Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What seat pack?
  • jimfrandisco
    Free Member

I’m sure it’s been done to death, but couldn’t find a thread so feel free to point me elsewhere.

Trying to decide on seat pack – there’s a few choices the Alpkit koala which looks a little basic/flimsy, Apidura seatpack, Revelate viscacha or the wildcat approach of just the harness used with a dry pack that looks the most flexible option.

None of these are cheap so interested in peoples real experiences – it’s going to be used both on the mountain and road bikes.

cheers

steezysix
    Free Member

I’ve got the smaller Apidura one and it’s been flawless – it’s not seam sealed so I use an Alpkit tapered airlock inside, this also makes packing a lot easier as you can leave the seat pack on the bike and slide the drybag in/out. I’ve no experience with the other ones, tbh I think whichever one you go for will be good…

MadBillMcMad

recently bought the Alpkit koala, along with the inner bag.

Not used yet (Grrrrrr) but happy with it from a looks POV & when strapped on it appears good enough.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Slight hijack: Do these bags not rub annoyingly on the back of your legs?

scotroutes

They are tapered to avoid this.

I’ve been using Viscacha for some time now and can’t really fault it. I do like the harness idea and would consider the Revelate version if I was buying again.

iainc

I have a Revelate one, albeit slightly lower profile Pika model, which doesn’t need as much exposed seatpost.

I use it on cx/tourer and it’s great for B&B overnighters. I also have Ortlieb panniers which I use if more than a night away, or any more kit required, as you cant really get a huge amount in these big seatpacks unless supplementing them with frame and bar bags.

Never found leg rub as the width is all behind saddle

jameso

Wildcat is the best of a few I’ve used, by far. A lot more stable when riding off road. For road use a koala would be fine but I’d still want a drybag inside.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

They are tapered to avoid this.

Hmm. I’ve found small seat packs on my road bike to give me a problem with this before and I’m not convinced these wouldn’t be worse!

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Wildcat seems a lot of cash for just the harness, but its all a moot point as that and the alpkit koala are out of stock anyway.
    Revelate looks great but comes at a price (£129!)

Need something in the next few weeks so fingers crossed the Apidura is in stock.
    cheers all
    Jim

scrumfled
    Free Member

I’ve had one of these now for about 6 months. It does the job and delivery was pretty quick.

Uraltour Saddle Pack V1

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve the Wildcat one. Only used it once just to see how it handled. This was on a 133Km ride on the mountain bike and I didn’t really notice it was there. They aren’t designed for solid, heavy items, best for things like sleeping bag and spare clothes which will mold in to the shape of the enclosing harness.

I use a Carradice SQR seat pack for commuting and on-road touring when I’m stopping at B&Bs, that’s 15L capacity from memory whereas the Wildcat/dry bag combo is 8L or thereabouts so you probably need another bag unless you are going really lightweight – I’ve a half-frame bag for the heavier stuff.

iainc

^^^^ I used to have a Carradice SQR and used it similarly, and found the capacity pretty much perfect for B&B’s. The Revelate Pica, as per my previous post, is definitely a bit tight on its own, esp if you want to carry some light shoes for evenings etc. If on cx bike and largely road I now tend to go for the pannier option as less faffing about and tight packing

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What seat pack?’ is closed to new replies.