Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • What rule or legislation do you hate the most?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

For me it's the serving suggestion rule that says if you show, say cornflakes in a bowl with milk & a spoon, you have to print 'serving suggestion' over it, what do they think I'm going to do with them, make cakes? 😉
    OK, I'm being flippant, but I have just eaten a packet of nuts that were shown in a bowl with 'serving suggestion' written in the bottom of the picture.

What gets your goat???

IanMunro
    Free Member

Not too sure, now that you've mentioned nuts, it's either packets of nuts saying 'may contain nuts', or bikes having no right of way on footpaths.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

For me it's the serving suggestion rule

If you're bothered by that, try working on a building site which doesn't allow shorts & tee shirts (risk of skin cancer) and requires you to wear long sleeves, long trousers, hi viz, gloves, goggles, ear-defenders, mask, and hard hat, indoors, in summer, in temperature of 30 degrees, just to use a drill – which has to be PAT tested every 3 months even no one ever dies from electrocution from 110 volt power tools.

Two building workers still die every week mind ……

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Not seen the no right of way on footpaths Ian, I thought you wern't supposed to ride a bike on a footpath 😉

ernie, didn't you inadvertently answer your own question?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not really – because most of it is bollox. They take away 'common sense' and introduced pointless rules without any thought – such as PAT testing. And much of it actually makes the situation more dangerous, such as gloves getting caught in power tools, goggles getting misted up because of dust masks, sweat-soaked jeans hindering your movement as you climb scaffolding etc. And then of course, they ignore dangerous stuff like broken glass littering the place 😕

Gooner
    Free Member

planning – policy set by planners but decisions made by small time poloticians that dont understand planning!

fubar
    Free Member

The no singletrackworld.com at work rule.
    It used to be the 'directors only' door but I got out of that place,

stumpyjon

Having to pay taxes and then watch them get squandered 👿 and obviuosly not being allowed to ride my bike on footpaths.

Oh and any law or rule which once enacted doesn't get enforced fully. Thinking of speeding, parking offences, death by dangerous driving. If someone has been caught speeding, fine them, give them points, don't dilute the rule and send them on a couple of hour course. If it's too difficult to enforce a rule, don't enact it. If it's really that important then back it up with massive punitive penalties to act as a deterrant.

Everytime they introduce more unenforceable rules (either practically unenforceable or they haven't got the guts to enforce) they chip away at the public's respect for the rules. People start making up their own mind which rules to obey and which to ignore.

Right off to kill aliens on the Wii before that gets banned too.

(PS I like rules and regulations, I just like everyone else to follow them as well as me)

jonb
    Free Member

You can make nice cakes with cornflakes.

Trimix
    Free Member

I hate all rules as they dont apply to me, but the authorities dont seem to realise this.

Spaceman
    Free Member

The Act of Union 1707

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

They take away 'common sense' and introduced pointless rules without any thought – such as PAT testing. And much of it actually makes the situation more dangerous, such as gloves getting caught in power tools,

I remember asking two old builder chaps I knew…"Hey what happened that chap with the dreads who was working with you the last time I saw you?" "Didn't you hear?" they said, "he got his dreads caught in an heavy duty SDS drill/breaker and pretty much ripped his scalp off the side of his head. They did a good job stitching back on mind, you'd hardly tell!"

Still makes me shudder thinking about it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I hate the one about hunting with hounds. Because it doesn't go as far as me being allowed to pull the red-jacketed cock off his horse and set a pride of lions on him.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

GB/USA Asymmetrical extradition

iDave
    Free Member

any 'rule' or 'law' enforced by a smug, shortarse, retarded, sanctimonious, jobsworth phucker with no regard to the context or circumstances in which his precious rule has been broken

samuri
    Free Member

Planning is certainly winding me up at the moment. It's a **** conservatory, it's only one floor and all our neighbours have said they don't mind you trumped up little nazi.

He even said when he came round 'I don't understand people wanting to expand their houses, I live in a little terrace and we're quite happy there.'

lowey

English and welsh right of way

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

any 'rule' or 'law' enforced by a smug, shortarse, retarded, sanctimonious, jobsworth phucker with no regard to the context or circumstances in which his precious rule has been broken

You are sooo going to get into trouble with the mods iDave …..

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Not really – because most of it is bollox. They take away 'common sense' and introduced pointless rules without any thought

Isn't the problem that those that make the laws cannot guarantee 'common sense' so have to make rules to accommodate those without it?

To us it may be a case of natural selection in process, to others it may be a case of life or death*.

* 😉

2hottie
    Free Member

Those who have loads of kids yet don't work and WILL NOT WORK because they don't have too! Why the phook do we as a country make it so easy for these scum bags! **** mugs me off!

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Did anyone mention the "work trial" thing?

I know it's not legislation, but it probably will soon be, so bear with me. And it will not interfere with the financially comfortable with cosseted whelps, but it may well do in time.

Instead of interviews for low paying insecure jobs, we now have "work trials."

Ok, I can understand an employer wanting to try out a potential employee for a few hours, or a day even…but did you know that many british citizens now are required to work for at least a week without pay in order to "apply" for a shelf stacking job?

OK, you get your JSA, but in reality that's a week stacking shelves for £64 a week. And only one in ten of you will get that three month variable location "be prepared to travel 1.5 hours either way" shelf stacking position afterwards. So much for minimum wage. So much for a first world nation.

That's something that annoys me.

shoefiti
    Free Member

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife.

She's looking really good lately too whilst doing the gardening in her short shorts. 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The pathetic so called Hunting Ban. Doesn't help anyone except chippy class warriors like Darcy…. 😉 Total waste of parliamentary time and an unnecessary piece of legislation.

On a serious note, I find it amazing that there's a legal minimum temperature for a working site, but no legal maximum. IMO, heat is more dangerous than cold, as you can put on more clothes to keep warm, but there's little you can do to keep cool!

Oh, and the 70mph speed limit is too low on motorways for modern cars. A law I have a personal association with, as my grandfather and his mates were somewhat responsible for it happening!

CaptJon
    Free Member

IT dept's rule saying i can't use the wired network because the computer is my own (which i have to because work computers aren't equipped for me to do my job!). The wifi network doesn't let you print or send email ffs!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

as my grandfather and his mates were somewhat responsible for it happening!

Why, what speed did they drive around at ?

rolfharris
    Free Member

Almost everything related to airport security- no this, no that, behave yourself, don't do anything that could even be remotely taken the wrong way, don't smile, take yourself too seriously- all for what? Nothing. Just make every innocent person feel guilty because of perhaps 30 people in the whole world. Seriously, am I, a young white guy, really going to blow up a plane in the name of Allah? No! So leave me alone and let me keep my belt on and take enough shower gel to last my holiday, please. I also don't approve of how airlines get away with murder in charging for stuff.

Oh, I also don't like paying for parking, speed cameras and footpaths.

When I'm king…

Gooner
    Free Member

not being able to cycle on footpaths!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

CF, I would love to meet you, you surely can't live up to your on-line persona!
    Are you seriously saying it was your relatives that drove up the M1 at 150 mph in an e-type?
    Or your forefathers that started hunting in England?

For someone with such an opinion on how we should spend our money, you show very little wealth in your actual posts other than words.

Proof please,… sir*

*said jokingly, but in a put up or shut up way 🙂

skidartist
    Free Member

On a serious note, I find it amazing that there's a legal minimum temperature for a working site, but no legal maximum

I think there is, sort of. I think the temperature shouldn't be more than 10 degrees above the ambient temp outdoors.

As for motorway speed limits – the capabilities of modern cars are of no consequence – its the humans, not the cars that do the driving.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Anything that restricts where I can go in the countryside – I hate keep out/off/away signs that seem to be everywhere and threaten prosecution. If we had the same access legislation here that I used to enjoy in Scotland life would be much enriched.

If we could gain this freedom I would gladly give up another… there should be a minimum speed limit too. I get utterly, utterly hacked off stuck behind people driving around the Lakes at 20mph, slowing for the corners and NOT pulling into passing places/laybys to allow the snake of traffic behind to get past.

deft
    Free Member

The dole!

DrDolittle
    Free Member

I think there is, sort of. I think the temperature shouldn't be more than 10 degrees above the ambient temp outdoors.

When did that become legislation?

skidartist
    Free Member

Seriously, am I, a young white guy, really going to blow up a plane in the name of Allah?

A young white guy blew up a train in Madrid in the name of Allah, and a young white guy tried to blow up a restaraunt in the south west in the name of Allah.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

As for motorway speed limits – the capabilities of modern cars are of no consequence – its the humans, not the cars that do the driving.

That has been a bugbear of mine for years, why can a 100 (insert any age here) year old in a 1950's morris minor do the same speed as a 30 year old in a new Ferrari designed to stop on a dime?

rolfharris
    Free Member

Skidartist- was he a british student who'd never even been to the far east?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Anything that restricts where I can go in the countryside – I hate keep out/off/away signs that seem to be everywhere and threaten prosecution. If we had the same access legislation here that I used to enjoy in Scotland life would be much enriched.

TBF Scotland's population is ten times less than England's, but has 3/5 of the land area.

aracer
    Free Member

Yes, but the limits were set based on the cars capabilities, not the humans (anybody who's incapable of driving on a motorway at 80 in good conditions shouldn't be driving on a motorway IMHO).

DrDolittle
    Free Member

That has been a bugbear of mine for years, why can a 100 (insert any age here) year old in a 1950's morris minor do the same speed as a 30 year old in a new Ferrari designed to stop on a dime?

Urgh, and why does anybody want to do a 100 on a road used by normal people who just use it as the only way from A to Z?

Selfishness? Lack of empathy? Criminal austism?

aracer
    Free Member

TBF Scotland's population is ten times less than England's, but has 3/5 of the land area.

Which means there is even more reason for the majority of the population in England to be allowed to go where they like, rather than being told they can't by a tiny minority.

crazy-legs

If we could gain this freedom I would gladly give up another… there should be a minimum speed limit too.

How the hell do you enforce a *minimum* speed limit?!

Re the original question though, I'll go with access laws as well. Along with any other archaic and out-of-date legislation. Also, laws that were railroaded through as a kneejerk reaction without being thought out – gun laws in the wake of Dunblane/anti-terrorism laws after 9/11 & 7/7 for example

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘What rule or legislation do you hate the most?’ is closed to new replies.