Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • What shoes to replace Sidi Dominators
  • Waderider
    Free Member

In short please recommend me a SPD shoe based on the below!

I was a bit of an XC rider, probably best described now as settled into middle age and favouring big days out on natural trails in the highlands. I live near Fort Bill so I either seem to be on rocky trails or taking my bike for hike a bike across bogs.

My last couple of pairs of shoes have been Sidi Dominators, but I could probably tolerate a wee bit more heft to suit my portage habits. My main MTB is a full suspension Trek Superfly for reference – I’m not very gnarly and have two eyes on weight!

Any shoe recommendations gratefully received, based on the above.

Last pair of Sidis killed on the Cia-Aig to Cam Bealach loop descent to Loch Lochy….lots of bog trotting made the sole fall off!

Waderider
    Free Member

Bump. This placed ain’t what it used to be!

qwerty
    Free Member

Shirley any rigid soled shoe won’t have a lengthy lifespan if hike a biking over rocks & bog. Maybe something like the Giro Terraduro may be more suited to your riding. Supposed to be a great UK 3 season shoe. Dominators are / were a courier / race shoe, no?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    linusr

I agree with @Qwerty about stiff soled shoes. I use Dominators for autumn and spring rides on road and on rough stuff where I will be riding almost all of the time. They are great shoes (on my third pair in 20 years) but for anything more than occasional trots on foot the soles are going to be wrecked. Most of the more challenging off-road riding I now do with Five Ten Freeriders with big DMR flat pedals. I got two pairs of Freeriders, one like the Dominators with no mesh for colder, wetter days and one pair with mesh vents for warmer weather. There’s good grip on the pedals and walking is ok. I also use a cheap pair of Karrimor lace-up walking shoes (£35) for some rides.

Waderider
    Free Member

Ta folks. Going to nip into Nevis cycles tomorrow and see what they stock. Shimano ME7 on the radar.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘What shoes to replace Sidi Dominators’ is closed to new replies.