Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • what shifter for 2 chain rings at the front
  • scu98rkr
    Free Member

Hi I want to move to 2 chainrings at the front

I’ve tried my current 3 x shifter and doesnt seem quite right just not “wide enuff”

remuse I need a 2 x shifter will this one do

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=52300

if not any suggestions

scu98rkr
    Free Member

or do I need to change front mech

tomhoward

Any should work? Did you adjust the limit screws on the front mech? Are the rings in the right place?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scu98rkr
    Free Member

dunno I have 9 seed at the back

a standard 3 x 9 mech and a 3 x 9 shifter

should I be able to get that combo to work with a 2 seed front chhainring

tomhoward

Yeah.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

maybe I just need to lay with it some more the front mech just doesnt seem to move enough ie the distance between the 2 ring seems greater than on a 3 ring set. is this right or should it be the same distance.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

ok cheers will get back in the garage

ta

Simpsan
    Free Member

I’m using a SRAM X0 3 speed shifter coupled with a 9speed chain and a 10 speed xt front derailleur.
    It’s all working flawlessly. The Shifter is in positions 1 and 2, the pull in 2 to 3 is shorter and hence doesn’t pull enough cable

theotherjonv

I found a double front derailleur is well worth the investment, but I can make it work perfectly with a triple shifter. There was a thread on recently (look at my profile and threads I’ve been contributing to and it’ll take you to it) – end result being that it seems to work best using the middle and outer shift positions rather than inner and middle.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

ah good idea john will try that ta.

FieldMarshall

IIRC from another recent thread, a 3 speed shifter seems to work better in positions 2 & 3 with a dedicated 2 ring chainset, but Ive always found a 3 speed shifter works best in positions 1 & 2 with a 3 ring chainset setup with just two rings ie granny and middle ( the latter is obvious but illustrates the difference)

So depends on whether you are trying to set it up with a modified triple chainset or a proper double.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘what shifter for 2 chain rings at the front’ is closed to new replies.