what sealant for tubs?

Home Forum Bike Forum what sealant for tubs?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • what sealant for tubs?
  • mangatank

What’s a tub? 😕

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

Tubular tyres.

mangatank

The sort of thing you glued onto rims in the old days? I had to Wikipedia them!

This isn’t helping is it? 😉

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

Not really! Thanks anyway 🙂

Edit: Currently thinking the latex bases ones not so good for tubs so looking at the glycol based ones like the Specialized AirLock. Any experience of using it in tubs here?

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

Apologies if it’s been done before, quite a bit of googling and can’t find a decent answer. It’s for a Schwalbe tub that seems to have a very slow leak in it. So what do you use? Thanks.

lightman

I had a small 2oz bottle of Stans that I split between two tubs, one had a small puncture, the other one was fine so just a precaution.
    Punctured tyre has been fine since.
    Im guessing my tubs used latex tubes.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

quite a bit of googling and can’t find a decent answer.

Really? I found various useful stuff – no personal experience, but it looks like some handy links to other discussions at places where people might know better than here.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tubular+sealant

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

Thanks. Just good quite a bit of conflicting advice. Was hoping for an “I used this and didn’t die” sort of response 🙂

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

Bit more digging and it looks like Schwalbe’s own sealant is latex based and they recommend that for their tubs, so I’m just going to pour some stans in there and see how it goes.

leggyblonde

It’s not the latex that buggers the tubes, but the ammonia. Dugast recommend caffe latex as it is ammonia free.

I would still try and keep the tub inflated at all times though to ensure that the sealant doesn’t stick the tube to itself.

TiRed

Tufo Extreme Tyre Sealant in mine

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

Looks like Schwalbe’s own jizz contain ammonia and that’s the one they recommend for their tubs. Weird.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘what sealant for tubs?’ is closed to new replies.