing this lot if it doesn’t have an On-One sticker on it and is unsuitable for super-rad-hardcore-gnarr-to-the-power-of-sick trails with extra gnarr.
    *Flounces off back to weightweenies website*

MentalMickey
    Free Member

That buttercup looks lonely. 😥

Like that word ‘gopping’ though. 🙂

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Gobstoppingly gopping. 😀

wl
    Free Member

There are pot holes around here that would finish off those road frames.

hedfree
    Free Member

i have been riding, repairing and building bike forr as long as i can remember and i dont think i have ever seen a uglyer ride, nearly been sick on the screen.

sorry :mrgreen:

flatfish
    Free Member

Whilst I can see why some people like them I think it looks like it’s been left next to an open fire.
    Hope it ride better than I think it looks.

gee
    Free Member

‘Wronghorn’

Love it.

GB

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘What should I do? (Jammy bar-steward content, with a Jammy Dodger and extra jam)’ is closed to new replies.