Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • What shape head do you have?
  • Caher

Whilst Ukraine, the furnace and Boris’ stand-in are important I broke away to walk to my Barber where I was lectured on the correct haircut for a square head. Quite an unexpected discussion with a lady from Ukraine (the hair cutter).
    So do you know your head shape? I’m going to need a new helmet too.

jeffl

Giro shaped for me.

Yak

Giro/TLD/Bonty. Not specialized.

pondo

Long compared to the width.

binners

I have a head like a large, particularly misshapen baked spud

Discussion of haircuts is academic as there’s more hair in your average urinal

I wear Bell helmets. Nothing else fits properly

Singletrack Reader Awards - Most Desirable Mountain Bike: Atherton AM 150

Singletrack Reader Awards - Most De...
    Singletrack Video Archive: Singletrack Reader Awards - Most Desirable Mountain Bike: Atherton AM 150
    thisisnotaspoon

Bell/Giro/661 64cm.

Tall at the front but big all over. So most helmets put pressure on my forehead somewhere just above the hairline. Could probably say longer front/back and narrower, but that would imply helmets fit front/back with baggy sides, they don’t, they just perch on top putting pressure on a couple of points.

I’ve not been able to find a baseball hat to fit since I was about 12.

withersea
    Free Member

Similar to Binners – spud like – but XXL spud. 62.5cm and I need a longish helmet front to back, so I am generally a TLD or Giro, but I’ve also found that Endura fit as well.

I first realised I was a head oddity when I sent to get ny first cub scout hat and they had to go to the back room to find one that would fit my head!

richardkennerley

Same as Pondo. Current Giro helmet actually fits quite well, but I usually have to size up to get it on my head length ways, but then it’s a loose fit everywhere else and looks like a mushroom!

dc1988

Bell work for me, Lazer definitely do not.

OP, are there many shapes of head?

Markie

Melon shaped. Or maybe pumpkin.

spannermonkey

61.5cm Long oval 🙁

Currently in a Bell 4Forty XL, but the search will continue for something with a better fit/shape.

Have tried quite a few over the years & currently debating whether I CBA doing it all again for a Full Face

Caher

OP, are there many shapes of head?

Didn’t know it was a thing until Barber mentioned it.

shermer75
    Free Member

Davesport

Misshapen xl baked potato with a variety of bulges, dents & scars from skateboarding & a childhood rta. Fox Flux & Speedframe seem to fit perfectly. If you’ve ever seen the movie “Coneheads” you’ll know what I’m on about :o)

jimmy748

61Cm Fox & Arai shaped, Giro good, Bell Ok.

binners

During lockdown, when you couldn’t go to a shop and try owt on, I ordered a Planet X Carnac one and when I tried it on it felt like it had been designed for another species

thisisnotaspoon

61.5cm Long oval 🙁

Currently in a Bell 4Forty XL, but the search will continue for something with a better fit/shape.

Have tried quite a few over the years & currently debating whether I CBA doing it all again for a Full Face

You’re slightly smaller than mine but I’m in a 4forty as well.

Have a look at 661 Full Face’s, they seem to use two different head shapes as one of their Full Faces has a comedically small opening, the other is a perfect fit. A bit like their conventional helmets I think there’s some in their range that are 57-62 and some 58-63 (or something in that sort of range/difference), but they’re nothing like the same shapes.

Giro/Bell/661 are all the same company, hence why they all fit the same if you find the same size ranges.

bikerevivesheffield

@dc1988 that’s weird as they are both super comfortable for me

ernielynch
    Free Member

Due to my Frankish ancestry I have what would be described as a square head. Which I have always felt would suit a nazi helmet.

sharkattack

Bowling ball.

Perfectly formed but big and heavy.

NJA

Another big head here 64cm – Currently Giro, but the Specialized S works helmets fit me well to. Not the normal Specialized ones though.

chrisdw
    Free Member

alien

Caher

Blimey chrisdw, you’d need a Giro airohead for your bonce.

matt_outandabout

redthunder
    Free Member

Mine is beautiful 🙂

I spend most days just being beautiful 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Giro, with a dent in the back of it.

RustySpanner

Kask shaped.

ayjaydoubleyou

Bell/Giro/661 64cm.

Its odd how you can be both Bell and Giro when I am very much a Giro. (and Endura).

Had a Bell Super 2R, bought for the purpose of lightweight FF, tried it on and everything. Never really gave it much thought to try in open mode. Despite my perserverance due to the cost compared to my finances at the time, it never fit me as an open face.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just bought a “Bell Sixer MIPS Helmet matte/gloss black (Head circumference XL | 61-65cm)” after my last Met(?) got stolen. I had forgotten how nice it was to have a helmet that actually fitted comfortably. It sits on y head with all sides touching and neither pinches nor flaps at any point.

Most helmets sit on my head like Oblix

Caher

oh, go on then, gotta ask… how did your helmet get stolen? Were you wearing it at the time?

blitz

Bell helmet shaped and quite small at 55cm ish. Can often get good deals though!

Defo not giro or 661 which I’ve tried as punts and passed on to my wife as she’s liked them (but doesnt like bell).

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Builders Bucket. Its actually a size up North

mrb123
    Free Member

I have a bean head (seems to work with Kask)

thisisnotaspoon

Its odd how you can be both Bell and Giro when I am very much a Giro. (and Endura).

Had a Bell Super 2R, bought for the purpose of lightweight FF, tried it on and everything. Never really gave it much thought to try in open mode. Despite my perserverance due to the cost compared to my finances at the time, it never fit me as an open face.

As I said, there’s definitely two different lasts in their range (are they called lasts? like the shoe sizes, but for heads). One is fine, one is comedically off for me. The 4forty seems to be identical shape to the old Xen and E2 MTB, Foray Road, and 661 Comp full face. I’m sure I tried the Super too and couldn’t even get my head in!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.