Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • What shall we talk about today? PIES!
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m torn between the study about brown fat on the BBC site from yesterday and the BF%’s of different Olympic athletes.

yunki
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

Fat and the amount found in Pies.

binners

lets just talk about pies. Yesterday I had a chicken, ham asparagus pie from Westmorland services farm shop. It was possibly the best pie Ive ever eaten

Should I start a separate pie-based thread, or am I ok to mention it on this one?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Nope, we can do pies today. I had a cheese slice on Friday.. does that count?

It was a good un. So greasy the bag it came in went see through. Had to wash it down with a tub of B&J Apple Crumble ice cream.

brakes
    Free Member

a bit left of field, but connected, and certainly as relevant as a cheese slice, I had an M&S Raspberry Pie at the weekend which was very very good.
    as I am working from home over the Olympic period, I may try a local pie from one of the many pie purveyors of Crouch End.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Sausage rolls for me …you need to make your own pies as a vegan from natural ingredients…i am sure TSY approves….perhaps not in terms of taste.

binners

OOOOOOOOOOOH HOW EXCITING!!!! I’ve just looked on their website, and on the first page is a picture of the very pie. Big chunks of chicken and chunky fresh ham with ‘spargus on top

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. There really is a ridiculous variety of awesome looking pies there

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Any of you Northern lot been to this http://www.porkpieclub.com/

I’m tempted to do a ‘fetch’ from down here and pay them a visit.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I live in Nidderdale. Weatherhead’s (bottom of Pateley high street) Pork and Sweet Chili. All other Pies are false idols.

Thread Closed. Please return to your homes.

chakaping
    Free Member

Binners – Those look a lot like the pies from the Artisan bakery in Staveley Mill Yard (by Wheelbase).

Best pies I’ve ever eaten.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I think some of you need to read the rules regarding Pie Appreciation.

You can’t just say it’s the best… you need to comment on the quality of the pastry, the subtlety of the seasoning and the slimeyness of the jelly.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

i had a bridie at the weekend – which is sort of pie’ish
    the epic saddlers special forfar bridie. lightly spiced mince and steak. light crumbly pastry. simply the best.

Kirrimuir-born JM Barrie, author of Peter Pan, knew about bridies, giving them a place in his novel Sentimental Tommy, when Tommy’s homesick mother recalls it as a ‘sublime kind of pie’ that is offered to visitors at grander houses on Hogmanay.

Made to the traditional method, bridies have a high meat content, which makes them more expensive than many other styles of pie. In the heart of Aberdeen Angus country, people reckon lots of meat is essential

z1ppy

Binners, where the pastry on top? That a tart, not a pie ffs!

Grrrr and that a pasty, take it to your own thread! 😯

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

They look good. Sort of like a pasty but bigger… where are they from?

bikebouy
    Free Member

GOOD THREAD & good choice there..

Saturday eve I had a very tasty Blue Cheese and Celery Pie at the Belgian House (Oly Belgian Cycling open house in That London) of which I have to say scored a very healthy: 9/10 for appearance, 9/10 for taste, 8/10 for crumblyness, 8/10 for time it took to eat. Then beer with the head knocked off..
    We got very drunk.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

TSY – Forfar,
    z1ppy – why? cause pies can’t compete against the awesomeness of the mighty bridie?

z1ppy

cause simply “it’s not a pie”, admittedly it’s better than the tart pictured above it.. it does look awesome. 😀

binners

chakaping – its very likely they are indeed one of the same.

Binners, where the pastry on top? That a tart, not a pie ffs!

The asparagus was on top of the pastry and encased in a lovely jelly. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. The pastry was on the very edge of falling apart, and crumbled satisfyingly as you bit into it. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I’m bloody starving now. Anything is going to be an anticlimax after that though 🙁

honeybadgerx

The only thing making my trip from Edinburgh to the Midlands every weekend bearable is Westmorland Services pies. Mmm pies….

I’m a particular fan of a slice of the Wensleydale one (pork on the bottom, whole grain mustard, then Wensleydale, then Chicken), though had a nice pork and stilton one topped with caramelised onion chutney the other week.

spchantler
    Free Member

pies for eyes, pies for eyes! never mind back to work… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIW9sL-Yf6Q

spchantler
    Free Member
    BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

cause simply “it’s not a pie”

<ahem> see my post, according to JM Barrie, not just a pie, but a

sublime kind of pie

Still, I concede that, although the ingredients are there, there may be some debate regarding the general non-pie shape. But anything that includes this word

asparagus

is simply not, under any circumstances, a pie. It’s quiche, and as we all know

IHN

Yesterday the little lady made the Hairy Bikers’ lamb, feta, aubergine and filo pastry pie. It was an excellent pie.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

IHN – I’m going to wait until BBSB gives his verdict on whether or not that’s a pie…

IHN

Well, it was predominantly meat based and entirely encased in pastry (albeit it funny flaky greek pastry), so, in my eyes, that’s a pie.

And I’m picky about my pies; don’t get me started on those ‘pies’ you get in pubs that are actually a casserole with a ‘puff pastry lid’ 👿

binners

It was most definitely not a quiche! Anyway: I had an Aberdeen Angus pie with it, just to make sure. And that was definitely a pie.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

oh good lord no and for the following obvious reasons

feta, aubergine and filo pastry

And I’m picky about my pies; don’t get me started on those ‘pies’ you get in pubs that are actually a casserole with a ‘puff pastry lid’

quite

z1ppy

And I’m picky about my pies; don’t get me started on those ‘pies’ you get in pubs that are actually a casserole with a ‘puff pastry lid’

+1

Binners is now forgiven, if there pastry under the asparagus 😉
    Nowt wrong with asparagus or a good quiche.

IHN

“Binners eats qui-iche, Binners eats qui-iche, Binners eats qui-che….”

🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

So is it ok to eat a quiche if you put a pastry topping on it?

IHN

oh good lord no, and for the following obvious reasons

It was a pie. It was from a book of pie recipes, from a pair of men who, lets be honest, are no stranger to a pie or three. So, with the greatest of respect, you’re wrong.

So is it ok to eat a quiche if you put a pastry topping on it?

Of course it is, because then it’s a cheese and onion pie.

We’re a contrary lot, we pie people 🙂

binners

Yes because technically its no longer a quiche. I really like my mums bacon, Tasty Lancs and Broadbean quiche, but its not a pie, is it?! 😛

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve never eaten a quiche… I just have bacon and egg open pies on the odd occasion.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

If youu scrape all the crap out, fill it with dead animal, preferably mechanically recovered, and ideally about 50/50 meat/grease content THEN cover it with pastry, you’d nearly be there

loum
    Free Member

Had a half-time pie yesterday.
    They taste good.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

So, with the greatest of respect, you’re wrong.

With the greatest of respect, i live quite near TJ so am protected by his cape of always rightness no matter how wrong I am.

So there.

IHN

If youu scrape all the crap out, fill it with dead animal, preferably mechanically recovered, and ideally about 50/50 meat/grease content THEN cover it with pastry, you’d nearly be there

Ah, SCOTTISH pies, gotcha.

thejesmonddingo

Wakefield has a takeaway pie shop that shuts at 4am on Thurs,Fri and Sat mmmmm heaven

z1ppy

I live quite near TJ so am protected by his cape of always rightness

you canne argue with that :mrgreen:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘What shall we talk about today? PIES!’ is closed to new replies.