What services would you cut?

Home Forum Chat Forum What services would you cut?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What services would you cut?
  • tails

Libraries and Sports centres.

richcc

I'm with Alistair Campbell – Let's withdraw charity status from Public Schools.

cranberry

Given that people who send their children to private schools generally pay far more towards the state system than those that don't and that in sending their children to be privately educated they cause no burden on the state system – wouldn't that just be a petty act of spite ?

trailmonkey

armed forces ( withdrawal from Afghanistan included ) and the royal family

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

The most expensive – wars

We can afford everything else.

Inbred456

Foreign Office and Embassy staff.
    Regional development Agencies.
    Foreign Aid.
    Offsted.
    Just for starters!

iDave

charity status from religious organisations

bin things such as 'transgender awareness' workshops – yes they exist

put a 5% tax on investment banking transactions

fuel tax on aviation fuel

go after corporate tax evasion properly

cycle lanes

avdave2

I've said it before on another thread but scrap car tax and put up the taxes on fuel, the resources for collecting it already being in place. It saves all the resources that are used to run the system and those used to pursue those who evade it.It's not avoidable and therefore all who drive pay and it reflects the resources you are consuming. I can't really see a decent argument against it. I realize that it will lead to redundancies but so will any other option.

richcc

Go after personal tax evasion too,

People like Uncle Bob

"One of the last noted stories concerns Bob Geldof, the rock star and Third World debt campaigner, who has been recently accused by newspapers of claiming Irish residency to avoid Inheritance Tax. Bob Geldof is an Irish citizen who is living in two properties in England. One of these properties, a luxury apartment in South London, is reported to be owned by a company called Quiet Ventures, the second one, located in Kent, is owned by Bandol Holdings. Both are offshore companies, registered in the British Virgin Islands but having London contact addresses.

Geldof is accused of avoiding payment of £2.25m, by saying that he lives in Ireland. Geldof being a non-domiciled taxpayer, the houses, which are together worth an estimated £4million, would avoid the normal inheritance tax of 40%, or £1.6million. Geldof himself declined to comment the situation."

* People are dying NOW. Give us the money NOW. Give me the money now.

* **** the address, just give the phone, here's the number… 0800 HMRC

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Bring in Robin Hood Tax and then cuts will be needed.

Aid payments to India and China. (Among others)

If they can fund a space program and massive arms spending, why the blinking flip can't they fund this aid need themselves?

hamishthecat

Regional development Agencies.

Why particularly?

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

wouldn't that just be a petty act of spite ?

I'd expect nothing less from AC.

morpheus

The government is to consult us on what services we should cut.

any ideas ?

canada targeted science and transport in the 90's

Inbred456

I think I'm right, in that not one regional development agency has generated anywhere near in growth what they cost to run to the Tax Payer. They seem a monumental waste of money. Cheaper not to have them.

Premier Icon Coyote
    Subscriber

Foreign Aid. We can't afford it.

twosheds

trafic wardens

TandemJeremy

Defense. all of it. We have no need nor any foreseeable need for a large set of conventional and other forces. Nukes especially.

Cut charitable status on private education by all means – but its tinkering round the edges. Not important.

Outside consultants in public services. Banned! Huge sums of money wasted here – both in the fees and in the bad decisions.

Road budgets – no new roads – they are a waste of time and just clog up with traffic anyway. Building new roads does not stop congestion.

mikertroid

trailmonkey

I shit down your throat! Armed Forces are essential to operate as a 1st World nation and Royalty pay more than they take.

Get rid of the welfare state. Those that don't contribute don't receive. End of.

TandemJeremy

why mikertroid? Really why? What possible justification do we have to go a warmongering all over the world?

FunkyDunc

Charge for drunks attending A & E

Pull out of Afghanistan

Stop all road building

saxabar

My list/rant:
    – More "aggressive" returns from bank recapitalisation
    – Temporarily tax the hell out of fags and booze [personal whim 1]
    – Raise VAT
    – Government advertising
    – Cut unnecessary tax credits
    – Over 75s TV license
    – Clampdown on benefits abuse and create localised 'work for benefits' scheme (as well as improving the environment, the feckless are less likely to vandalise their own work, and perhaps take more pride? For those truly in a bind, it is better to have the regularity of work than be at home)
    – Don't know enough about about the NHS to offer meaningful comments, but I've not heard anyone calling for more bureaucracy
    – I'm sure money can be skimmed from the military, but I would like to see more investment in psyops (psychological operations) and closer links between universities and middle east cultures experts (also area for direct funding)
    – Cut the international development fund, although conflict prevention may be a useful pot to enhance funding for
    – Personal whim 2: if the government are going to claim that it was never a right for government to support students through university, I'd like to see this backdated in the form of a gradate tax to those who were completely subsidised and earning over X (£40,000?)
    – Not sure I can bring myself to raise the working/pension age!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What services would you cut?’ is closed to new replies.