Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What short travel, abusable, 650b, non-boost frame?
  • Premier Icon jamesfts
    Free Member

Looking for a frame to swap bits between my hardtail (Nukeproof Scout) to build a fun local thrashing about bike.

Needs to be 650b, ideally non-boost, 120-140mm travel but take a bigger fork, and ideally geometry towards enduro rather than xc but happy to mess around with angle/reach adjusting headsets and offset bushes etc.

So far Orange Four and Transition Scout are all I can come up with remotely along the right lines. Any better ideas?

Premier Icon kiwijohn

V3 Banshee Spitfire?

Premier Icon chestrockwell

Early Santa Cruz 5010?

Premier Icon bikerevivesheffield

When did 140mm become short travel

Premier Icon jamesfts
    Free Member

Will have a look at the Banshee, 5010 probably a bit on the expensive side.

120-140mm for me is short travel compared to my current bikes (both bikes I’ve mentioned here are 120mm I think) this may not be the case for you and that’s cool too.

Premier Icon idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

1st Gen Bird Aeris?

Premier Icon sharkattack
    Free Member

When did 140mm become short travel

When 150mm became average.

Premier Icon tomhoward

Early Santa Cruz 5010?

Came here to suggest that.

Premier Icon ayjaydoubleyou
    Free Member

Used Bird 120?
    Gives you a 66.5 head angle with a 140 fork. Suitably enduro/long in a given size.
    Get one that’s less than two years old and the warranty transfers over.

Will need a hub conversion kit, as it’s 148 spacing though

Premier Icon zerocool
    Free Member

Calibre Bossnut

Premier Icon chakaping

Have a look at the old Kona process 134.

It’ll be heavy and it won’t pedal very well, but they were long for their time with low seat tubes, so you could probably size up and stick a -2deg headset in.

Definitely meets the “abusable” bit of your brief and they are great fun to ride (well, my old p111 and p153 were anyway).

Also, did Whyte do a non boost t130? There are millions of those about, aren’t there?

Premier Icon riklegge

Transition scout? It’s boost but then so are a couple of the others mentioned. I’ve got one and am running it with boost adapters on the back.

Premier Icon submarined
    Free Member

With almost exactly the same brief I bought an Aeris 120 from Bird (they may still have some)
    Feels pretty good so far, but a bit like it could do with a degree or so off the HA and a few degrees on the seat. Which I think is basically what the Aether 7 is.
    But with the seat slammed right forward, and an angleset I reckon it’ll be pretty close. I haven’t given it enough rides to really’get’ it yet, but I’m quite liking it so far.

It is boost though, but 20 quid for a conversion kit for my pro4 and I haven’t given it a second thought since.

If be wary of an older Whyte, one of the main reasons I got the Aeris is because I was sick to the back teeth of the woeful tyre clearance on my 901!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.