What Shadow+ RD for 2×10 FS?

Home Forum Bike Forum What Shadow+ RD for 2×10 FS?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What Shadow+ RD for 2×10 FS?
  • Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

XT medium is what I’m using on most of mine. SLX doesn’t seem that much less good tbh, bushings instead of bearings on the jockey wheels which have never lasted well for me so I’ve stuck with XT for the bikes that get used most.

I used to use a bottom guide but took it off once I got the clutch, doesn’t seem to miss it.

Superficial

Yeah, although they are direct mount they still come with the small link plate to attach to a standard dropout as well. It might be worth double-checking with the retailer but I’m sure that’s right.

The one you want is ‘GS’ which actually means long cage in Shimano-speak, as opposed to SGS (‘super’ long). The cage on the SS (available for Zee / Saint) is too short for 2x. Choose your price SLX / XT / XTR.

STATO

what wisdom can the STW collective brain offer?

Use the search function?

2hrs ago…

Premier Icon mrelectric
    Subscriber

Cheers all.
    Looks like XT med cage should do well. E70 from http://www.bike-discount.de/

Thanks Stato; I’d seen that (I always search 1st); useful but not the whole picture for me. I’ll look again at the other threads for updates though.

Premier Icon mrelectric
    Subscriber

Finally trashed the original X0 RD on my Canyon Nerve 2011 with a full cage wraparound (after changing the chain). No other vehicles or fixed obstacles were involved… 😥

Running:
    2×10 RF Next cranks with original X0 shifters; hoping this will run for longer…
    MRP G2 chain device & bash. If I could lose the jockey wheels that it’d be one less expensive part to replace, again.
    Original XX 11-36T cassette seems OK; it is hard wearing.

I want the low profile of the Shadow and like reports of the clutch. Looking to balance performance with strength for AM riding so not sure XTR (at 2x price) would be best. I’m assuming the RD direct mount will fit the std QR rear axle & replaceable dropout.

I’m looking at XT M786 medium cage….what wisdom can the STW collective brain offer?

David

Premier Icon mrelectric
    Subscriber

Hi all,
    So got a RD-M786 CS from CRC. Question is now is the X0 10sp shifter incompatible with this Shimano RD?

Fitted new (Gore) cables. No installation instructions but there is some info on the web; its straightforward once you see that the angle on on the B-link is so that it butts up to the hanger flange.

Messed on for ages with limit & B screws but still can NOT get cable movement wide enough for chain to stay on the largest (36T) cog and shift down to the smallest (11). This is regardless of large or small front chain ring. Might take off chain guide wheels too but pretty sure its a cable issue.

Is the X0 10sp shifter range incompatible with this Shimano RD?

Premier Icon mrelectric
    Subscriber

Double post

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

So got a RD-M786 CS from CRC. Question is now is the X0 10sp shifter incompatible with this Shimano RD?

Yep completely

Premier Icon jasonm945
    Subscriber

Yes they are incompatible, you’ll either need a SRAM type 2 mech like this or shimano 10 speed shifters…

Jay

Premier Icon mrelectric
    Subscriber

Cheers Mike.
    But that is an “Oh b*gger.” moment.
    So need to swap at least the RH shifter. Whats on a par with X0 then?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

mrelectric wrote:

Cheers Mike.
    But that is an “Oh b*gger.” moment.
    So need to swap at least the RH shifter. Whats on a par with X0 then?

XO is on par with XO 😉 sweetest shifting after my X0 Grips 🙂

It generally sits between XT and XTR IMHO what was wrong with swapping for an X9 Type 2 mech?

wl

Pointless spending a fortune on XTR etc IMO – rear mechs are too vulnerable unless you only ride smooth trails. I’m totally happy with my XT shadow+ medium.

Premier Icon mrelectric
    Subscriber

Mike,
    Yes, really like the X0.
    When the X0 RD was trashed, figured Shadow & clutch was the way to go.

WL, yes that why didn’t go XTR. Its rocky in West Yorks. Now the rear gear cable takes the pain…

There is the clamp clap shim mod that I could try:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/clutch-mech-with-9-speed-does-it-really-work
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/9-speed-sram-shifter-with-a-shimano-10-speed-clutch-rear-mech-will-it-work
    http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=148662

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

mrelectric – Member – Quote
    Mike,
    Yes, really like the X0.
    When the X0 RD was trashed, figured Shadow & clutch was the way to go.

Well the advice I always got was nice shifters are worth more than a nicer mech. Just send the shimano back and get a type2 X9. Bastardising the X0 to run a shimano seems like the worst of both worlds.
    Having tried some SLX mechs recently you will be very disappointed if you go that far from X0. The XT might be better but I didn’t really like the layout of the shimano shifter.

wl

I’m in West Yorks too. Upgrading from Sram mechs because they seem to last two minutes round here compared to Shadows.

banks
    Premier Icon mrelectric
    Subscriber

I tried all practcial size of spacers on the cable point on the Shimano but could not get the range that I needed in top & bottom ring. An extension bar that made the arc longer might do it but that would be too much.

Swapped out this Shadow+ for an X0 Type II and everything is fine now.
    Shifting is fantastic and worked first time. It is more exposed to rocks than the Shadow but fitted one of those M-part protectors to the axle quick release which helps.

Did have to replace the XX cassette tho as the big ring 36t was worn. Replacements for the ring is another thread…..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What Shadow+ RD for 2×10 FS?’ is closed to new replies.