Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What Road Tyres and/or Inner Tubes?
  • souldrummer
    Free Member

I have had another incident where my inner tube exploded and the tyre blew off the rim on my road bike. Tyres are Hutchinson Fusion 2 Kevlar and wheels are Mavic Ksyrium Elite. This has happened before but I am off to the Alps in a few weeks time and really don’t want this to happen on the way down an Alpine pass.
    Can anyone suggest a decent fast rolling road tyre (preferably with some kind of puncture protection) which would actually stay on the rims when, and if, the inner tube goes. I am using Kenda inner tubes (at 110psi) but they seem to heat up very easily (and I try not to drag my brakes) and just go bang, thereby blowing the tyre off the rim.
    Thanks

RealMan
    Free Member

Using conti gp4000s here, they’re fantastic. Was running some super light conti inner tubes but then had a blowout coming down a road in the Alps, and I didn’t die. Now using far more sensible (and considerably cheaper) normal conti tubes.

aP
    Free Member

Unless you’re very fat then don’t ruu your tires at 110psi if they keep going pop. Its a common mistake – there’s usually loads of punctures on the descents of rides like la Marmotte with people who pumped their tires up too much.
    I prefer Vredestein Fotezza Tricomp Quattro tires.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Happy with both GP4000s and Shwalbe Ultremo ZX……

souldrummer
    Free Member

I’m 5’11”and weigh 12 stone 8lbs so not too large. Might try 100psi but it feels weird dropping pressure, as I have always ridden high pressures on my road bikes. Bit old skool I suppose.

But thanks for the replies so far – very useful.

mudshark
    Free Member

I use Bontrager Race X Lites on my Ksyrium Elites, just switched to light weight Michelin tubes which have been great so far unlike the Schwalbe light weight ones I tried 1st which were rubbish.

I’m 72kg and use 110 psi no problems for me. Thinking about trying tubeless sometime though, the Elites seems suitable.

globalti
    Free Member

Michelin Pro 3s on my roadie, at 100lbs, I find them fantastic and have only had one puncture in 4500 miles but that was in a race in South Africa where some local Cape Coloured lads had thrown tacks on the road and were collecting inner tubes half a mile further on.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What Road Tyres and/or Inner Tubes?’ is closed to new replies.