• This topic has 28 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by SamB.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • what roadie pump? what co2 inflator?
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

new to roadie kit, got my 1st road puncture the other day and was woefully unprepared (in fact i just used my buddies kit )any tips?

johnnystorm

http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/index.php

Ultraflate plus here. 16g a decent size, take threaded or unthreaded (bit cheaper), can seal part-used carts, big enough to “pop on” tubeless 29er tyres, can store a cartridge in it without breaking the seal and the holder stops your hands getting cold burns. 🙂 http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/index.php often have a deal but they appear out of stock.

globalti
    Free Member

In my experience there isn’t any hand pump that will let you achieve proper pressure out on the road. You need a track pump for that and there’s none better than the Topeak JoeBlow. Don’t buy a mountain bike pump with a fat barrel for big volume at low pressure, it will kill you on road tyres.

Out on the road, small and light is the watchword so you might as well go for something like Lezyne’s little pumps, they are beautifully made and will fit in a jersey pocket or snugly alongside your drink bottle. Carry a spare inner tube as well. If you do need to use it, be prepared for a strange and rather unsettling ride on a squidgy tyre until you can get to somewhere with a track pump.

atlaz
    Free Member

I have a bontrager dual pump thing. CO2 and hand pump just in case. Quite small and light too.

In fact it’s this Air Rush Road. 68g

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I would recommend the Lezyne Road Drive CFH.
    It’s a great stand alone pump, but also doubles up as a C02 inflator.

kilo

globalti – Member

In my experience there isn’t any hand pump that will let you achieve proper pressure out on the road. You need a track pump for that and there’s none better than the Topeak JoeBlow.

I use a specialized airtool and one of these

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/zefal/rev-88-frame-fit-pump-ec039525?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle&utm_content=mkwid__pcrid_17321847296_kword__match__plid_

both perfectly capable of reaching decent road pressures, I’ve found the joe blow track pump to be a lot more temperamental than a rennkompressor

Out on the road, small and light is the watchword…

If your racing a tt maybe, if you’re an overweight mamil on a club run / social the weight of a frame pump is going to make naff all difference so get a pump that can do the job.

carlphillips
    Free Member

thanks chaps, i’ll have a look at them all today at some point.

Haze

I use an Innovations chuck and carry a Co2 cart, very small a pretty easy to use.

Keep thinking I should get a ‘proper’ pump as back up or to replace entirely.

Lezyne road drive gets my vote, although I don’t fancy it on the frame…so long as I can convince myself it’ll fit nicely in my jersey pocket. Anyone do this?

carlphillips
    Free Member

@haze, a quick google reveals that the road drive may be a tad big for rear pocket stowage.

Bikepimp
    Free Member

Genuine innovations and have various options..

Haze

Yeah, read a few of those but there’s also some saying it only pops out a little. Can’t decide if I mind that or not….

mrmo
    Free Member

for home use get a rennokompressor, the amount of steel and iron in it means it doubles as a club if you ever need one!

On the road the only really decent pumps are frame fits such as the Zefal HPX, i have a backburn that is years old that works but takes a while. Normally just use a CO2 cartridge.

One comment, when you try and inflate using CO2, make sure the tyre is seated properly BEFORE you inflate!!!!

carlphillips
    Free Member

I’ve a silca track pump i use at home, its not massively adept at reaching roadie pressures without a bit of a struggle, but suffices.
    I’m looking for a mini/midi pump ideally, i like the idea of the old school tubes that come out of the lezynes and take some pressure off the valve whilst pumping.

Sandwich

Topeak roadmorph, 100psi in a couple of minutes and it has a pressure guage. The Lezyne version was cack as far as I was concerned.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Got several Truflo CO2 gadgets. Fine. A 16grm cartridge put 90psi into a 38mm hybrid tyre yesterday.
    For the road you won’t beat a full length pump by Blackburn or the like.

johnnystorm

When using co2 as well as checking the tyre is seated also check that the puncture wasn’t caused by a slash in the tyre….hissss…BANG!

joemarshall
    Free Member

Frame fit pumps are always with the bike, and are easy enough to get a tyre up to 100psi with.

Mini pumps either weigh the same, but aren’t so easy or tidy to carry , or are teeny weeny and can’t get decent pressure.

It kind of depends – with a mini pump you can get home at a slower pace. With a frame fit, you can just go on with a ride.

Co2 might be good, I hate the idea of being limited in how many punctures you can repair though (except for obviously how many tubes and patches you have), and you might not want to lend it to a mate if you are low on them.

carlphillips
    Free Member

Frame fit pumps, are they OK for using with carbon frames?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Yes, no problem. You might want a frame protection sticker underneath bits that touch, but thats the same as every frame material.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Kilo, I bought a rev88 on the basis it was worth a punt for £6. It struggles to top 60psi – not great for roadie skinnies but probably ok for bigger volume commuter tyres though.

ransos
    Free Member

In my experience there isn’t any hand pump that will let you achieve proper pressure out on the road.

My Lezyne gets 80 PSI without too much bother, which is close enough. It also uses an old school hose attachment to the valve so it’s less likely to cause damage. The only downside is it can unscrew the valve core – Continental are a particular problem.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I use a Lezyne semi track pump, frame mounted behind the bottle cage
    Its actually the HV rather that HP version as I use it on both MTB and road bikes.
    I can get it up to 90 odd psi no bother which is fine….

I know its against “The Rules” but with tiny bits of Norfolk flint on most of our roads, it can be a godsend (got 3 punctures within 40 miles on a club ride a couple of months back)I`d have been stuck with a CO2 solution

globalti
    Free Member

It’s just that a long pump looks so naff against a nice shapely carbon frame…..

julianwilson
    Free Member

This is cheap at the upgrade distribution ‘outlet’.

The only downside is it can unscrew the valve core – Continental are a particular problem.

Although I have also just bought a couple of conti tubes as spares. 😕

Dales_rider
    Free Member

+1
    For the Air Rush only down side is once the cartridge is on the pump no longer fits in a small saddle pack.
    Yet tofind ideal one, Lezyne may be the answer ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Do people use the CO2 to finish off the pumping or get it started? The former would make more sense I reckon. Have to be careful not to over-inflate though.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

With combined pump/CO2 a few strkes to make tyre seat then just let rip with the gas, instant 100psi in road tyre 30-35 on an MTB

SamB
    Free Member

I use Conti innertubes and have had the valve-unscrewing problem with a screw-on-hose pump. What tubes don’t have this problem?

Note that I do actually need to be able to get the valve core out so I can get valve extenders on there…

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘what roadie pump? what co2 inflator?’ is closed to new replies.