Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What should I be googleing? Large shallow gully drain for bike wash area in deck
  • Premier Icon dogbone
    Subscriber

I want to have a bike wash area next to the outside tap. Area is to be decked but dont want to have mud washed onto deck. I was hoping for a shallow gully drain 1.5m x 0.5m ish but struggling to know what to hunt for.

Any ideas? I’m thinking getting someone to fabricate one would be a rather expensive.

Large shallow gully drain for bike wash area in deck

This seems to bring up some useful results.

swdan

Do you mean something like a Aco channel? (Other channel drains available) or have I misunderstood?

Premier Icon dogbone
    Subscriber

Most channel gullies are about 130mm wide (I’m not certain if they can be used side by side rather than the usual end on). I’m after something 500mm (ish) deep. So that most of the bike stands on the wash area.

nickewen

Watching with interest as I am after something like this!

Shower tray?

APF

Premier Icon ads678
    Subscriber

Just create a sumped area where you can stand the bike and wash it, have a longitudinal gradient to one end where the water can drain away, or dish it to the middle and have a gully there.

Premier Icon dogbone
    Subscriber

Area is decked. I could create a raised drained concrete area which would be flush with decking but wanted metal / galvanised.

joshvegas

@perchy

We need you.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

If it’s decking, like a patio but made of wood, why not just let the water drain through it and soak away into the ground?

tewit

Animal feed trough?

Premier Icon dogbone
    Subscriber

If it’s decking, like a patio but made of wood, why not just let the water drain through it and soak away into the ground?

It’s concrete / broken ground beneath. The mud would just sit there and keep the bearers damp (and eventually fill up the gap). There really is a reason why I want it the way I’ve described it.

I did look at feed troughs but the ones I saw were too deep / narrow.

@perchy

We need you.

Doubt it. 😉

I’d lift the decking and form the drainage in concrete.

The OP doesn’t seem to want that though so my best suggestion would be an aluminium flashing folded to the size you require, like a valley gutter on a profiled metal roof.

Any sheet metal roofing supplier will fold one to your  sizes and you can screw it to the underside of the decking.

Where is the water going to end up? There needs to be a drain somewhere?

Premier Icon dogbone
    Subscriber

There is an unused gully next to spot I want to use.

Looking for a wide ACO style drain with mud trap, flush the decking. I’ll see if I can run them parallel.

Premier Icon tillydog
    Subscriber

ACO box channel goes up to ~800mm wide (several sizes below that too). Has grids and silt traps, etc. to suit.

https://www.buildingdrainage.aco/products/collect/floor-drainage/channels/aco-box-channel/aco-vinyl-box-channel-standard-size/

(Stainless, etc. also available.)

Doesn’t look cheap though.

Premier Icon singletrackmind
    Subscriber

Edwardian free standing Bath tub and a bike stand. Double use, wash filthy bikes or ge t jiggy with you other half Al fresco

taxi25

Wrong thread.

Premier Icon bigblackshed
    Subscriber

Do you need to plough a furrow up through your muddy gully to enable adequate drainage for your dirty discharge?

Premier Icon dogbone
    Subscriber

Confused person is confused.

(Thanks Tilly)

Premier Icon nickdavies
    Subscriber

Wasn’t there a thread on here a while back detailing someone doing exactly this at the bottom of their garden?

Premier Icon krixmeister
    Subscriber

French drain?

Premier Icon fossy
    Subscriber

Move the bike onto the lawn, then hose off there for the mud to drop off. Clean rest on patio/decking/driveway.

I always shove the bike on the lawn at the side of the house and hose off first. Blooming pain clearing it off patio/drive.

My son was told to park on the road when he came back from Wales Rally in his car – wash it up stream of the grid. He then had to hose down the road there was that much mud.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.