Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What should I be paying for my broadband?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Current pay £39 per month all in for unlimited broadband, free weekend phone calls from a land line (although i have never ever used the phone ever, and a fairly basic tv package, ie no sky sports, movies etc.

Deal is through virgin, seems a bit steep. Whats everyone else paying?

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Phone line and broadband covered by work. Free sat for TV, so zilch. 🙂
    For your use I would have thought £10-15 a month and using freeview would suffice. Though I know some that pay £60 a month for their Virgin tv/broadband package, I’d ask whether those extra channels are worth it.

grum
    Free Member

£21 a month for unlimited broadband and phone line rental with plusnet. Think that includes some calls too but I’m not sure.

JGG – other than boasting, what was the point of your post?

neninja
    Free Member

Just signed with Sky at home (wanted to go with BT but Sky deal was too good).

Unlimited fibre broadband – 12mth contract free for six months then £20 per month.
    £14.50 line rental
    £25 M&S voucher
    £63.50 cashback via Topcashback

Worked out about £150 cheaper with Sky vs. BT over the 12 month contract after deducting the cashback and voucher.

footflaps

I have BB and phone from Virgin. 25 Mb/s download, although it’s supposed to be 20. Cost is £26/month, which seems steep. They’ve put it up quite a bit recently. Phone has never been plugged in, so I only use the broadband.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Sorry Grum. I’d accidentally posted my original response then edited before you replied. Wasn’t meant to be boastful, I’m fortunate I agree. I don’t watch much tv, and find even free sat offers far more choice than I’d ever need.

grum
    Free Member

Fair enough. 🙂

IanW
    Free Member

Paying £42 per month to BT for fibre optic and the phone line and £36 to Sky for the TV. Happy with both services but seems I may be overpaying.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Pay 30 quid a month for BT – get a whopping 4 meg too – just internet.

The joys of having sheep and horses for neighbours

swampi
    Free Member

I was paying a similar amount to virgin, the trick is if your out of your contract period just tell them your leaving just like with a phone contract.. low and behold I ended up paying nearly half of what I was even tho I was tied again to them for another 18 months

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

On Orange I pay £12 line, +£12 BB, +£3 anytime calling, -£5 as I have an orange phone contract. So, £23 pm

br
    Free Member

If you are with Virgin, are you on cable?

We use to have 100mb broadband (cable) and now have 4mb as we’ve moved to a rural location and that’s it. Price has more than halved, but, tbh we barely notice a difference – still can surf while my wife watches a film through Sky on her laptop (while it’s downloading) and my son is online with his X-Box.

renton
    Free Member

I’ve just signed up with talk talk at my new house.

£114 for line rental for the year.

Then £9.25 for unlimited broadband and anytime calls booster per month.

piemonster

Pay 30 quid a month for BT – get a whopping 4 meg too – just internet.

Ouch. That’s about 12 quid for me with fibre optic.

kcal

grum: £21 a month for unlimited broadband and phone line rental with plusnet. Think that includes some calls too but I’m not sure.

Plusnet here too. Couldn’t get unlimited though – perhaps that depends on exchange? Mine is 120GB/month, line rental, UK & international calls (wife’s sister is in Oz), plus caller ID. Broadband speed is I think around 6-8Meg, and have paid a bit more to get better contention (need broadband at home for work)..

Around £36 – £38 / month depending on the extra calls – mobile, minutes over calling abroad, helpline numbers)

crispo
    Free Member

Where we live in Lancashire we could only get 0.1mb through the phone line but was still paying £25 for that and phone line.

Have switched to what is essentially a giant WIFI Internet as we can’t get fibre optic. Now getting guaranteed 10 meg unlimited download and have VoIP phone account that we pay £2/ month for a local number.

All in all £22 for 10 meg and phone line, just happy to have decent Internet!

allthepies
    Free Member

Been looking into this recently. I’m on Virgin cable, 20Mb service. But since May there’s been a “utilisation fault” in my area which sees my cable modem intermittently drop the connection, sometime every 2 minutes.
    So, looking to change supplier and fibre is available in my area. Out of Plusnet and BT, plusnet are quite a bit cheaper so that’s where my ££ is going.

Davesport

Paying circa 40 quid to TT every month. This includes line rental, unlimited BB, all UK landline calls, cheap calls abroad. I’ve had no problems other than BB speed slowing at peak times. Apparently I’m paying extra because TT don’t have any equipment in the local (rural) exchange.

Musnit grumble….waiting on fiber optic.

Jason
    Free Member

I have just changed with Virgin. I was on a phone and TV package with their old set top box, I get home broadband provided by work, but it is on a BT line and very slow in the evenings. So switched to phone, 30mb broadband, and M+ TV with a Tivo box. New price is £29 per month fixed for 2 years, I also had to pay a £15 install fee. It took a bit of time on the phone with them to get that out of them, which is frustrating as it is a package they offer to new customers.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I’m keeping a keen eye on this. I’m with bt, get 1.5mb with a 10gb cap. Think I get free weekend calls.
    It’s too expensive and I go over by a gig a month and costs an extra fiver..

kcal

Well, that was handy! Based on this topic, went back to my PlusNet account, turns out I’m on an older (Premium) package that is costing more for less — just switched to an Unlimited package and saved ~£5pcm.

Yeah!

FuzzyWuzzy

I need to start switching my stuff I think, currently on BT phone line + Zen Active broadband (£25/month) + Sky TV (£60/month). Can’t get fibre yet though and need a decent broadband connection (latency) for occasional gaming 🙁

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What should I be paying for my broadband?’ is closed to new replies.