Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What shall I do with my broken carbon frame?
  • clubber
    Free Member

I have a broken carbon frame (which has been replaced under warranty).

I’ve already cut out the seat /top tube /seat stay junction for the manufacturer and I had to cut the head tube off to get the bottom headset bearing out but the rest of the frame is intact.

So, what shall I do with it? Any comedy suggestions? I already gave a good go at snapping the top tube with my hands and knee but failed…

kristoff
    Free Member

get a bit creative and make a water feature for the garden.

clubber
    Free Member

You know, I quite like that 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    benji
    Free Member

Pen pot and bookends.

Ambrose

Light pull?

Wind chimes?

landfill?

TooTall
    Free Member

Wall lamp with the any tube upright holding the bulb, coming out of the wall stylee.

rs
    Free Member

as you still haven’t broken the remaining parts, film yourself trying harder to break them, post on the internet so that someone can reference it every time the carbon question comes up.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Which reminds me, I must film carbon frame vs shotgun

Macavity
    Free Member

If you do, watch out for shotgun ricochet

dsb181
    Free Member

Get it on Ebay and just say the damage is “cosmetic”

chief9000
    Free Member

This is actually quite an interesting post when you think of the wider implications. It raises a very good question. There is now considerable use of composites in the cycling industry. Every time a frame comes to the end of its life the owner will ask the same question. so what will happen to all of this carbon waste ?

If it were steel or aluminium it would be easily recycled, however, this carbon stuff is incredibly difficult to get rid of. Some claim that recycling is the way and they claim that processes exist, however in reality this is far from the truth. The real truth is that this type of waste poses a real problem in terms of waste treatment and the environment.

I vote you send the frame back to the manufacturer as its the producers responsibility to get rid of this crap!

thomthumb
    Free Member

trek have/ had a recycling programme. iirc not just trek stuff.

http://road.cc/content/news/57103-trek-pleased-year-carbon-recycling#

but back to OP. I was massively impressed with the creative use of bike stuff at bike village. Chainrings for door handles, brake hanger for a light switch etc. carbon frame though… Could make a lovely wall light?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Have you tried to set fire to it?

chief9000
    Free Member

trek have/ had a recycling programme. iirc not just trek stuff.

http://road.cc/content/news/57103-trek-pleased-year-carbon-recycling#

but back to OP. I was massively impressed with the creative use of bike stuff at bike village. Chainrings for door handles, brake hanger for a light switch etc. carbon frame though… Could make a lovely wall light?

I am aware of this. What many are unaware of is that these recycling processes are extremely limited to what types of waste they can take. Painted items are usually a no no. hence the usual bike waste acnnot be dealt with in this way. The other thing is that there is almost no use for the recovered material and also that recycling this material is more environmentally damaging than other forms of waste disposal.

sparkyrhino

nunchucks

patriotpro
    Free Member

Didgeridoo

johnnystorm

Lightweight xylophone

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Turn it into a bong?

monkeyboyjc

Give the rest to me to make a bamboo bike from ? Seriously…..
    Willing to collect.

BigJohn

Make some little soles to fit under your normal shoes.

Conqueror
    Free Member

viking ship burial

clubber
    Free Member

Some good suggestions 🙂

Monkey boy, if have been happy to help but the seat top tube cluster is gone as is the head tube so it’s probably not worth it.

rickmeister

Turn it into spoons so a well known diy expert can have some genuine cf cutlery for his next build project….

dvatcmark
    Free Member

The bamboo frame could actually be a very interesting project.

maxtorque

Glue it back together, ride it.

Or if not that, glue it back together, then section in longitudinally and mount it to a board as “wall art”

clubber
    Free Member

As I said, there’s a bit already missing…

You’re right though. I should talk to Al. He’d probably like the rear disc mount.

3dvgirl
    Free Member

cut it up and glue it back together, put some shit bits on it, lock it badly.. hide somewhere close and wait for some scrote to steal it, and snap his neck.. 🙂

wwaswas

Whatever you do try not to breathe any dust

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What shall I do with my broken carbon frame?’ is closed to new replies.