Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • what 'roadie' tyres for winter
  • elaineanne
    Free Member

so im relatively new to the roadie cycling (few months into it)….
    TBH what im running at the mo mite be ok for winter too…. ive just had a look at the what it says on the tyre which is Specialized (all condition) and in red it reads ” high durability -all weather compound ) so would i be ok…. ive never ridden a road bike in winter conditions before….

crikey
    Free Member

There is no need to have different tyres for winter on a road bike. There is no need on a mountain bike either, but that’s a whole different STW argument..

mudshark
    Free Member

Some useful info here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-road-bike-tyres

BTW, worth using tyres with extra protection as getting a puncture is more likely in the wet and more of a PITA in the cold.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Continental Gp4000S here.

aP
    Free Member

Do you go to a shop and ask for mountie tires?

elaineanne
    Free Member

tires ? 😉
    any more info crickey…..so what your saying is run the same tryes on whatever bike you have forever… i thnk we all need mud tyres for winter on out MTB,s tho… i run mountain kings in summer and a thicker tyre in winter on the MTB..or is it all just a gimmik and we are all wasting our hard earned cash…

RealMan
    Free Member

gp4000s for everything, you’ll be fine, awesome tyre.

crikey
    Free Member

In my opinion its not required. The difference between winter and summer is temperature rather than mud in the NW of England, so swapping mountain bike tyres is not an issue. Road tyres are the same.
    Others may disagree, but they are simple and wrong.

Gary_M
    Free Member

conti gp 4 season for me but I use them all year round on my commuter. I don’t bother using ‘winter tyres’ on my proper road bike.

peteimpreza

same as the summer for me.

Continental Force/Attack

cannondaleking
    Free Member

ive been using schwalbe marathon plus tyres 700×25 for winter riding and commuting not super fast do weigh a little but they dont flat out easy ie ever 😆

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Conti Gatorskins all year for me.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Please, never use Rubino Pros, lethal on anything approaching moist.
    Another vote for Conti 4 Seasons.

Merak

Michelin Krylion Carbon’s fare well.

brakes
    Free Member

Conti GP4000s with black chilli.
    expensive, but stick like shit to a blanket in all conditions.
    are the roads wet significantly more often in winter?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Schwalbe Durano, excellent long lasting and good wet weather grip.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I didn’t find Michelin Krylion Carbon’s particularly hard wearing or very puncture proof. Nice supple tyre though.

brakes
    Free Member

I had Michelin Krylions and they did cut up easily – mine had not really worn that much but I had to change them as each tyre had about 10 cuts in them, a couple through to the carcass.
    Other than that a good tyre, but not as supple as the Conti GPs.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Conti 4 seasons all year round for me.

MoreCashThanDash

One puncture in something like 3000 commuting miles with my last pair of Krylion Carbons, getting on for 2000 miles puncture free* with the latest pair on my Roubaix, does me quite happily.

* Yes, I know, I’m cursed now I’ve said it…..

jonba
    Free Member

Personally I run cheaper tyres in winter because I’m not racing and want to save some money. I also run puncture protected tyres because it is more annoying getting a puncture when it is cold.

Some people prefer to run fatter tyres for comfort and percieved grip.

TiRed

Schwalbe Durano Plus. Have been great in the rain, roll well and zero punctures during their first 1000+ miles. Not the lightest, but better than standing by the roadside in the rain.

DanW
    Free Member

Another vote for Conti Gatorskins.

Super grip, cheap, great puncture protection and great wear all year round which are my priorities (although I am not a super hardcore roadie so can’t comment on the fractions of differences in speed between tyres 😀 ).

soulboy
    Free Member

Conti GP4000 25mm. Excellent grip, fast, comfortable and copes well with poor road surfaces.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve been recommended the Conti Gator Hardshells. Anyone here been riding them? I ordered my Schwalbe Marathon Winters this week too….

Northwind

Depends on where you ride and what you ride in surely? If the bike goes away as soon as snow threatens then fair enough, one tyre to rule them all but brilliant as they are, GP4000’s are crap at gravel and hopeless at snow.

I switch to a mtb when the weather’s bad but if I was going to stay on my road bike I guess I’d get some 700c smallblocks.

MrSmith
    Free Member

gatorskins are horrible, they go squeaky on wet surfaces and give a horrible ride, 4000s or 4000 with the black chilli compound are worth the extra. (or 4-seasons as a compromise between the 2, don’t roll as fast but good grip)

tomsk01
    Free Member

Bontrager Race Lite hard case, not too heavy, and haven’t had a puncture with them in two years of use

footflaps

I use super cheap Schwalbe Blizzard Sports – great tyre and only £6.99!

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/TYSCBLSPF/schwalbe-blizzard-sport-folding-tyre

birdage

Duranos for me. Fast and one pinch puncture in 14 months. Grip well in all conditions. I ride everyday. Gatorskins seemed heavier and slipped out from under me in some wet and also morning frost conditions. Never felt confident with them after that.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

I use super cheap Schwalbe Blizzard Sports – great tyre and only £6.99!

yeah great if you like kneeling in slush as you fix your 3rd puncture

footflaps

The Blizzard Sports are more resistant than GP4000s, very flinty round here and the Schwalbes stand up fine to 1000s of miles over winter without puncturing (I used to average 250 miles a week over winter when I was racing).

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘what 'roadie' tyres for winter’ is closed to new replies.