Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What router to replace BT home hub 3?
  • alanf
    Free Member

I have infinity and a HH3 but the firewall manageability on the hub is not great.

I’m looking for something that will have a bit more control over what content can be accessed via the router.

Any ideas on a new router that will allow a bit more control?

Cougar

Content?

OpenDNS?

alanf
    Free Member

Thanks Cougar, that’s just what I’m after although the home hub doesn’t seem to like me trying to change the DNS settings so it may be a non starter, or it may just be me being dim

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alanf
    Free Member

Looks like I can’t change the DNS settings on the HH3 so it’s back to which router?

messiah
    Free Member

I have the same set up but different issues. The wifi on the HH3 keeps losing devices and the only way to get them back is to reset them all. Its happening daily and its really peeing me off. I’ve been through the HH3 and tried the wifi on quiet channels but it makes little difference. The HH2 I had before was more stable but it won’t run with the Infinity box. Most of my devices are hardwired in and they work fine its just the wifi which is poor. Looking through the BT forums shows I’m not alone and no other fixes seem to be available other than changing the wifi router.

Speaking to a geeky friend of mine about it he suggested the Dark Knight

Much greater functionality than I require at the moment but he is very impressed with his and has set up his kids on a different wifi network with restricted access etc etc. I’ll probably do the same as my kids are starting to look at the internet and what they look at is only going to get more worrying as they get older.

Edit. Not the cheapest solution but the additional functionality might prove worth while.

delibury
    alanf
    Free Member

I’ve not had any problems with the HH3 as such but would like a little more control over it.

The Dark Knight looks good but is a little pricey, anything else in the cheaper end of the spectrum?

somouk
    Free Member

The Dark Knight looks good but is a little pricey, anything else in the cheaper end of the spectrum?

I’ve used DD-WRT on a few routers and it’s a fantastic bit of kit.

alanf
    Free Member

I’ve had a look at the compatible routers and the HH3 doesn’t seem to be on there.
    I think the router appears to be locked down so its pretty difficult to change any of the settings

sharkbait
    Free Member

How about buying a s/h hardware firewall (such as sonicwall) and put it inside your network so all traffic goes through it before getting to the router. Then set up access rules as you see fit.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I would have thought that a sonicwall was massive overhill for a residential environment.

Flaperon

I swapped from the Home Hub to a Netgear router and have been entirely happy. Speed went from 5 to 7Mb as well, which helps!

alanf
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses.

Flaperon – any links to the netgear router.
    I would presumably be able to use OpenDNS on that?

P20

We’ve got that Asus dark knight. Nice easy to use interface compared to netgear.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Another shout out for an ASUS router, the slightly cheaper RT-56NU. I use Open DNS with no problems on it. Would prolly have bought the 66 if I had the cash. Originally purchased a Netgear N600 which had a much better GUI and roughly equivalent performance but it died after 2 weeks.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im surprised to see someone complain about a Netgear GUI, been setting up routers for years, its one of the best ones out there.

alanf
    Free Member

So Netgear N600 looks good – anything else similar to this or is this a tried and trusted router?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What router to replace BT home hub 3?’ is closed to new replies.