Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • What short travel 29er trail bike?
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

i love my smuggler

snotrag

Snotrag – can I ask how tall you are? I sat on a large Stage 6 and it felt pretty long (I’m 6’2 with long arms and legs).

I’m 5ft 10, not that tall but I have quite a long body. 125mm dropped slammed, just fits me right, and a 35mm Stem.

Slightly related, orange Segment ?

The Segment is the predecessor to the Stsge 4, its a few years old. Stage 4 changed quite a bit, Geo, Bigger shock, thin wall sheet etc.
    I built my Stage 4 for around that price, so I wouldn’t want to pay that for something quite outdated (not that there is anything wrong with it, still a nice bike!).

chakaping
    Free Member

Smuggler pedals OK, but the Stage 4 goes like a scalded rat by comparison – and is notably lighter too.

I owned a Smuggler with both Monarch and Cane Creek shocks and loved it, but it wouldn’t be my choice for flat South East England trails.

cokie

The Norco Fluis FS1 looks very good value and has the right geometry.
    Here’s a thread on it.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Orbea Occam TR would be a good pick.

What about the 120mm forked version of the Canyon Lux – takes two water bottles.

Very efficient, very fast XC full suspension bike.
    Don’t have a Canyon bike – but the new Lux seems to be fantastic!

chiefgrooveguru

The SBG Smuggler should pedal better than the original one – not just from the steeper seat angle but the pivot positions have moved giving it more anti-squat (it’s now the same as most good pedalling bikes).

chakaping
    Free Member

Perhaps, but it’s also got heavier at the same time… so I’m not budging on its unsuitability for the OP..

😛

flange
    Free Member

Again – thanks everyone for the suggestions, all welcome and appreciated.

I don’t think I’ve ever deliberated so much over a purchase, I’m normally one of those that just goes in and buys the first thing he sees (and regrets it), maybe it’s age catching up with me.

So this morning I’ve been looking at a cheap Carbon Tallboy 3, a Commencal 29 Tr and a Fuel EX…and I’ve bought nothing.

Will have a look at the Norco and also revisit the Smuggler. I’ve looked at Canyon but anything I want has a stupid long lead time on it and frankly I’m just not that patient!

weeksy

and I’ve bought nothing.

Why not ? What didn’t you like ? or just needing a bit more thought ?

thepurist

I’m trying to ride all of these to see which one(s) just feel “right”.  Not easy for a lot of them what with them being direct sales and all that, and potentially expensive for others with places asking 75-90 quid for a demo ride.

cokie

Yeah, that’s the biggest issue for me.
    Most of the bikes listed here require a payment to test ride, other’s just aren’t available to test ride anywhere. It leaves you in the dark even though you have a potential £3.5k to spend.

duncancallum

Ktm scarp?

Nice xc 29er?

Kryton57

You’d best not look at the Yeti’s on Silverfish clearance site….

https://www.silverfish-uk.com/products/featuredsection/c

😀

jet26
    Free Member

Had a demo ride on a scarp – had to check it didn’t have an engine. Lightening fast climbing and on twisty single-track. Encourages you push hard. Not as good as others on the downs though – felt a bit twitchy.

If speed and climbing were a priority would be a great bike, fastest thing I’ve ever ridden.

dickie
    Free Member
    pop-larkin
    Free Member

Ive recently acquired a carbon tallboy 3 ex demo for £2,6k and its a great bike- Ive had a smuggler, spearfish and horsethief before and the rear feels much plusher without the bob you can experience. Just got to get over the fact that nearly everyone has a Santa Cruz when you go to a trail centre which upsets my inner niche whore

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Ay Ay Ay!! £1800!

Hahaha.
    1.8 k for such an ugly beast….

flange
    Free Member

Why not ? What didn’t you like ? or just needing a bit more thought ?

A good question – Tallboy, its the cost really. Still an expensive bit of kit. Commencal is down to the weight, Trek Fuel EX 8 – nobody has one in stock. Current fav is the tallboy and it’ll be beans on toast for the rest of the month!

As to Yeti – I’ve had 6 Yeti’s and I’ve just come to the conclusion I don’t get on with them (apart from the 4x but that doesn’t count). The Sb95c was the worst bike I’ve ever had and it ruined a trip to the Alps for me (I realise I’m probably on my own here)

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

3.4 k
    in stock?
    not long and slack (what you like!)

below 12 kg !!!

LUX CF SL 8.0

This bike will be – of course – very, very differnt from the Chameleon.

XC Race machine instead of long and slack fun hardtail…
    Which doesn’t mean that “fast” isn’t fun!

chakaping
    Free Member

Kona Hei Hei another option?

I’ve had 6 Yeti’s and I’ve just come to the conclusion I don’t get on with them

At least you gave it a proper go.

😀

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘What short travel 29er trail bike?’ is closed to new replies.