Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What second hand fs xc bike?
  • sl2000

I’ve had a Bird Aeris 1.5 for a bit. I’m small (63kg / 168cm) and have found it hard work on twistier trails so I’m looking at a change to a 100-120mm xc bike but with the current slacker angles. Almost certainly want 27.5 wheels (although have recently ridden and liked an orange segment). Will be buying second hand. On my list is…

Giant anthem from 2017 or later
    Scott spark 7×0 (maybe plus) also from 2017 or later
    Orange four

What else should I be considering?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Trek Top Fuel? I’ve a 2018 SL frame I’m looking to sell size M..

Clink

Top Fuel steeper ha than most ‘modern’ Xc bikes. Anthem a good shout. Don’t discount the new 29er version – great bike.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I wouldn’t discount the Top Fuel based on the HA though. My missus loves hers and can descent some quite tricky stuff on it (bit more work, but similiar speed to her old coiled Roubion).

CheesybeanZ

Top Fuel steeper ha than most ‘modern’ Xc bikes.

Head angle can be sorted for around £70.00 .

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d be thinking about what you can inspect and buy easily as much as the perfect bike.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Head angle can be sorted for around £70.00

It’s an integrated/bearings in heatube kinda headset, but I guess offset bushings could work?

To be honest, it really doesn’t need it as it just works as a package (her words).

schmiken

I have a Scott Spark 720 that I’m selling…

wors

Anthem.

danreilly
    Free Member

More accurately my medium 2016 Anthem X frame which is being flogged via PM.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

I have a 650b Anthem from 2018. It’s the best xc/trail bike I’ve had, for me it’s a proper keeper. The Maestro system seems to do what Giant designed it for so it climbs well and you can really get on the pedals, but with a 130mm Pike, the slightly burlier giant carbon wheels and nimble feely geometry (not super modern) it’s brilliant fun.

If you’re Newbury/Reading area and fit a Large you’re more than welcome to give it a whirl?

joebristol

What makes that Aeris hardwork – is it the weight,or the length of the travel or something else?

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Had to reply to the comment that the Topfuel wasn’t a modern xc bike or didn’t have a modern head angle.
    The bike companies push for steady change to make your bike seem obsolete. One of the current drives is that a slack head angle is better for the ‘new generation of xc courses’. Sorry but xc courses are not getting markedly harder, they’re just not. World Cup maybe but nationally, no.
    Now think about what you want from an xc bike. You want super fast handling, a great climbing position, and a taught frame that doesn’t waste energy. You do not want a slack trail bike. Please engage your brains before just following the marketing blurb like sheep.
    If you are worried about technical challenges then a dropper post allows your body to move by massive amounts thus totally changing the geometry of your riding position.

slackalice
    Free Member

The above post: + lots 👍

Clink

I stand corrected sir!

I mentioned it as the OP asked for ‘modern slacker angles’ and the Top Fuel doesn’t meet that criteria.

brassneck

Anthem or for a bit more Grrrrr Whyte T-130 .. might be a bit close to the Aeris though.

sl2000

Thanks for all the replies 🙂

Now think about what you want from an xc bike. You want super fast handling, a great climbing position, and a taught frame that doesn’t waste energy. You do not want a slack trail bike.

Some people want that, but it’s not what I’m after.

What makes that Aeris hardwork – is it the weight,or the length of the travel or something else?

I don’t what the cause is. It’s not particularly heavy so can’t be the weight. The problem I’m feeling is that I have to put in loads of effort to go round corners and to pop off drops. I took it to BPW and it was great there – but still required a lot of effort to steer. I’ve come back to MTB’ing after a break so am used to 26″ bikes. I had a 140mm forked hardtail that was both easy to steer and stable. I’ve got an XC hardtail that is a handful (for me) on steeper trails. I’d like some suspension for when I mess up trail features but I don’t need 140mm. Reading the reviews (or marketing blurb) I think a 100mm bike with trail geometry would be great – and the Orange Segment I tried seemed to confirm that.

I’d be thinking about what you can inspect and buy easily as much as the perfect bike.

I’m pretty happy having a bike posted – have bought a few like this now (including the Aeris) and haven’t had any issues.

I have a Scott Spark 720 that I’m selling

Please do treat this as a stealth wanted ad 🙂 I’m after a medium.

If you’re Newbury/Reading area and fit a Large you’re more than welcome to give it a whirl?

A very kind offer – but I’m in Brighton so a bit of a trek to Newbury.

joebristol

So it sounds like you need something a little shorter and steeper than the Aeris 1.5 but not a full on xc bike.

I have an Aeris 145lt and know what you mean about the effort to get the bike tipped into tight corners – you have to ride it really aggressively all the time to get good turn in.

I don’t think you need to go back too far the other way to get what you’re after – I’ve recently got a hardtail for exactly the type of traits you mention – on local trails where the Aeris is a bit much.

I’ve gone for one with a 66 degree headangle / 425mm chainstays / 445mm reach – so all just turned down a bit (140mm fork).

I think a lot of the trail bikes around 120mm / 130mm travel would do what you want – like the Whyte t130 / Aeris 120 / Cube Stereo / Transition Scout / Kona Process 134 etc etc.

Are there any places near you that you could get a few test rides on that sort of bike?

sl2000

Thanks @joebristol – you’re probably right. I had bypassed 130mm bikes as being too similar to the Bird. I’ll see if I can get a ride on one.

johnw1984
    Free Member

FWIW I used to have an Aeris 1.5 and right from the first pedal stroke it felt dead on anything but steep or fast stuff.

Coming from a slightly too small Stumpy, it just took an age to get going. Brilliant pointing downhill though!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’m only selling my Fuel due to an injury. My thoughts on it are for XC racing it’s hard to beat. It’s light, has great handling & possibly the best rear suspension on a bike I’ve ever ridden (I’ve been riding since elastomers were the next best thing). As already pointed out – don’t be sucked in by the markets blurb. Read some reviews, talk to owners (Hi!) & make your own mind up. PM me if you want to know more. FYI I’m in SW London.

johnw1984
    Free Member

If I could get a quick sale of my Spark RC, I would love to buy this 🙂

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2493484/?directtofirstphoto&directtofirstphoto

It’s an XL though, not a medium 🙁

joebristol

Just to add –
    I popped in the Kona Process 134 as a mate has one from a few years back (maybe 2014 / 2015). It’s hilarious on trails that aren’t full on dh – it wants to pop off everything and manuals so easily. Just really fun. I think on steep rough stuff it might be less fun –
    I had 4 or 5 runs down the blues / reds at Black Mountain Cycle centre in the summer and it felt ok, but back to back with my Aeris it felt like riding a hardtail.

I wonder if they’ve now slightly slackened it out and stretched it a bit or if it’s still the same.

I’m Aeris 120lt curious and fancy a go on one, although I’m unlikely to buy one as the 2 bikes I have now cover the bases really well.

I’m the same about the Transition scout – that looks like a good fun bike too.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What second hand fs xc bike?’ is closed to new replies.